“comfortable room for a family”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Zurich, Switzerland
“comfortable room for a family”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

we stayed here while exploring the highlands of scottland. convenient location, easy access to motorways, very quite and clean, although some of the facilites show the sign of the times. breakfast is not very good, little care is seen in the foods provided, but we had it included inour rate so it was ok.

Room Tip: room 28 is very quite and provides enough space to sleep a family of 6
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Than you for taking your time to write your review.

I am happy to see you are enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and that it was easy to find and in a great location. Since the Hotel was bought over by a private owner in November 2007, He has invested a lot of money to refurbish the Hotel. We are currently building a new conference centre, and more renovations are planned in the future.

Haste ye back.

Craig Ewan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
scotland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in the more modern Spa building. Check in was easy, the room was a good size had a seating area and an outdoor patio looking out over the golf course. The bed was comfortable and the room had almost everything I needed. No wifi unless you pay £10 for 24 hours or walk over to the main hotel lounge, which is a total pain in this day and age and would make sure `I didn't use it again for business purposes. The spa building has a sort of apology of a lounge, being two sofas overlooking a tv with the sound turned down in the reception area. The main hotel is better equipped, but who wants to take that walk all the time. The food in the restaurant was good and service was attentive. Breakfast in the Spa area was lamentable - the buffet breakfast is worth missing if I am honest - the fresh fruit was so unripe it was almost inedible, the toaster took so long to brown the toast that went rock hard in the process and the spread on the table was margarine in little foil portions, ditto the jams - Robertsons in little foil packets. Given the effort they have obviously made with the bedrooms, which are very nice, the rest of the hotel just doesn't live up to it, and it is the small things which are so easy to sort out with minimal effort, but which would make a big difference. Free wifi in the rooms ought to be a given these days, a lounge of some sort in every building and a decent breakfast. If they want repeat trade, they are definitely not going the right way about getting it given that there are many many other places to choose from. Final report......could do better!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brighton
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Had a wonderful long weekend in April 2013 at this charming hotel and spa. The staff were very friendly without being overbearing - nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were so well appointed with very comfy beds and large wet room style shower area giving lots of space as well as a big bath. The decor was pleasing, towels plentiful and good quality with extra towels available when using the Spa which was a wellcome space after walking the beautiful nearby delights of Loch Ness all day ! Breakfasts were plentiful and the choice of evening restaurants perfect for either casual or more formal dining. A friendly bar alongside was also most welcome without being pretentious as in some hotels. Bravo Kingsmills ! highly recommended !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review on Kingsmills Hotel. I am delighted that you really enjoyed your stay, the choice of restaurants, quality and friendly associates.

I hope to welcome you back to Kingsmills Hotel at some point in the future.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just home from fantastic weekend at the Kingsmills Spa. Very friendly staff at reception to welcome you. Because it was a 'special' birthday for someone in the party we had a complimentary bottle of wine delivered to our room . Very comfortable bed, lovely 'rain shower' with all the usual toiletries, great hairdrier, fluffy towels and robes - what more do you need!! Waitress service breakfast in the spa with lots of choice. Free wi-fi in the common area of the hotel building.
Thanks to Craig and all staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Very much appreciate you taking the time to write a guest review. I am glad to read that you had a "special" weekend and you were very well looked after by our associates. Our team do work very hard and they do love delivering a great jo and try to exceed expectations.

Hope to welcome you back later in the year.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Heard a lot about the the Hotel, and will echo and endorse the last two reviews.
Service from the reception staff was excellent. Effiecient & friendly in the same balance, the GM was extremly charming and played the role of Mine Host very well.
Our request for an early check in was fully met, and this was a great hepl to my elderly mother. v
The room was decent size, and well furnished.

Our lunch however was disappointing. The waiteress was a bit sullen and we had to continually ask for breads and the likes. The actual food was poor in quality. I had the daily special of 'fish & chips' and it was obvious it was frozen fare. Disappointing given what we paid. Poor food & poor service.
Advice is to stay and sleep there, but dine out!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write your guest review. I am glad that overall you had a very good stay and enjoyed the hotel. I was disappointed to read your feedback on lunch service and food quality. This is not our usual standard and I will be addressing with the team as a matter of urgency.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I think I echo many recent reviews for this hotel - it is generally good but a few improvements are needed.

