“excellent all-round hotel - loved it!”

Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We have just returned from a 3-night stay in the Best Western Palace Hotel in Inverness - and cannot fault it. The location is excellent - just over the bridge from shops and restaurants. Our room was fantastic - were given an executive room overlooking the river, which was a great size, comfortable and nice little extras like bottled water supplied.
There is a car park at the hotel, with a a few spaces - but if you are struggling they offer valet parking too.
Staff were lovely and friendly - and really helpful. we felt at home and that nothing would be a problem - even mentioning in the welcome book that if you manage to smuggle a bottle into your room they would gladly provide ice, ice bucket and wine glasses if needed!
We used the gym, spa and swimming pool every day which was excellent and all included in the stay - we were spoiled for the whole 3 days.
We were room only so did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on that.
Would return again - would not even look at any other hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmutch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed April 7, 2011

i stayed here for 2 nights mid march 2011.i booked a single room and it was .The main area of the room was nice new carpet curtains,bed cover,furniture modern and a view over looking the Ness,and the main foyer reception area of the hotel looks recently refurbished.My room had little sound proofing you can clearly hear voices in the room next door
However the parking arrangments were ridiculous with doudle parking all over the place,you can leave your car at your risc(it says so in the hotel information !)
Alternatively you drive past the hotel head for the Eden Court Theatre and park next to that a walk of 300 Yards.
THe Bathroom if my single room was straight from the 1970,s ,apart from the mould on the shower curtain and walls the light made it look dirty anyway it was horrible,and not Best Western Standards at all.
Yet the prices were 2011 !!!
I didnt eat in the hotel,and because of the bathroom would have left after one night if i had not pre payed.
My breakfast on the Thursday morning was desperatley disappointing with the toast way over done and the poached eggs were so ard they couldbe bounced off the floor,i stuck to orange juice and ceareal on the friday
On the friday morning when i was leaving i brought my concerns to the duty manager who told me they are doing the rooms up but singles dont make the money so are not a priority.
i also brought to her attention that i being a best western diamond member was not offered an uograde she says i was in that i was given a room at the front with a view.
She also told Best WEstern that no double rooms were available yet on the THursday night im was at reception when a chap off the street ws being asked for £110 for the night,so it seems as though an upgrade was available for me on the Thursday night !
So apart from the fact the manager that i spoke with gave best western another story after i gave them feedback goodness knows what guest will get told
the standards in this hotel are not up to the standard of the other 9 best westerns i have stayed at in the last 8 months,and i wouldnt be back if i was given it for free
They are not alone the Columba next door is awful as is the Ramada
i would suggest the premier Inn outside the town with a nice restaurant easy parking or a 10 min walk or a short taxi rode to town 5 mins most if u boof far enough in advance you should get a decent rate

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Very good hotel great location. Everything ok except for bar service which was very poor. Kept waiting time after time as it is not fully staffed as they keep disappearing to reception!!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend in February. the hotel itself is really nice, breakfast was good, the only negative would be the bizarre and overpriced restaurant. Eating out though us really easy as you are 100 metres from lots of restaurants and the location is both central and very pretty. My advice is to absolutely stay in the hotel but eat dinner out for a better experience and better value.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I travelled with Stacey's Coaches from Carlisle, Cumbria for an all-inclusive week's holiday at the hotel. A very well-run hotel, in a beautiful location on the River Ness opposite the castle. Food and restaurant service were excellent, with good evening entertainment. And there was a Tesco and lots of bars and restaurants nearby, and it was within walking distance of the city of Inverness. Has a pool and gym, and parking too. So good that I will go again with Stacey's in November, and hope to get my lovely room again.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Good location, leisure club is ok, if a bit small. Parking is ...there. Nowhere near sufficient. I had a nice room with a river view and lovely view of the castle. BUT ... the service in the bar and restaurant was shocking. Staff do their very best to avoid serving you. Breakfast was terrible, Kept waiting at the door 10 min before a waitress deigned to show me to a table, and then she disappeared. Only stay here if you don't have anything you need to do that day.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jazza40
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed here on a Thursday night on a Laterooms £49.95 rate. Check in went smoothly, I had arrived hours early and reception took my bag and put it behind the counter. When I returned I was allocated Room 031 which is at the top of the hotel at the back. There is a small modern elevator to the 3rd floor which just fit me and my bag. I did not have a river view, nor did I expect one for a Laterooms rate room. However, the room had one window which let in tons of natural light. The bed looked lumpy but I realized it was because of the type of duvet they use, rather than the mattress. A round table was convenient for reading and work material, had a comfortable chair and the lighting was good. I checked the main room for signs of dirt and frankly the only problem was chipping paint on the wall. The walls were painted in a dark taupe color which was not nice but the room had lovely molding around the walls.

Note: One of my colleagues was unable to get the Lateroom's rate and he called the hotel and negotiated a better rate for himself and he received a fab room on the second floor overlooking the river which he described as almost a suite! I didn't see the room myself but it was 022.

The only problem my room had was the bathroom. The bottom of the shower curtain was crawling with mold - yech! I immediately called reception and calmly requested housekeeping to come up and change it for me. Housekeeping was up within 5 minutes and had the horrible thing off and changed for a nice clean one in a jiff. The bathroom had enough counter space for tons of cosmetics, shavers, etc.

The lobby chairs and sofas were comfortable and a pleasant place to enjoy a coffee from the Starbucks/bar kiosk while watching rabbits play in the sun on the grounds of the castle. As it seemed a slower time in the hotel the barrista was not always in the kiosk but a quick request to reception and she was quickly available. The coffee was good and stocked a plentiful amount of fruit juices which were a welcome sight the next morning after a night out in Inverness with fellow mature students.

The hotel is pleasantly situated right on the river walk so it makes sense to avail yourself of this opportunity to enjoy the pleasantly laid out walk over the suspension bridges (they do sway just a bit) and through the trees. I was able to use the hotel swimming pool and it was just warm enough to make a good workout very enjoyable. It was clean and not very crowded and there was more interest in the hot tub so I was able to do 40 minutes of laps unimpeded. There is not a true deep end as it is more of a lap pool but a deeper lap pool than most. I did pick my hotel on the basis of the pool and it was a good choice. The few children that were in attendance with their parents were extremely well behaved. A couple of locals were using the pool and they were very nice and showed me the ropes, where to pick up towels etc.

I would recommend this hotel with some caveats: The bed was comfortable and the duvet was warm plus the lighting good enough to read by. Also the convenient location right across the river meant I was able to run back with packages during the day when I'd been out shopping. I saw the posted prices and indeed I would not pay £150.00 for the room. This hotel has very good Victorian bones, and it could be a 5 star hotel with a lot of charm but it would need a ton of work to get there! And the management would have to care...a lot to put in the work and money necessary to bring it up to standard. It is probably easier to let it stay at 3 stars and not do much in the way of maintenance. That said, reception mentioned that some of the rooms were being painted while I was there, that said, a hotel in this great of location gets a lot of traffic and the carpet was a bit stained in the room, nothing gross but that is the reality of high-volume. I have to say that I could hear noise in the hall when people closed their doors on the same floor as myself but once they were inside it was very quiet and peaceful.

Another caveat is that the location being Inverness which is a very popular tourist area it may be harder to get deals here but I think it is worth a try. I did not eat in the hotel so I can't say anything about the food.

I liked this hotel and I will return if I can get a less expensive rate than the book rate but I would not pay full price.

Disabled access might be an issue and if you are a wheelchair user I would query the availability. I did notice a ramp from the pool up to reception and the entry from the back is flat, however, I forgot to ask whether there were disabled rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo