“You NEED to stay here!”

Inverness Student Hotel
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I loved every minute of my stay at the Inverness student hostel. The staff made me feel at home and they also made me laugh, a lot! I originally planned to stay for 2 nights but extended it to 7 because I loved it so much. The building has a lot of character and is cosy and warm inside so it's hard to leave.
The dorms are very clean and you get 2 pillows! 2! Amazing! My neck says thank you!
I will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
manager088, Owner at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your time in our hostel and hope to welcome you back again in the future :)

Reviewed March 28, 2014

My stay at Inverness Student Hotel was fabulous! I absolutely adored your delightful and very welcoming staff members and if I were to return to Inverness, I would be very happy to stay there again. They provided me with so much information to help me get around the town during my stay.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well stocked the kitchen was and even further impressed with the variety of food items on offer to use in the kitchen and the added benefit of toiletry items in the bathrooms just in case you might have forgotten your own. The breakfast was a great variety of items and all for only £2! I think my favourite thing was the ever-changing shape, colour and size of the scones baked by different night porters for breakfast the next morning ;) The lounge setting was comforting and allowed residents to mix and mingle.

Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review.

All of the Night Porters chuckled at your comment about the ever changing scones.... it is so true too - you can tell who has been on the night before!!

We'll very much look forward to welcoming you back when you next get the chance to pop up for a visit - it is always lovely having such a friendly, happy soul around the place to blether with.

Continue enjoying your job in London and you'll always be welcome back up in the Highlands.
Many thanks again - your review put a smile on all of our faces.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed here for three nights and overall loved it. The free hot chocolate, tea and coffee is great. Breakfast was one of the best on offer I had in two months of travelling around Europe (have their toasted muesli - SO delicious!!) The evening fire is wonderful; I'd give them an extra point just for this. The staff and long-term stayers are friendly. Managers were helpful when asked questions about how to get to different places.

The atmosphere is what makes this place. I loved coming in after a day out, having my hot chocolate and just sitting in front of the fire watching the sun set behind the mountains which you can see out the living room windows. I felt like I was hanging out in a friend's living room.

The negatives would be the small showers, and the mattress was a bit thin but not so much that you couldn't get a decent sleep. I've certainly paid more for worse places. The kitchen is a little small, but it just means if you want to cook a meal, you are flexible and eat earlier or later than "rush hour". No biggie.

This place is not for you if you like to party all night (actually, Inverness itself is probably not for you).
This place is not for you if you like an impersonal "hotel" feel or think holidays are for watching tv in your room.
This place IS for you if you are easy-going, enjoy talking to and chilling out with strangers, and relaxing (doing nothing, maybe playing darts or a board game with another guest).

NOTE: It was relatively quiet when I was there. It might get crowded when they are at capacity, especially the bathrooms and small kitchen/dining area.

Room Tip: I chose a "mixed dorm" and was a little worried about winding up alone in a room with a we...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review - it has to be said you were a joy to have around and will always be welcome back any time you choose to return to Inverness.

The beautiful bay window in the lounge room is certainly a favourite for most of us - you can wile away hours gazing out at the view with a hot drink or a cheeky glass of something stronger and it is a lovely space to relax and blether with other guests.

It also true that we call the kitchen "intimate & friendly" - however as you say it does work if you avoid the normal rush hours and with space limitations available - the shower cubicles aren't the largest but are clean and do the job.

Hopefully by the time you return, we'll hopefully surprise you with some new mattresses - we are due to get new one's very soon.

Once again - thank you for reviewing us - it is much appreciated and we'll hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

The owner has an incredible friendliness and desire to help the guests which is transferred to everybody who enters the place hence the entire atmosphere within the Hostel is very warm and friendly.

As a matter of course you cannot expect much when paying 15 pounds per night. Nevertheless this hostel has everything you need: it's clean, the beds are reasonable comfy and there's plenty of parking space right next to the hostel.

As I said before like in many other places it's the staff which makes a stay memorable. And this woman is really remarkable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for writing such a positive review.
Needless to say it has cheered all of the staff up no end - so we really do appreciate it!

