“The best food in Inverness”

Urquhart's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The food here is excellent and the service is very friendly. If you only eat one dish, make it the black pudding starter.

1  Thank Moray_81

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Well I'm more known for my note taking and attention to detail in my reviews but I must admit I'm a little lost without a notebook on this trip. I can say form memory however that entering the restaurant might be a struggle for anyone unable to assault the set of stairs to get tot he restaurant floor but it's worth it if you can.

The view is only first floor but I did like looking down at the traffic a touch, not a huge restaurant so the tables are a bit tight but the decor is nice and tables well laid out and quite a sophisticated style.

We were seated and I would note the lack of bread on the table, although a minor issue it's worth a mention as some dislike not having some. I never asked but they may have brought some out if asked. I mainly note it because they had a nice selection on the menu which made our wait long while everyone decided what they wanted.

The waiting staff took our drinks orders and were polite and pleasant, drinks came out as requested no need to double check anything and asked all the relevant questions. they were quite ok with having two of our party come up to the bar t look and see what was there rather than use the menu and had no issues with putting the drink on there own bill.

Our food orders were taken shortly after and the staff were knowledgeable and polite as before. Asking all the right questions in the right places and moving round the table as needed rather than talking over people/distance. I would say it was a struggle going over the menu on the blackboard. I don't expect to have to get up out of my seat to see what I want to eat however the waitress was more than happy to tell you what was on it.

The food that came out was a bit of a surprise. Everything was about normal price for the area but the portions were something else. As you'll see from the photos.

Everything was great also, I had the squid myself which was cooked just right. We had no complaints form our party in terms of the food and I can recommend the garlic bread, huge bits of nice warm and slightly toasted bread that will easy do 2-4 people as a side.

We had 8 in our party and I believe we were around £100 with steaks and puddings all included as well as sides ect. We didn't try to go cheap on it and the price worked out better than expected.

Over all my only negatives is the lack of space to swing your cat and the blackboard. Really it;s more of a four and a half for me.

1  Thank DavidMacarthur
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I love this place and frequently visit, the only downside is the location but once your in its a wonderful little restaurant, top notch Scottish food cooked perfectly and the service is excellent also.
More than generous portions for your money.
I can't praise this place enough and is by far my favourite restaurant in inverness.

1  Thank Grannynana
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a small, lovely restaurant where two young ladies run the show with efficiency and charm. The food is wonderful home cooking with generous portions. The presentation is exceptional and the choices were excellent. We returned the next night. The prices are incredibly reasonable. We noticed it was packed both nights. We made reservations for the second night after watching it fill up the first night and stay full. We noticed it is full of locals which tells you something about the quality of food preparation and the service. Don't miss this....

1  Thank fritzportlandoregon
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ate with colleagues on a Wednesday evening. The restaurant was busy but we had made a reservation.
The service was quick and the waitresses very polite. We all enjoyed two courses each, including goats cheese salad, beef stroganoff (off the specials board) and steak pie.
The bill was around £25 per head, which included two bottles of wine.
Would go back.