“perfect for overnight”

and 1 more site!
Smithton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A nice clean hotel with good quality rooms. Pleasant and friendly staff. Just what I was looking for for an overnight stay on business.Bar staff were very friendly as was the local clientel. I will certainly book this again when on business in Inverness.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank graemewilson
There are newer reviews for Smithton Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

weekend stay. rooms very nice and kept very clean. bar and waiting staff very polite and helpful. plenty of parking space easily accessible. breakfasts very nice and plenty of it. would certainly return there for a break.

Room Tip: no swimming pool or fitness centre so ignore that bit
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 700craig
Reviewed August 22, 2013

It started when we arrived. We were met, eventually, by a blonde haired receptionist who said 'Name!' Somewhat a surprise greeting after what we have been used to. I gave her my name and she went on to state that I had supplied her with the incorrect Amex card number. I informed her that I don't have an Amex card - she responded, without any apology, that I pay for the room immediately. As we were both tired - I did so. We were shown to our room. It satisfied our overnight needs - clean and comfortable. We decided to eat in the restaurant. Another mistake. My friend is Scottish and chose a traditional Scottish dish. When we were finally served - it was awful. Tasted as though it was cooked hours before and kept warm. The bar staff weren't in a hurry to serve, either. I can understand them looking after the locals but surely the guests, as well, deserve some level of courtesy. Now we come to why the 1 star rating. That was purely for the 'old boy' who served us breakfast. He went out of his way to please. A place to avoid in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank roy45Golborne
1pamc, Owner at Smithton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

I must disagree with your review of our hotel. As I pointed out to you on Booking.com, we pre-authorise payment cards on the morning of your stay. Your card was declined due to lack of funds. You were rude to the member of staff who checked you in, who most certainly was not rude in return. Furthermore, you were served at the bar as soon as you could be. Our bar is open to the public, and we serve customers as they arrive. The "old boy" is the owner, as am I, and the "mistake" you made was to presume you would not have to pay for your room.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights. The price is overpriced for what you get. The location is within a housing estate, it is the local pub and is not a place to take your children to. The smell in the hotel was damp, masked by many overpowering air fresheners, which were sickly and annoying. The corridors are very narrow as are the stairs to the rooms. The noise! You can hear everything in the adjoining rooms and I mean everything! We couldn't sleep for the noise at night, and the vibration of some electrical thing, no idea what it was? Tea/Coffee is not replenished and the cups are not washed, only the bed made up daily. The menu - Restaurant menu is overpriced and it is pub grub you get, we were not offered the bar menu and when asked not given it either, food is not good value and no thought goes into it, only ate there once, drove into Inverness to eat every night after. Breakfasts were hit and miss, the young Eastern European waitresses replied "no" to every enquiry, asked for bread, but was told this was not possible as it was toasted! Eventually got some toast the first day and some Croissants this was after I was told there was none and then saw the next table get some! Seldom got the breakfast orders right, last day I never got my breakfast by the time rest of my table had finished, so gave up! No check out available, office door firmly closed, so did what others did and dropped key and left. The beds are on castors; BEWARE as they go flying if you sit down on the edge of them, I have the bruises! WIFI…. Very intermittent drops in and out, the first and last night there was no internet connection at all, much to the children’s dismay. No hair dryer, just a broken one with a sign that it is broken and the phone in the room does not work either. More of a “one night stop” on a budget although it does not justify the price they charge which is more expensive than a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Needs to be brought into the 21st century and priced appropriately.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel closer to Inverness and cheaper with more facilities
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy our family room, which is two adjoining rooms each with en-suite facilities. This room is our most popular room, and at £100 a night is in fact much cheaper than any of our competitors for the facilities provided. The tea and coffee in the rooms is replenished daily, and the rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day. We are a family run business, and our daughter is the housekeeper.
I would have to disagree with your opinion that the food is overpriced. It is freshly cooked, and I think £11.50 for venison casserole (our most expensive item on the menu) is really quite reasonable. The bar menu is not really available at nights, but we do provide from it if our guests request it. We bake our croissants ourselves every morning, and if you were told there were none, they probably were not yet ready!
Check out is certainly available, but reception staff also attend to breakfasts in our busy season. I apologise for the lack of wifi on your last day, and appreciate that you were unable to phone to reception for it to be reset. The phone has now been fixed. The hotel has been completely refurbished in the past 3 years, with the exception of the bar area, and the soundproofing, which is ongoing, our first floor being first to be completed. The top floor will be finished by the end of the year. You will appreciate that the hotel is extremely busy, and these works can only be done when it quietens down in the winter. I am a little concerned about the smell of damp you mentioned, but as this has never been commented on previously, I hope this will prove to be a minor issue. I do apologise for the inconvenience you have been put to during your stay, but can assure you that we work hard to provide a pleasant and comfortable stay for our guests, as can be seen from our reviews on Booking.com, our main accommodation booking agent. I am sorry we got it wrong on this occasion.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Room # 20. Sure! It's the Executive Suite - but at 85GBP per night - a steal! That includes breakfast.

