“Lovely atmosphere - good food”

River House Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: For an authentic taste of Scotland���s islands and Highlands look no further than River House, a beautiful restaurant on the banks of the River Ness overlooking the Grieg Street bridge to the Free North Church. The restaurant���s spectacular view���s are complemented by the casual sophistication of the dining room, a comfortable and unpretentious space with timeless design and a warm, cosy atmosphere which invites you to relax and really enjoy your dinner. Dedicated to sourcing the best possible ingredients from the surrounding areas, the River House kitchen cooks each dish to order in the open plan kitchen, using fresh, seasonal produce prepared in such a way that individual flavours shine through. Though mainly Scottish in heritage the River House���s recipes also take inspiration from international cuisine with, in particular, a nod to French cookery woven in to many of the creative, modern dishes. Wines are carefully selected to complement the River House menu, providing a good, but not overwhelming, choice of labels.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really nice place, lovely staff, relaxed and friendly atmosphere but still professional. Fish was excellent but slightly let down by accompanying veg and prawns being a little overcooked (nothing terrible - just a bit soggy and a little chewy, respectively). It almost feels churlish to complain about this as really we had such a lovely evening and the main part of the meal was excellent, but I was hoping for perfection and instead just got very good.

Overall we had a great time and look forward to going back soon.

2  Thank Dellboy53

Reviewed August 16, 2013

A delightful neighbourhood bistro on the edge of the city. Booking is highly recommended since it fills early and we saw a number of people turned away. The menu has seafood bias and the food is high quality, local produce, well presented at fair prices. It's small almost cosily cramped venue with a good atmosphere and thoroughly recommended if you want good food in a casual atmosphere.

2  Thank English-Exile
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had read the reviews of this restaurant on TA and had booked it far in advance. The restaurant itself is very small and the tables and chairs are very cramped - you will hear exactly what the people at the tables next to you say. Despite the owner being there, he made no effort to come to our table and give his recommendations. The waiter and waitress seemed very rushed and they kept on dropping things. My husband had the lamb chops which were very overcooked and overpowered with capers and lemon. I had the fish on special which was okay, not great. All in all, a very expensive restaurant for average food. There are better restaurants in Inverness.

2  Thank Lynnie07
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Selected this place over others based on menu options, size, local ingredients. Unfortunately I was seated facing the cook/ owner who repeatedly microwaved foods in plastic ice cream tubs (beans, zucchini, potato), which I do not consider safe, then dump food out onto plates. I watched him wipe hands on rag and pants, place rag on visible cutting board, then use same surface to cut onion and orange wedges for our salad. I do not know how clean his pants or rag were, but I found it unpleasant to watch. The ham wrapped chicken was dry and bland. Steaks had that burned fat taste one hopes to avoid. Watching chef take greens out of prepackaged bag from grocery store and place on our plates was dreadful. I asked server for additional wine (was not asked) and when I asked for more water, was given a pitcher with none poured for us. Can't say I have watched my wine getting measured into my glass before either. I just would not bother with this place unless you like the things I happen to be complaining
about.

4  Thank AwayfromWhatcom
piratealfie, Owner at River House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

I was saddened to read your experience with us here at River House was "unpleasant".

I wish you had let us know at the time, as each and every table is checked upon at least once, to ensure enjoyment of their meal.

I have never before felt compelled to reply to anything at all on Trip Adviser, strongly believing everyone is entitled to their opinion - whether it be good or bad!

However, on this occasion, due to numerous inaccuracies (too many to mention) and disparaging comments on hygiene, I feel I must.

At River House, stringent measures are in place to ensure exceptionally high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are achieved and maintained at all times.

I cannot put into words how strongly these are adhered to and how important they are to us.

Kind Regards,
Allan "Alfie" Little
Chef/Owner

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Interesting menu. The food was well cooked. Service was suitably attentive, despite the restaurant being completely full. The owner/chef came to introduce himself and make sure everything was up to standard; which was a nice personal touch. I would definitely recommend the restaurant.

3  Thank Philip G