Firstly, I must start by complimenting the staff who were excellent at all times. When we arrived the reception staff were dealing with a 'difficult' couple and I thought they handled it really well.

Our room, one the first floor of the main building, was fine, although we were a bit disappointed to find that the massive bed was actually two twins zipped together. It was noticeable at night. The bathroom was ok, although the shower was a bit temperamental and was very dated. I think an upgrade wouldn't go a miss.

We went into town for dinner both nights, and the reception staff were happy to call us taxis etc. We came back and had drinks in the bar one night, and the 'lounge' areas were lovely. Loads of big comfy sofas with cushions.

The cooked breakfast and bakery bits were good but the fruit was obviously out of tins and looked a bit sorry for itself. Our service was ok, but the staff didn't seem to be communicating well. One chap sat a couple down at a table. While they were away at the buffet bar, a different waitress put another couple on their table!

We used the leisure facilities; the pool was fine but the jacuzzi wasn't working properly. The sauna and steam rooms were also not great - pretty cold!

The foundations are all there, I just think a bit more care and attention to the details is needed to make this hotel really meet its potential. If we are in Inverness again, we would come again, but I'd hope for some improvements.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and our fantastic team of assocoates looked after you. Kingsmills hotel returned to private ownership on the 30th November 2007 and current owner has been re-investing into the hotel heavily every since. The improvements made since the change in ownership are significant and there are plans to cover every area of the hotel, however as I am sure you can appreciate this can not all be done at once and it is a continual process. Areas such as the main lounge and reception along with both restaurants and all of our meeting and private dining rooms have already been completed. I saw that you made reference to the high quality of the lounge decore and very comfortable furniture.

I understand there was an error with one couple at breakfast being sat on the wrong table, this was an error in communication which I have discussed with the breakfast team, this was a mistake and was never intended.

I can also clarify the Jacuzzi and all other facilities in the leisure club are now fully functioning, once again. I apologise that the Jacuzzi was not operating, on the day you visited the club.

Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Kingsmills has got so much right yet trips up on some basics. The good points: the staff are excellent - Lisa (who checked us in), Angus (the restaurant supervisor - he'll go far) and Kim (who checked us out and has great client care skills and is just a really nice person) - all at the top of their game. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated, the beds are really comfortable, even the pillows are noticeably good. The bar area is great - lovely sofas, the whole place is in good decorative order and the location is handy. We were pleased to have a dish of welcome petit fours in our room - a nice touch. Reasonable wine list.

The not so good points: our bathroom had a smell of outside drains (room 806), one of the toilet flush buttons didn't work, the petit fours were tasteless, the Kingsclub building is soulless and the worst thing - the food in the restaurant. I'm not trying to be funny but everything about the restaurant was great with the exception of the food. Our dinner was prepared from good ingredients and everything was cooked properly. It lacked taste - I had the chicken with porcini mushrooms - it didn't taste of anything. The two people who I had dinner with had other dishes all the food was bland. The breakfast buffet was minimal - it was ok. The wifi is not free - very unimpressed with that for a four star hotel.

We paid c£90 for our twin room - good value. If I'd paid the rates advertised in the hotel reception I'd have been pretty sore. I'd stay there again but wouldn't bother eating in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel building will be quieter than the Kingsclub which is right beside the main r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a guest review. I was delighted that you liked the hotel, appreciated the quality of the finishings and found the staff to be very friendly and efficient, I will ensure your praise is passed on.

I was dissapointed to read your note on the taste of the food, I have asked our executive chef to discuss this with me this morning. I was also dinning in the hotel on Saturday night with a large golfing group and I spoke to other diners in the lounge after dinner and I recieved all very positive feedback from everyone I spoke to. I will investigate further.

I was not aware that there was an issue with the drain / toilet in your room and that will also be investigated further. We do have free wifi in the reception lounge and bar lounge and charges in the room are small starting from £2.50 on a system that does allow you to log on and off.

I thank you for your feedback once again, the positives will be shared and prasied the negatives will be investigated further and rectified as a matter of urgency.