Access to all that Inverness offers is excellent. Parking easy. Breakfast for 2 included. Views from the windows - 5 of them - described on the website as a wall of windows! - fair enough - IT IS!

Clean room, dinners OK if you want them.

We enjoyed our two nights. Access to all local sites/sights is excellent!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Our executive room is, as you found, a very large room with a wall of windows overlooking the Moray Firth and the mountains beyond. I am glad you appreciated the cleanliness of your room; we are a family run hotel, and as our daughter is the housekeeper, we maintain high standards of hygiene throughout the building.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel itself was perfectly adequate for the purpose - an overnight stay before a flight from Inverness the next day - but our room was above the area that the smokers congregate, and boy did they congregate! About every 5-10 minutes until well gone midnight, with very loud conversations/arguments, often accompanied by foul language. This totally spoiled what would have been a perfectly acceptable stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room over the bar entrance, which is where the smokers congregate.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise for the disturbance below your room, and that it spoiled your stay. We do have a smoker's shelter round the back of the hotel, and have a zero tolerance policy on profanity, but when customers are leaving the public bar, they do tend to forget that we have residents who are paying to have peace and quiet in their room. This is an ongoing problem on Fridays and Saturdays, and we do intend to roof over the area below the room you were staying in, to ensure tranquillity for our guests in that room, as well as increasing staff vigilance in this area.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed one night visiting friends and Loch Ness. Dated exterior and interior and the dining/breakfast room has to be one of the most depressing spaces I have seen in a while. Staff were friendly but it was like they had read a 'how to' book, rather than having their hearts in it. One member of staff was wearing the same clothes for breakfast as she had been wearing in the bar the night before.

Rooms were basic but clean and the beds were comfortable.

It took quite a while to check out during breakfast as there was no way to indicate that we were waiting in reception when all the staff appeared to be serving breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am surprised you found our dining room to be depressing; it is decorated in a pale pink with cherry red accessories, gold-framed pictures and light maple dining chairs, while the tables are clad in cherry tablecloths with crisp white table covers. The room attracts the morning sun through its large windows, and other guests have commented on its lovely appearance. Perhaps the weather was particularly dull when you visited? The room can be viewed on our website, at www.thesmithtonhotel.co.uk. The hotel has been refurbished in the last 3 years, with the exception of the lounge bar area, which has not yet been completed; new carpeting and floor tiles will be laid this winter, so perhaps it was that area you meant rather than the dining room.
We are very proud of our staff and out of hundreds of reviews on Booking.com, their welcoming and friendly manner stands out as being exceptional. I am not sure how to reply to your concern re the member of staff wearing the same clothes, they do have several tops to wear for work, some of which may be exactly the same... sorry. I am glad you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We are a family-run concern, and our daughter is the housekeeper, with very high standards, as has also been widely noted on other review sites. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.