“Excellent quality”

Ranked #5 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: For an authentic taste of Scotland���s islands and Highlands look no further than River House, a beautiful restaurant on the banks of the River Ness overlooking the Grieg Street bridge to the Free North Church. The restaurant���s spectacular view���s are complemented by the casual sophistication of the dining room, a comfortable and unpretentious space with timeless design and a warm, cosy atmosphere which invites you to relax and really enjoy your dinner. Dedicated to sourcing the best possible ingredients from the surrounding areas, the River House kitchen cooks each dish to order in the open plan kitchen, using fresh, seasonal produce prepared in such a way that individual flavours shine through. Though mainly Scottish in heritage the River House���s recipes also take inspiration from international cuisine with, in particular, a nod to French cookery woven in to many of the creative, modern dishes. Wines are carefully selected to complement the River House menu, providing a good, but not overwhelming, choice of labels.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Interesting menu. The food was well cooked. Service was suitably attentive, despite the restaurant being completely full. The owner/chef came to introduce himself and make sure everything was up to standard; which was a nice personal touch. I would definitely recommend the restaurant.

3  Thank Philip G

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Cosy, busy spot with good service, I ordered the fish special Sea Bream and my companion ordered Halibut. The fish was done to perfection. The rest of the dish components were tasty and well prepared but felt a little on the 'heavy' side ie gnocchi for such a light flaky fish. Overall still a top choice in Inverness for a special dinner out. Reservations are essential as this restaurant has limited capacity and we saw many folks turned away at the door.

2  Thank VanGoGal
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had seen this restaurant on Trip Advisor and based on the reviews thought that it would be a good choice. I'm pleased that I wasn't disappointed.

We decided to eat there on 2 nights as I had heard that the mussels were well recommended and I wanted to try it on one of those nights. When I booked via email Alfie had replied saying that all was fine. It wasn't until we arrived that I found out that he had especially ordered the mussels in for us. It's normally a dish that he serves during the winter so it was really lovely to hear that he had ordered it in just for us. And I'm glad that we did because they were lovely. Juicy and tender to eat and not stringy at all. They also came in nice creamy sauces which was divine.

On the other night that we ate there, we ordered from the main menu which had a great selection of seafood dishes. Alfie was able to cater for gluten intolerance and also made sure there was gluten free bread so that I didn't feel left out when everyone else was munching on bread. It was these little touches that made the evenings there special.

I would definitely recommend the restaurant and Alfie's attentive touch. It can get quite busy so best to get there early and avoid the crowds (though this may have been from the Scottish Open being held that week). They did have a new member of staff on one of the nights we went which made service a little slow but because we had experienced such a good time the night before we knew that it wasn't the norm. Definitely worth a try!

2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here for the first time in ten years. Again we were disappointed. My steak was done as requested and was tender enough and well flavoured. But it was only lukewarm. Likewise my wife's meat dish. The other courses were very ordinary as was the table. Staff attentive. Nothing here to warrant more than three stars.

2  Thank redpriest
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food was lovely and faultless, the service was very quick and courteous. I can see why it is voted no 1 in Inverness.

Would definitely go back again when back in Inverness.

1  Thank Jigglywuff