Everyone works hard to try and ensure a warm and welcoming environment and it's great to hear that you felt that.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back whenever you make it back to Scotland.
I hope the rest of your travels are going great and many thanks once again.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

"Shower Room" consists of three toilets, three sinks and a shower stall. Shower doors are homade- two pieces of Formica board and a hook. For privacy, you need to step into a shower stall or a toilet stall to change. Did I mention it is unisex? See pictures. I should also mentioned there is a shower in the hall. A converted closet, but at least it has a real door.
There are no laundry facilities. If you want clean clothes, you must pay staff £3.50 to do it for you.
For these 2 reasons I would never stay there again and would not recommend.
Other than that, it's clean, staff is friendly and helpful ( especially Maddie ). I lie that reception is centrally located between kitchen, dining and lounges. Staff is always present and interacting with guests

Room Tip: Choose one downturn street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.

The shower upstairs does have saloon style doors - due to space constrictions I'm afraid - however there is a lock on it & a shower curtain to try and ensure a wee bit more privacy.
I am also sorry if you were not made aware of our further 3 showers and 2 bathrooms which were located downstairs. The showers downstairs do have proper doors on them as well.

Our laundry service for £3.50 (clothes washed, dried and folded) is kept as staff only to use - to ensure that our machines do not get damaged and also to ensure that we manage to get all of the hostel laundry completed on a daily basis to get guests checked in on time.
We could have given you directions to the laundrette in the city centre if you preferred washing your own clothes - so I do apologise.

Also thank you for your kind comments about the staff, cleanliness and liking our reception area, it is a sociable and open plan area.

I hope that the rest of your travels went well.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here in early December, 2013.

The rooms, in my opinion, the most importaint part of staying in a hostel or hotel ect, sucked - a lot!
The beds were very unstable, the sheets were dirty and on one of the bunks in our room there was no ladder. The people who we happened to be sharing with, my friend and i are pretty sure were living there, and had no consideration at all about how their clothes and belongings were scattered all over the floor. I would also like to add that on one occasion a staff member walked into out room, observed the HUGE mess, and nothing was done over the four nights we stayed there, even though we made clear we were uncomfortable having someones dirty undies right next to our bunk.

The staff were not the best, a bit rude at times and in my opinion very unprofessional. The manager however was pretty nice and always welcomed us back after we were out all day.

The bathrooms are disgusting and were not cleaned regularly, but thats to be expected i suppose.

The breakfast was good, and the free tea and coffee is a nice touch. The kitchen is in poor condition and gets very busy around dinnertime.

Due to my experience here, i would not recommend, especialy since we could have gotten a cheap hotel in the area for the same price we payed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review & post some photos.

I am sorry that you weren't happy with your stay & I do appreciate that the mess in our long term girls dorm is a little poor to say the least. It does not look like that now I can assure you.

Long termer guests are accepted in our hostels - especially during the quieter Winter months and it can sometimes be a constant battle to contain their belongings neatly. I assure you that we do ask them regularly to keep things tidy - but when they are busy working the room can get out of hand at times.

I can imagine that the staff member in question would probably have expressed exasperation at the mess - as we had asked the guests in question regularly to clear up their belongings... they were trying to contain it as best possible under the bunks believe it or not!

I can also assure you that our bathrooms are cleaned daily and checked regularly - our cleaners work incredibly hard to ensure a high standard of cleanliness.

We are an old building and tired often gets mistaken for unclean.
The kitchen is small - however we believe well stocked - to try and compensate for it's size and again we clean it several times throughout the day.

I do appreciate your comments and with regards to the manager being quite welcoming - perhaps a quiet word with her may have resolved these issues immediately? We could have moved you to another dorm room to try and ensure a happier stay for you both.

I do hope the rest of your travels went well and I am glad that we managed to get your bank card to you before the last Christmas post.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here a couple of years ago for 3 nights and again last night with a group. What a lovely wee hostel! The staff are so friendly and helpful - nothing seems a problem, they got breakfast prepared for us crazy early just for us. The prices of the accommodation, breakfast and everything is really good value. We arrived quite late and were really taken by how relaxed and warm the place felt. The fire, so nice ambient tunes and people seemed so chilled. Clearly they are recruiting the right people. – brilliant, hence 5 stars

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review - it has perked everyone up no end!

You know that you will always be welcome back - especially when you bring the Winter sunshine with you!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time.
Many thanks