Kingsmills Hotel
$270
$187
$145
1,997 results
All reviewskings clubthe main hotelkingsclub spagarden roomspa buildingleisure clubluxury roomlovely hotelleisure facilitiesswimming poolconservatory restaurantbunk bedssauna and steam roomon arrivalseparate showerhuge bedwalk in shower
Reviewed October 10, 2010

A strange mixture of good and bad - we were left not knowing how to score this place. First - the upside - the room was clean with a very large bathroom and the bed was large and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The breakfast was pleasant with nice quality produce (although I do prefer toast to be brought to the table rather than D-I-Y).The breakfast staff were all lovely and the concierge Bill Sloan was welcoming and helpful. The strange mixture starts at the reception with staff who went from warm, friendly, helpful and informative to lacking in knowledge, apologetic for the things the hotel didnt have, to the downright curt and somewhat rude. Different faces appeared rather frequently at reception so we didnt really get to know anyone. Our check-in on 6 October was pleasant enough (although it was a bit fraught due to a large funeral reception taking place at the time and we were a bit non-plussed at the requirement to make a £50 deposit for any purchases made when they had our credit card details anyway) but my partners check-out on the 8 October was processed by a woman who said a terse 'can I help?' with no eye contact or conversation at all. Quite unpleasant. The other receptionist in the meantime was chatting to guests and asking them if they enjoyed their holiday with a lovely smile etc. We had booked a garden view room on the ground floor and got a first floor room overlooking the car park and right over the front entrance (ironically called room 101!). This mean't that we heard the coaches pulling up and the smokers having a chat into the night as they stood under our open windows - the trade off against the heat of the room. Having said that the rest of the time was quiet. The dressing table chair had lost its hydraulics and so kept falling down as I was trying to dry my hair at the mirror. There were missing TV channels and a reference to a TV guide that didnt exist. I asked the receptionist for a sewing kit for my trouser hem to be told apologetically as she fumbled in a drawer that they were 'on order'. Clearly there was no feedback form in our rooms which the hotel could have used to listen to its clients and seek to improve its service, hence the inconsistent staff behaviour and quality of service. I think this hotel is a bit tired and relies on loyal customers and corporate bookings for people who only stay a night at a time and move on. Perhaps we would have formed a differernt view had we stayed in the modern, garden view part. We didnt have dinner as we were advised by a regular visitor that the food was average for the prices charged. We ate at the Mustard Seed and it's sister restaurant The Kitchen on the riverside - (a 15-20 minute walk) , both of which were very good. How do I sum up? Like I said - a Curate's Egg - good in parts but so easily fixable with a bit of customer feedback, room maintenance, attention to detail and, most importantly, some consistent staff training.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian D
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

The "garden rooms" are our entry level of rooms, which you originally reserved, and you were upgraded to your room type, I apologise that this was not communicated to you. Since the change of ownership the new owners are investing back into the property, however this has to be carried out in stages and can not all be done at once. There are plans to modernise these room types also. I can confirm that all the rooms in the Macleod wing of the hotel(57 rooms), just last week were installed with brand new large flat screen tvs with freeview channels. All of our rooms also have sky sports 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I take on board your feedback regarding front desk and have shared this with our front office team and our front office manager is re-freshing training with all the team.

Your feedback is import to us. Regarding our dinner offering, I was dissapointed you did not get the chance to sample our dinner dishes. This year we added a two rossette chef to our team and his food quality and presentation is excellent.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We returned to the Kingsmills for our 8th visit. and a 7 day break from the pace of London. The hotel is well situated to mix good shopping with excellent walking nearby. The booking staff (Christa) discovered that this holiday was to celebrate my 60th birthday and a beautiful complimentary plate of strawberries and chocolates awaited us in our room - most welcome after our 12 hour drive. Reception and porter staff recognised us from previous visits and greeted us like long lost relatives. The room had a huge and amazingly comfortable bed, so comfy that I enquiried where I could buy a similar one. The bathroom had both a separate shower and large bath (very welcome after 15 mile walks!) Breakfast was very good, as I am vegetarian I choose omelettes instead of the usual bacon and sausages. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was being replaced in the pool area, but this did not really stop our enjoyment of the leisure facilities. Parking available always even when a wedding reception/corporate event was taking place and the town centre (which has excellent shopping) is only a 15 minute walk away and on a bus route. If I have one very minor complaint, it was that the wedding reception party/guests using the bar late at night, tended to stand outside to smoke and the smoke and their talking wafted upwards to our room. We will be back for more rest, walking and fabulour air next year

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed another visit to Kingmills. I was delighted to read that you choose our hotel to spend your special birthday at.

