““A nod’s as guid as a wink tae a blind horse”!”

Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Checked in as 2 couples who had requested rooms next to each other, only to be told that we were separated at different ends of the Hotel!
There was a lot of renovation work going on which spoilt the atmosphere and a definite damp smell could be experienced all over. The quality of the rooms and bathrooms left a lot to be desired, and felt very aggrieved by the rather expensive room rates we paid!
Reception staff also performed like trainees rather than experienced front of house.
Glad we only spent one night in this asylum :(

Room Tip: No need to stay here if you want to be Central - There are other and better establishments in the vi...
1  Thank Saukat
TraceyMiltonPalace, Operations Support Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of the whole team at the Hotel, I would like to express how very sorry we are for the problems you encountered and that you have left the Hotel with such a low opinion.

As a matter of course, we do allocate rooms close to each other who have booked together. I am very sorry this was not organised for you and your friends. I am also very sorry you did not seem to enjoy the bedrooms you were allcoted.

We have been redecorating our Brasserie and lounge areas for a couple of weeks, however this has now been completed. I am very sorry this disrupted your stay.

All feedback is considered very important to us and we thoroughly review all the comments we receive.

I would very much like to discuss your stay in more detail and I hope that you will be able to find the time to contact me directly.

Thank you once again for posting your review on Trip Advisor and I hope I hear from you soon.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here recently and thought the place was excellent

FOOD - we only ate breakfast at the hotel but it was good, great choices and nice to see the chef popping out checking on things,

ROOMS - we had a room at the back of the hotel, very clean and the bed was huge.

STAFF - all of them that we encountered were nice and friendly enough.

WIFI - A bit hit and miss, but as it was free I wasn't going to complain.

POOL - Lovely and warm, mind you they could do with investing in bigger towels.

PARKING - Slight problem parking but it was resolved within ten minute.

We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review!

It's fantastic to read that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to impress you enough for you to decide you will be back!

We have noted your comment about the size of the towels in the leisure club, also about the WiFi. We are hoping to upgrade the WiFi provision very soon.

I hope that you can make your return visit very sooner rather than later and we all thank you again for taking the time to write your kind review.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Poor. More like a guest house than hotel. Pool, sauna and steam room were excellent but the same cannot be said of the rest.
Rooms too hot and no control over ambient temp . Shower head not changeable and very ancient.

• Stayed: October 2013
TraceyMiltonPalace, Operations Support Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

We really do appreciate your view regarding broadband provision. You like us are desperate for Inverness to go live with the Super Fast high speed broadband which most UK cities now have. We were very disappointed in June when the completion date for this was pushed back to December 2013. But after an update with BT it looks like things are really on track for this great Highland city to offer Super Fast broadband at the turn of the year.

It's great that you enjoyed the leisure facilities we have free for all of our guests to use.

I would very much like to speak with you in more detail about your stay, I note you are a seasoned traveller and use Trip Advisor quite a lot so it would be great to get more of your point of view.

Thank you again and kind regards, Della

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Heading off to the West Coast I needed a bed for the night before after arriving lateish by plane. Room poky but quaint in a 1960ies sort of way. Clean enough though.
Booked just a week before and as it was the peak season, I shouldn't have been surprised to pay a lot.
The restaurant is some kind of a franchise with pretty ordinary fare. Service was remarkable in that it felt as if the waiter guy was going to get really annoyed if I dared ask for anything else. Might have been amusing if it had been a bit cheaper.
Scotland is such a great place - so why is particular part of the "gateway to the Hielands" so mediocre?

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MerchantofJute

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry you felt we were not welcoming towards you as that is certainly not our intention. I have spoken with my colleagues about this so be assured your comments are being taken extremely seriously.

I would like to clarify that Eight on the River Restaurant is not a franchise and is entirely part of this family owned business. I really am very sorry if you felt in any way rushed or not welcome in the Restaurant.

It would be brilliant if you could contact me directly so that I can talk with you in more depth about your view of your stay.

