“our christmas break”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Strichen, United Kingdom
“our christmas break”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked in here for one night as a christmas present to each other. This was our first stay here and was very impressed. Friendly staff, was given free upgrade to the Kingsclub - room upgraded to was great only crictism was to have an extra towel ring beside shower. Breakfast was good and nice to have it fresh rather hot buffet, didnt mind having to do own toast as at least it was done to our liking and timing but we were glad to sit down before a heap of other people arrived as dining was full by the time we had finished our breakfast. Had a lovely welcome plate of cake,shortbread and a piece of tablet. Pool facilities were lovely. We really enjoyed our stay and we would certainly go back. Very deserving of the four star status unlike the hotel we stayed in the Friday night - no comparison!

Room Tip: We booked a classic king room and got a free upgrade - not sure why this happened but not complainin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arl61W
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your christmas break and appreciated our top tier rooms within our Kingsclub. I also was glad to read that you enjoyed the quality of our food and beverage offering and plan to return in the near future. Haste ye back.

Craig Ewan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded to a room in the King's Spa block - very modern & comfortable. Plenty of room, beds very comfy and bathroom well appointed with walk-in shower as well as a bath. Welcome plate of muffin and shortbread, dressing gown and slippers provided-nice touch.
The a la carte restaurant was very good: tasty well presented food with portion size just right and attentive service. The pianist added to the occasion.
Breakfast was taken in the foyer area of the Spa block. Again, food good but when busy on the Sunday the staff were a little maxed out.
The gym and pool in the main hotel are good, although a few of the machines in the gym were out of order during our stay.
All in all though, I can't wait to go back. With a fully functioning gym and slightly better breakfast service it would have been 5 stars.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 696robm
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your guest review. I am glad you enjoyed our modern and very comfortable Kingsclub. I was also delighted to read that you appreciated the great service and food within the a la carte restaurant. Our resident pianist plays every Friday and Saturday and we have many very positive reviews about him. Just to give you peace of mind all of our CV kit in our gym has returned to fully functioning service ready for your next visit.

Stromness
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Annually my husband and I go to Inverness on a weekend break for Christmas shopping and we normally stay in the city centre in best western or premier inn which always was very satisfactory. This year as " A TREAT" he decided to book kingsmill and not tell me until we arrived! On arrival, at the main hotel we were warmly greeted and told we were staying at "the exclusive Kingsclub" which I thought sounded brilliant. We decided to eat in hotel on first night, the bar service was poor, gin and tonic served with splash tonic in a 4 star hotel?? Drinks v overpriced and nobody on hand to guide you to eat. After a wait of about 20 mins we asked the barman who came with menus, v limited choice and no vegetarian Option , we were sitting in bar area and were told we could only eat from that menu in the conservatory what a carry on! Eventually got served and ordered wine which came free with our meal, only to be given the wrong wine, this was a poor start to the break but only to get worse!

Next morning got up in ample time as my husband had an appointment in Inverness at 10am. Arrived in breakfast area at 9am to enjoy our breakfast at leisure. On arrival, there was nobody to greet you as such you were just lost so decided to help ourselves, but only one juice glass left and one portion of orange juice! Then what appeared to be a "restaurant manager" appeared and we sat down with our self service fruit/cereal and he took our order of 2 cooked breakfast and we ordered a pot of tea. Time now 9.05 and my husband went to make toast for us, which again in a 4 star hotel is v poor, normally it is served hot to your table. Our tea arrived and I was observing how many people were eating at the same time. In all there were 5 tables. We proceeded to drink our tea and eat our toast and waited and waited and waited until 45 minutes later I asked after my husband was furious and the waitress quite unconcerned said it would come soon. How long does it take to cook a breakfast for two? The other residents were equally frustrated as we spoke to them later. We then left without any breakfast as we had an appointment but not before speaking to the duty manager who was v apologetic and assured us the situation would be dealt with and we would be discounted on our bill, which never actually happened.

As expected we did not eat in the hotel that night and wondered if we would get breakfast next morning on time as we were leaving early. Forgot to say we ordered a daily paper on first morning but never got it and the receptionist was v unfriendly did not have finger on the pulse attitude which is required when in customer service. What a difference a day makes, but too little too late!!

On second morning, there was about 3 managers fussing about, all juice was full, plenty of everything and we arrived at 7.50am and left at 8.10 having had a full breakfast, but the damage was done, this was the service we were supposed to have gotten on both days and for a 4 star hotel it is not acceptable!

