“great steakhouse” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McGonagall's Steakhouse

McGonagall's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
McGonagall's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 251 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
stornoway
“great steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

such a popular place we tried to get in in december but fully booked so eventually got in february - lovely little place and the smell outside brilliant - starters were great as were the steaks all brilliant - we both had crannachan which was average - wow somewhere with non alcoholic beer brilliant - overall experience was great - would definately return.

• Greek first
Inverness
“Family 'get together'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

We had booked McGonagall's for 7.30pm for 9 of us but we received a call from the restaurant at 7pm asking if we could change our booking to 8pm as they were exceptionally busy. No problem, as that gave us time to go for a drink prior to the meal. We arrived at 8pm to be given a very friendly apology from a lovely waitress. We all had starters which were very good with a wide range to choose from & almost everyone had steaks for mains. They were exceptional, I had T-bone with extra scallops & I'd have to say it was the best steak I've ever had. The service is very good also. Even though the restaurant was very busy, the waiting staff were always on hand with a smile to get fresh drinks when asked. We will certainly be back!

1 Thank Martin G
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Absolutely First Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

On a fairly drab and cold mid-February day we were passing McGonagall’s and the smell of food, as a departing customer opened the door, drew us in for some sustenance before we went on to our film preview. This has to go down as one of my best spur-of the-moment decisions for quite some time.

The waitress welcomed us with a big smile and took the trouble to ask if we had any preference where we would like to be seated (refreshing to say the least). Both my wife and I had some difficulty choosing what to have… but only because the options were so tempting, and we agreed that we could easily have gone for most of the dishes on offer. My wife chose warm Orkney cheese with chutney and fresh salad for her starter while I had the haggis in a filo basket, with single malt whiskey cream sauce, served with oatcake and a zingy mustard dressed salad. We tried a bit of each others and I have to say that both starters were fresh, light and delicious.

We love fish so, to follow, both of us could look no further than the locally sourced fresh haddock in a beer batter served with chunky chips, tartare sauce and mushy peas. This turned out to be nothing short of an absolute revelation… the only place I have had better fish and chips is Ullapool. The fish was so fresh it would hardly stay on the fork, the batter was light and crispy, the chips were as crispy on the outside while being light and fluffy inside, and it came to the table piping HOT. Even the presentation was faultless, the mushy peas and tartare sauce were contained within their own small bowls on the plate so as not to interfere with the perfection of the haddock. Take my word for it, on this showing, you will not find better fish and chips anywhere in Inverness but make sure you are hungry when you go because we really struggled to finish everything.

I had not realised until we sat down to look at the menu that McGonagall’s was a steak restaurant and as I don’t eat red meat I might never have ventured across the door. It must have been fate, because I can enthusiastically say that overall this was easily one of my best dining experiences in Inverness for a long time and has renewed my faith in the Highland food scene. Anyone who has read any of my other reviews will know that this is high praise indeed and I would highly recommend everyone to give McGonagall’s a try (if only for the outstanding fish and chips!).

Visited February 2012
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit, top steak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have walked past this restaurant on a previous trip to Inverness, but decided to stop in this time. So glad we did.

The staff were very friendly and the restaurant welcoming. We sat in the middle of the dining room, but never felt we were in the way. The restaurant was fairly busy. Only three tables unoccupied while we were there.

We started with the Orkney cheese and followed with steak. My boyfriend had a sirloin and I had the fillet. Both were cooked as asked and the sauce (served separately) was lovely. The portions were both large and well presented. The vegetables were well cooked. Only one thing would have moved my opinion from excellent to perfect.... should have been home-made chips!!

We followed with dessert, but I am afraid I did not do it justice. There was just not enough room left in me to finish it off!

I would throughly recommend McGonagall's to anyone traveling to (or living in) Inverness.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Perfectly cooked steak and amazing onion rings!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

Great wee place with a grill based menu with some nice sounding alternatives (yet to be sampled). Had a delicious steak and thoroughly enjoyed the giant onion rings. Both cooked exactly as asked which doesnt happen often for us. Will be back when i need my next meat fix!!

1 Thank Mrsmunro