Thank you again for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We wanted somewhere central for exploring the area and chose the Inverness Palace.We were delighted with the room which faced directly across the river to the castle and had a very comfortable four days. The room was spacious in the Victorian sense of the word, the staff pleasant and helpful, the breakfasts substantial[ loved the porridge and maple syrup].
The hotel caters for coach parties but they appeared to be smoothly handled and we did not experience any problems.
We explored Fort George- good view of the Moray Firth dolphins- and the Black Isle - including the Brewery.
It was good to be able to explore the riverbanks on foot -being advanced in years we much appreciate a broad flat and well paved walkway.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend asking for a room at the front. It wouldn't have been the same holiday if we...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ChesterVitalspark
TraceyMiltonPalace, Operations Support Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your review.

The Highlands is a wonderful area to explore and I'm delighted you seemed to pack a lot into your visit.

Thank you for very kind praise of our staff, the Riverview room and the breakfasts we serve - it's very much appreciated and has been passed on to all of the team.

We are very lucky and have lovely walks just on our doorstep which take you along the beautiful River Ness, and you have given a perfect description of this. It's great that you were able to take advantage of the central location we have and that you were able to walk the riverside with ease.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss anything further and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed for two nights. My husband was running the Lochness Marathon and the hotel helpfully offered an early breakfast on the day of the race which was very useful. There was generally a good choice for the breakfasts. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were very good. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. There were only two problems with our stay the first was a problem with the plumbing - it was noisy for about two hours in the middle of the second night, my husband was very tired having run the marathon and called the night porter who was very apolgetic but unable to do anything as the hotel was full. The second problem was that when we tried to go for a swim on the Monday morning at 9.15am we were not able to because there was an aerobics class on until 10am. I saw no notices about the class and when I enquired about it the pool staff said that it was a long standing arrangement and they always told members about it but that the reception staff did not usually mention it to hotel guests. When we checked out the Hotel Manager apologised for our disturbed night and said he hoped it not spoiled our stay too much.

Dear Guest

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your review.

We're all delighted you enjoyed your stay, please let me apologise for the disruption in the night with regards to the noise. We have looked into this and it was a plumbing issue which we believe we have resolved.

Also, I am sorry you were not able to use the pool while the aerobics class was in action. I have discussed this with my colleagues and you are right, our guests should also be informed that the class will be on during Monday mornings.

Congratulations to your husband for running the marathon! It's always a busy weekend in Inverness and we know that a good breakfast is a must for everyone - participants and spectators - on such an important day.

I hope that if you are in Inverness in the future (maybe your husband will run the Inverness half marathon in March next year?) you will choose to stay with us again.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss anything further and many thanks again for writing your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've stayed in so many hotels, but very few would be this bad! This should go on the Nightmare Hotels in the Hotel Inspector's list!!! Where do I start!? Sunday, busy place all round, found a spot to park the car and got out to hold the space whilst the car reversed. Girl drives over her and says that's her spot. Clearly had marked Valet on the parking grounds. I said to her, it's for guests and I'm reversing in to it just now. She said she was a staff member (which she was, reception at the spa/gym area) and said she's parking there. Extremely not helpful if staff can use parking spots for guests! Very unprofessional.
Secondly, arrived to check in, and the receptionist (long brown hair with fringe clipped back) was serving a couple before us, and when it came to serving us, she simply asked "did you hear what I had explained to the couple just there about the parking?" .... no we didn't, we certainly don't eavesdrop and for staff to expect us to hear her conversation with other guests showed complete unprofessionalism! Really ought to do some re-training!
Thirdly, some time during the night after 11pm, there was a very loud droning noise coming from the building, It was definitely the sound of pipes being too tightly aired and needed loosened up, but as anyone used the taps, showers, bath the noise would heighten, deepen and keep going. It lasted for hours on end and it was just awful to try sleep through it.
Forthly, oh god..the cleaners!! Please keep your voice down in the morning! You slam, thump the walls, bang so hard our room was shaking!! I really couldn't wait to leave this place and hurry out the door!
SO Overly priced with not even a view...it's literally the worst of the "best"...

Room Tip: sleep on the streets..it's a little better
3  Thank Sin-ling L
TraceyMiltonPalace, Operatsions Support Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of the whole team at the Hotel, I would like to express how terribly sorry we are for the problems you encountered and that you have left the Hotel with such a low opinion.

Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we have been reviewing your comments as a matter of urgency.