I have never ever complained about anything in my life and I have stayed in lots of hotels, but I was truly disappointed in my stay at the kingsmill and it actually ruined my break as we only get away once a year.

I certainly will not be recommending this place to any of my friends/family.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank CraigieFiona
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed guest review. I am very sorry that your expectations and our expections were not met/delivered. At Kingsmills we have 2 restaurants ; one serving a la carte food the other offering a fixed price 2 or 3 course menu, in addition to this we also have a lounge menu offerin home comforts, snacks and sandwiches. I am sorry you were frustrated that you were not allowed to eat from the a la carte menu in the bar lounge.

Reading your review on breakfast on your first morning we clearly had a problem which I was not aware of at the time. I was glad to read that our normal standard of service had resumed on your second morning. I am concerned that you did not receive the standard that you expected and that you did not receive the refund of your breakfast as you stated. I will investigate this further and I would appreciate if you were to call the hotel and ask to speak to myself directly. Due to the rules of this social media forum I can not provide you my direct contact details within this review. I hope to speak to you soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We recently held our conference in this lovely hotel with colleagues from across Scotland. It was a great success! Everyone commented on the lovely large bedrooms, comfortable lounge and bar space and the very friendly relaxing atmosphere. Our conference facilities were excellent and when we realised we hadn't book a room for our post dinner quiz, it was quickly sorted out and a room organised.

The spa is a little tired, but still pleasant to use. The only suggestion we have is that WiFi is made available free of charge throughout the hotel which many of expected in a quality hotel.

Breakfast choices were very good and set lunch & dinner options were excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank maureenchalmers
Dear Guest,

"Excellent conference venue" that just got better. Loved your review and glad you appreciated our fantastic associcates who work so hard. As of the 1st February the hotel has just launched 4 new conference rooms and a banqueting suite which can host dinners for up to 300. We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to the hotel for another successful conference.

Alyth
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The only problem with the Kingsmills, is that you always want to go back! We try and stay here to celebrate special occasions and as a treat, and are never disappointed. We have stayed in the main hotel and also the Kings Club and the latter was the case when we stayed last weekend. This was an upgrade from our booking, which was a pleasant surprise! What is offered within the Kings Club, is on par if not better than 5 Star Gleneagles and really sets the bar in relation to first class service and attention to detail. Consistent high levels of service are highly commended and the staff are attentive and most importantly over the years we have visited is how pleasing to see how high the retention of staff is with familiar faces in most departments. This shows that not only does the hotel provide an excellent service for guests but a happy working environment for their staff. Many employers could learn the lesson that happy staff = happy customers. Very much look forward to our next visit to the Kingsmills,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the excellent review "brilliant people treating people to an excellent experience" I think we should be recruiting you into our marketing department! Your review highlights the core values and culture that we work so hard at Kingsmills as a team to deliver. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Scotland
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a night and found it to be clean and comfortable. A bit"oldie worldie" in its style throughout! Reception staff friendly and informative. Good parking at front of hotel. Guest washrooms cld do with a facelift - drab and tired tiled look! Tv in our room was broken and wifi after 3 hr complimentary use was extortionate at £10 for 24hrs!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank annadhubh
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Kingsmills Hotel. I am glad you found the hotel clean and comfortable. I do prefer the description traditional instead of oldie worldie, however we are all different. I apologise that your tv appeared broken, we do have an excellent maintenance schedule however your room must have been overlooked on that particuar day. We do offer complimentary wi-fi throughout our reception and bar lounge. Hopefully we can attract you back to the Kingsmills in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Recently had a two night stay at the Kingsmill,we were made very welcome by staff and delighted to receive a complementary upgrade to the King's club. The cupcakes and biscuits were a lovely touch in acknowledgment of our anniversary.Our room was luxurious the breakfasts were tasty and substantial,the leisure centre a bonus and staff excellent. We didn't eat at the hotel as a little deterred by the cost of the drinks, but did expect this. Overall a great short break and would recommend.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Kingsmills I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary surprise. At Kingsmills our aim is to exceed guest expectations I am glad we achieved this for you.

Our food and beverage is slightly more expensive than High Street prices however the local ingredients, great surrounding and service are worth it. Hope to see you again at some point in 2014.