“Perfect location”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel easy to find with prime location on River Ness. Main centre of Inverness within easy walking distance. Slight problem with our room on arrival but was sorted out quickly and professionally by duty manager "Jason", thank you. Room's a little tired but perfectly adequate. Bed very squeaky when moving about but comfortable. En suite door also very squeaky. (Room 305) . Excellent breakfast and happy, helpful service staff. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed staying with us and thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with my team. Please accept my apologies for the delay in your room being ready but I am pleased Jason looked after you. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon to the Columba. With kindest regards, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Columba Hotel, Inverness

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and in a great location in Inverness centre. The receptionist was helpful and we were checked in quickly. We were in room 111 which we had to take the stairs, walk through the corridor, through stairs and around corners before we could find it. Every step taken was squeaky due to the age of the building. The room itself was lovely, but had 2 single beds merged as one big bed instead of a double. The mattress was so old and squeaky, it disturbed my sleep at night. The room was nice and warm and had everything you need from a hotel (hairdryer, kettle, ironing board, cupboard, hangers, tv, towels etc). We also liked the 11am check out time which is more generous than other hotels we have stayed in. Unfortunately, we did not take advantage of the breakfast provided and therefore cannot provide a feedback for it. Overall a fair hotel, but I wouldn't go back unless everywhere else was expensive.

Room Tip: Don't ask for room 111.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I must say I was alittle taken aback when I saw the score and then after reading the review found that we ticked so many boxes for you in regards to clean, warm room, all the amentieis you would want and that the team were helpful.
We are an old building dating back to 1880's but we feel this adds to our charm and character with a lift that takes guests to every level of the hotel.
I am sorry if you found the matress not to your liking and will immediately check this.
I do hope that you will return to us and I am sorry that we did not meet with all your expectations. With kindest regards, General Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just arrived... I'm a professional singer performing at Eden court. Sadly staying for three nights in a rubbish room. Requested a river view room. Received a room with Terrible view of local housing development.
Reception area is lovely but communal areas very tired, scuffed walls etc. Original receptionist v helpful on arrival, when we came back to pick up keys, the staff seemed less than keen to go the extra mile.
Room 323 itself -
V small room, oppressive and dated. Dirty walls and doors,
dirty fittings,
textured wallpaper ceiling,
hairs in the carpet,
lacked any character,
chipped window paintwork,
Plug points stuffed with paper.

Chose this hotel for a bit of luxury and comfort with my partner, instead we have a small oppressive room which is nowhere near 4star worthy.

A bit more than sad I have to be here for 3 nights when a local B&B may have had something more comfortable for my working stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your stay was not all your exected it to be. Sadly we cannot accommodate all requests with River views and although we do try our best we do have alot of advance upgraded bookings to secure these rooms. I am more than confident my team would of done their uptmost to re-alloacte another room more to your liking and I do hope you gave us this opportunity by rasing at the time of your stay with the team. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations and I hope that if you are visiting again we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. Best regards, General Manager

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Everything about The Columba was tired, and a little decrepit. I had to change room and the replacement, while being a lot bigger, had a cold draft coming from the window frame. It was just OK, the bed was comfy and the bedlinen of decent quality.
On the plus side the Columba is extremely well located, overlooking the river, and just across a short bridge from Inverness Castle and the main shopping area. Its OK for an overnight but I would not claim it was either luxurious, or 4* as the website claims. Yes its historic, but that seems to mean that its tired and old-fashioned. Its an OK 3*, just make sure you pay 3* prices. Staff did their best and were polite and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to overlook the river.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I have noted your comments on decorating. We do have a extensive ongoing program in place and I do hope you will return to us to see what work we have carried out. Thank you for your valuable feedback. With best regards, General Manager

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked this hotel as a very last minute deal, we had read mixed reviews, so called the hotel before making the booking to insure that we would be provided with a nice room.....the girl, was most helpful and said that she would personally check the room and make sure that it would be up to standard for us.... happy with this fact, we went ahead and booked, upon arrivial, we went in to the bar, which was a bit dated and the beer was flat. we then proceeded to check in, which went fine, we were greated by the girl that we spoke to on the phone, so we were confident that the room would be nice....... our confidence was short lived...... the room was dated, grim even, the heater on the wall was not big enough for the size of room, the T.V was tiny and to make it worse, the "Double" bed was infact 2 singles pushed together, and if this wasnt bad enough, the matresses we totally different, one had certainly seen better days and the other one very firm. which didnt result in a great nights sleep I also would like to add, that anyone that likes a hot and powerful shower, shouldnt stay here!!! unless springs to mind when it came to showering.... The only good things i can find to say is that the breakfast was good.... not the best, but ok. I would also say the location of this hotel is excellent..... but even with this, we wouldnt choose to stay again, the hotel is in need of some major refurb !!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for your constructive thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am sorry if we did not meet with all your expecatations and your feedback is paramount in ensuring we are continually improving on all our services across the board. I hope you gave us the opportunity to rectify some of your points at the time as we truly want all our guests to leave happy. I hope if you are staying in the area again, you will think of us. With best regards, General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here on a very low rate, prob all i would pay to stay here. Certainly not worth the price i was told got charged in the summer of £200+ per night. Rooms are very basic and a little run down. Bathroom freezing as towel rail in room not radiator, chipped sink. Wardrobe placement mean difficult to get to light switch. Floorboards in hallways are uneven so would be easy to twist ankle.
Good side is staff are nice and friendly and yes location is good.
needs money spent on rooms

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw on Columba Hotel. I was peased that the team looked after you and that your enjoyed our location. We certainly do have wonderful views over the River Ness and Inverness Castle, with a central location.
We have a great many varied rooms on offer and have just refurbished 60 bathrooms, so I hope you will have the opportunity to return and sample one of our other rooms as we do try when we know to accommodate all our guests expectations.
I hope we see you soon at the Columba Hotel.
Best regards, General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights recently at a good rate for B&B. The room (226) was at the back of the hotel, and was nice and quiet. Although the hotel is starting to look a little frayed at the edges - stains on the wallpaper and tired carpets, our room was very clean, quite spacious and the bathroom was good. The twin beds were really comfortable too. Every time I walked along the corridor to the front of the hotel, one of the lights was flickering - it reminded me of that scene in The Shining, and I had a bit of a giggle each time I passed. However, the big staircase is lovely and the decor at the front of the hotel is much nicer.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant and it was good to be able to access McNab's bar from the hotel. The only thing that let the hotel down was the cooked breakfast buffet. The first morning, I had the cooked breakfast and it was the only time I've ever had a fried egg that I could lift the top off like a lid! The bacon, egg, in fact everything on my plate smelled of fish, it was so disgusting, I couldn't eat it, and I hate wasting food. The second morning I ordered porridge and it was delicious. I've had pretty poor breakfast buffets before, but this was the worst ever I think. So, stick to the cereal, toast and porridge is my advice!
The hotel is really handy for shopping in town and has lovely views of the river.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspect of your stay with us but I was sorry to read that we failed to deliver our usual high standards on breakfast and will address this immediately. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. With best regards, General Manager.