I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of the hotel and the godd food offering. Our team are very good at recognising repeat customers and I am glad there efforts were noticed and appreciated.

I can confirm a new spa jacuzzi has been fitted in the leisure club, it is really good. You will notice on your next trip.

Next year we have plans to build a smoking shelter to deflect the smokers away from our front door, this will be tied into other expansion plans that are currently being developed.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Having read the reviews on the Kingsmills Hotel we decided to book the Kingsclub and Spa new annex for our three night stay. We had a room on the first floor which was very spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the golf course. Nice to have a seating area in the room by the window and the bed was huge and very comfy. Large walk in shower and seperate bath. The only fault with this was there no hand held attachment for rinsing hair so if you make use of the pool do everything there. The pool was in the main hotel which involved a walk through the main car park, towels are provided but the area felt dated and the pool not that big. Very useful to have free use of a small computer suite for check in at the airport .Staff friendly and helpful and we would certainly consider a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest feedback, I am glad you really enjoyed your stay at our new Kingsclub and Spa. Whilst you walked up to the main Kingsmills hotel to use the leisure club, we also offer a buggie service from door to door. If this was not clear, I take on board and will advertise this fact further.

Look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

This was the first time we’ve stayed at the Kingsmill for a couple of years and since they’ve done the refurbishment and we both liked what they’ve done to the place.

Check in was efficient although the receptionist didn't exactly go overboard on the welcoming. We were allocated a room in the main hotel rather than the newer Kings Club building and whilst yes it could be described as old fashioned it had one big plus over newer hotels/rooms – decent soundproofing so no hearing you next door/upstairs neighbours and decent sized rooms!

The room was very big with 2 very comfy seats (and a little table) which was great as it saved you having to sit/lie on the bed to watch TV. The TV was still an old fashioned one but that will be changed soon enough I’d imagine given Inverness are about to undergo the digital switch off in a couple of weeks. The bathroom was very big too and I liked the separate shower from the bath and the fact it was a walk in shower too.

I really like the new lounge/conservatory area post renovation – hardly anyone used to use the conservatory for food when we were there previously but on both nights it was very busy. The sofa’s and chairs are very comfy too and I liked the fact they kept the guy on too who plays the piano – much better than listening to the standard piped music!

The restaurant was busy both days although there was no waiting time for a table, you were promptly shown to one and you tea/coffee order taken. It was a help yourself job to the breakfast buffet and well done for having Coco Pops! The hot stuff was plentiful on the Saturday but on the Sunday there was lot of shortages of everything so you had a wee bit of a wait whilst fresh supplies were brought out of the kitchen.

Checkout was a breeze and this time the receptionist was much more friendlier and chatted away whilst we did all the paperwork.

My only grumble was the extortionate cost of the internet - £15 for 24 hours!!!! (You could buy lesser time but it was still proportionately expensive!) Instead of paying that I used my Vodafone PAYG dongle and saved myself a fortune.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We had a two night DBB break at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were fortunate in being upgraded to the Kingsclub and Spa annex which is very new and the rooms are of an extremely high standard and very comfortable - on a par with Cameron House Hotel. We also thoroughly enjoyed our two dinners in the conservatory and the breakfasts were excellent also. The staff were friendly and service was good. I had a problem with a Spa appointment which, at the time, was extremely disappointing and was very impressed by the duty manager's care and interest in making good the hotel's mistake. We thought the location was fine and the 10 minute walk into town was pleasant. Would also thoroughly recommend the Jacobite cruise round Loch Ness - it was a glorious day ,which i am sure makes a big difference, but it was a great tourist experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest feedback. I am glad to read you really enjoyed your stay and the dinners on both nights of your stay. We have a great team of associates and whilst dissapointed to hear you had a problem with a spa appointment time, i was delighted to hear one of our managers took ownership of the situation and sorted it out for you.

Lookfor to hopefully seeing you again on a future break / holiday