“Better than any chain hotel.”
Review of Averon House

Averon House
Ranked #29 of 232 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at Averon House for two nights from the 20th to the 22nd of September 2013. The B&B was very clean, comfortable and had all the amenities that you need so no need to bring a hair dryer or an iron, we even got a hot water bottle in a cuddly teddy bear lol. The highlight of the stay was the owner Sergia, such a lovely, helpful man but not intrusive. We were told to make ourselves at home which we did and everything we needed was easily accessible. The breakfast was brilliant and on the Sunday when we were a little bit hungover Sergio kindly brought up to our room and left it on the floor outside. I'm definitely going to make this my regular place to stay on my frequent trips to Inverness. 10/10 in every department. Highly recommended. Oh and the bed was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Averon House

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This B&B is excellent. The host makes you feel perfectly at home, the rooms are lovely, filled with interesting furniture and a comfortable bed. You are served with a fabulous breakfast, this is a superb b&b.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've stayed in Sergio's home with my wife for one night only and everything was perfect. Sergio is such a nice man and could not make you feel any more welcome, he perfectly balance your pricacy needs and his willingness to introduce you the city. Our room was a brilliant size with a big en suite bathroom, full of light and quirky features. The breakfast was very generous (full scottish, cereals, fresh fruits, biscuits, yogurt, ...) and when we was leaving he offered us to take what we need from the breakfast table.
Definetely I would highly recommend Averon House.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My partner, myself and our 2 year old daughter have just stayed here for 2 nights while over for my friends wedding and had a lovely stay. Sergio is such a nice man and could not make you feel any more welcome. He is very keen to take the time to know about you and nothing is ever to much trouble. The breakfast's were very generous more than you can eat cooked breakfasts, lots of cereal, fresh fruit and more. Also offering us lunches to take for our travelling home which he did not need to do. He was also very understanding of my daughter's tantrums whilst there and makes you feel very comfortable. The rooms are lovely and very clean with a lovely bathroom. He also is very relaxed about curfews and just wants you to relax and enjoy your stay. Also thought it was lovely he got kids yoghurts for my daughter which she loved. Would go back and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fern1990
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights in August this year as part of a tour round Scotland and this was easily the nicest place we stayed while there, and one of the best we've been to in years. Sergio was warm and welcoming, and looked after us well including allowing up to put our motorbike safely in his own garden. The Victorian period house is gorgeous, and full of tasteful charm and character. Our room was a brilliant size with a big en suite bathroom, full of light and quirky features. And the bed was so comfortable - all in all a welcome change from the impersonal Travelodges we had stayed at while in other cities! The cooked breakfasts were lovely (and huge!), with a vast selection of cereals, fresh fruits etc as well and he really couldn't do enough to make us feel at home while we were there. He encouraged us to treat the house as our own, making us feel free to use the front lounge to relax in and even bring food back to eat in there if we wished, making it a very relaxed, happy place to stay. Location wise, it was a short walk to the centre of Inverness and the bus station, pubs, restaurants, Castle etc. We would definitely stay here agin if we came to Inverness. Nice to have a host who genuinely wants to make sure you enjoy your stay - top marks!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We cannot recommend this Guest House enough. A beautiful Victorian building in a leafy superb of Inverness. Close to the station, buses, shops and restaurants. It has a lovely charm to it, full of interesting and quirky antiques. Sergio gives guests a genuine, warm welcome and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast was varied, fresh and plentiful.
My husband and I travel a lot and this is definitely one of our top choices and one we will revisit.

Room Tip: We had the lovely room with the painted floorboards.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at Averon for 3 nights during our 3 week round-trip of Scotland. Right from the start we were made to feel most welcome. Sergio offers great hospitality very much with a "mi casa es su casa" approach to things. Example: When we arrived we opted for the front room as it's slightly bigger than the garden one. Now, once we had unpacked and, well, already used the bathroom, I discovered that the bed actually had a board which didn't allow me (6'4) to stretch that big cabar of mine. Somewhat embarrassed we asked Sergio if we could still swap rooms. His reply: "Here in the Highlands we don't get stressed over these things", and that was that. We moved to the garden room, and he did what was necessary in the other.

At breakfast we were spoilt for choice (incl. plenty of fresh fruit) and offered more to eat than we could possibly have mastered (though I sure tried my best ;). Go for the porridge, if you haven't done so before. It keeps you going for most of the day! Notwithstanding, Sergio asked us if we wanted to help ourselves to a doggybag for our day trip.

Averon is very conveniently located, what with at least 3 places to eat around the corner (yet in a quiet neighbourhood) It's also only a short walk/drive to the centre. Sergio is very happy to give you directions and offer recommendations.

With Sergio and I sharing a keen interest in photography, we enjoyed many a pleasant conversation during our stay, to which one night we were joined by a friend of his. Soon we weren't talking about photography, and with a bottle of uisge beatha passing around an early evening chat on the stairs turned into a somewhat "later evening" chat...

I guess what I'm saying is that we felt more welcome as friends rather than guests. Sergio maintains a perfect balance between engaging with you as the host and giving you your privacy as a guest (I mention this because some prefer sticking to themselves). At Averon you'll find exactly what you want and need - which is the essence of "mi casa es su casa". Now, that's what I call great hospitality!

Conclusion: If in Inverness, it's Averon or nothing!

@ Sergio: I'm still in the process of, well, "processing" all those pics (~1,500); will send a link featuring an "essential selection" to you and John asap.

Room Tip: The front room is more spacious and has a bigger bathroom, but note that the bed has a board which c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple