“location may not be everything!”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Portree
“location may not be everything!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Situated on the Ness river facing Inverness castle, this has to be one of the best situated hotels for exploring the city. However, parking can be tricky. You have to use back streets or Eden Court car park, past the Cathedral. The small space out front is reserved for the frequent coach parties to park up. It's not close to the rail/bus station but for most would be walkable-depending on the size of your luggage.

My room was a twin that was of an acceptable size. Being on the top floor it was hot, possibly suitable for tourists from warmer climes. The window only opens a small way and thus was not very effective for cooling the room. My view was towards the local Tesco store and not the castle/river.

The breakfast is of a self service buffet type, so eat what, and how much, you like. The evening meal was reasonably priced but limited in choice and quality.

the staff were polite and approachable.

the word average probably suits this victorian built hotel best

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following a recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that the team looked after you and your kind words will be shared with them. It is always a great joy to see them recongised for thier hard work. We do not have onsite parking, however we do have a drop off point outside the hotel and off road parking surrounding with a very good car park only 500 yards away. I am surprised that you found the options for dinner limited , we have a traditional 3 course daily menu, giving 4 options for each course in our restuarant and around 30 options on our bistro menu in MacNabs. Unfortunately, our windows on the upper floors do only open a certain level due to health and safety measures but we can deliver fans to rooms when requested. I appreicate your feedback as, with all feedback it is carefully reviewed and used to ensure we are continually improving. I really hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With best wishes, Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had stayed here before, with a room overlooking the river and Inverness Castle, and it was lovely. I just didn't understand the negative reviews I had read; then I stayed here again. Perhaps one should just never go back ...

Anyway, things started poorly. The young woman on reception was very friendly, very polite, but nonetheless telling us that our 2PM check-in would now be a 3PM check-in - the rooms had not been cleaned. Irritating, but we went for a wander round Inverness, returning a little after 3 - to be told that our rooms were still not ready! Half and hour or so in the very poor hotel bar passed, and our rooms were finally ready. This is when I discovered that this grand, if dilapidated, Victorian hotel has a hidden modern annexe, overlooking not the castle but a Tesco and the hotel's laundry and rubbish collection points.

The rooms were pokey and stuffy, the ceilings low, and the windows hardly opened. The beds were comfy, give or take the fact that they ended around my ankles. We went out for a very nice meal (The Mustard Seed, reviewed separately) and came back, around 10:30 to find the hotel bar already closed and cashed up. 'Kindly' they let me charge a double whisky to my room (£15 for a plain Bruichladdich 10). I ordered a wake-up call and retired to bed.

In the morning I was surprisingly awoken by housekeeping (at 9AM, which seemed very odd given they couldn't have a room ready by 2PM!). Doubly surprising as my alarm call had been scheduled for 8:30. As a result I was late to breakfast, and left with cold food (though they did bring fresh bacon). Reception staff were once more friendly and apologetic (I suspect they have a lot of practice at making friendly apologies).

Checked-out, and to be fair reception again lovely, kept our bags safe so we could enjoy more of Inverness. On our return, we decided to have a leaving drink in the bar - bad idea! Not only is the service poor, but the only decent beer (Lowenbrau) was "unavailable", whilst the one draft cider was off because someone had broken the pump. This time we left, wandered over to the exquisitely ugly Mercure hotel on the other side of the river, because it does have a surprisingly nice bar.

In short, I'll definitely visit Inverness again, it's a gorgeous little city, but I will also definitely find somewhere else to stay when I do.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room in the main hotel not the annexe/extension. Ask for a river view. Though i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a recent stay with us. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations on your stay with us. Our check-in time is 3pm onwards and I am sorry if we were slightly later with this or you have been given any other time which I will address with my front of house team. We do have many types of rooms and all our standard rooms have standard size beds and with different views. Our location is stunning however unfortuntely not every room can have a River view. I will take on board your comments and share your constructive feedback with my team, as we can always improve to ensure we are delivering great service every time. I am sorry that this time we let our usual high standards slip and there can never be any excuses for that. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to see what changes we have made. With best regards, Amy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. The 1st time being a few years ago. The rooms are nice and roomy. The interior is old but not dated. The staff were very friendly, although at breakfast there seemed to be just one waitress who was rushed off her feet. Great setting next to the river and a short walk from the town.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us and your kind words will be shard with my team. We do have an on going refurbishment program in place and I hope you can come and stay with us soon to see what changes we have made. With warm regards, Amy
Melrose, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at the Columba for work purposes. Its a nice hotel that does a good breakfast, has helpful & friendly staff and is in a really central location. But, it is looking a bit tired now and could do with a fresh lick of paint. My room was clean & spacious with a comfortable bed but, as it was at the back, very warm & quite noisy. All in all, it was good value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recnt stay with us. I was delighted that overall we ticked so many boxes for you and your kind words will be shared with my team. We do have an on going refurbishment program in place and I hope we have the chance to see you back soon and you can see the changes we are making over the coming months.With warm regards, Amy
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Whilst the hotel is presentable and the staff at reception were very helpful when we arrived I had very mixed thoughts. The hotel is tired, our door handle was broken as was the frame on window. Shower was dreadful!! However we had a good night sleep - but was let down next day. My husband advised reception someone had walked dog poo into lobby - it was still there when we left 2 hrs later. Breakfast was not great/cold and the waitresses were very noisy clattering plates, etc as they cleaned around us - we really felt harassed to leave. A couple of times we had to negotiate piles of suitcases. Housekeeping knocked at door at 9.30 and again I felt we should be out of room even though checkout was 11am! All in all I don't think I would return - think its more suited to the large bus parties.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. It is always a shame to read that we did not carry across great services and products throughtout the hotel and your feedback will be shared with my team to enusre we learn from this and improve. I am sorry that we let you leave with these views. I do hope we will have the opportinuty to welcome you back again. With best regards, Amy
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

For a 4star hotel this is a very tired and not worth visiting.It is full of tour groups on the 2nights we stayed and we didn't rate.Breakfast was cold and the worst we have had in 4 weeks of travelling.We were very disappointed in our choice.Stay in May 1213.

Room Tip: Must upgrade to an Excutive room so at least you have a view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your thoughts following a stay with us. It is such a disappointment to read that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. I am really sorry for this. I do hope you raised some of your concerns during the time of your stay, as I know my team would of done thier utmost to try and accommodate any issues you felt. This does not excuse any shortfalls in our product or services and I will ensure we address this fully where possible. I am sincerely sorry you felt this way about our hotel. With best regards, Amy

Travelers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked this hotel for 1 night stay prior to a boating holiday on the Caledonia Canal. After booking it I saw some reviews which really slated it, so I was worried. I need not have been. The room was HUGE, beautifully furnished & decorated and the view over the River Ness and Inverness Castle was spectacular. The staff were very friendly and efficient and gave us good advice for evening entertainment. Breakfast the following morning was traditionally Scottish and very tasty. We had an executive room with breakfast for less than we have paid elsewhere for a basic room. We will definitely return here

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John D
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw on your recent stay. I was delighted that you enjoyed all aspects fo your stay with us and your kind words will be shared with my team. I hope you can come and stay with us soon and we all look forward to welcoming you back. With warm regards, Amy