“excellent hotel and lovely staff”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel and lovely staff”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The staff in this hotel are really what makes it so special, our family came to stay here due to a member of our family taking ill in the hotel and being admitted to hospital, we stayed for a week whilst visiting her and every day all the staff took time to ask how she was and even gave us a lift to the hospital to visit. Their concern was genuine and each and every member could not have done more for us all. The rooms were spotless with the most comfortable, biggest bed you can imagine, the cleaner that we saw always had a smiley, friendly face and did her job superbly. i can possibly agree with other comments about the food being slightly over priced for the menu and the menu not being as high standard as you would maybe expect, however really for me this is not an issue, the food was nice, service with a smile and although our circumstances for ending up staying in this hotel were not the happiest, i am glad that this was the hotel we ended up in as from now on any future visit to inverness will always see us staying in the kingsmill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed report, on your experience at Kingsmills Hotel. We do have a fantastic team of associates who do really work hard to try exceed guest expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills at some point in the future.

Craig Ewan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
UK
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband was booked into this hotel for business and as I had never vistied the area I decided to tag along. I am extremley glad i did as i had the good fortune to stay at this wonderful hotel. The room was spectacular and the bed was the biggest bed I have seen and was so comfortable i had to drag my self out in the morning. The room was spotless and had most things that you need in a hotel room. Best thing was a proper hairdryer. All to often you get a tiny dryer that take me,I have long thick hair, hours to dry. I normally bring my own for this reason but forgot on this trip so was very happy to see it. Breakfast was tasty,hot and plentiful. Excellent selection from a full Scottish to continentail. All you could wish for.The staff were helpful and polite without being intrusive. We arrived early and normally I would have to wait around for the regulation check in time, but the receptionist checked if the room was ready (which it was) and I was allowed to check in early. This was something I greatly appriciated. If I had to make one very small critisism is that a mini bar or small fridge in the room would have been appriciated. I woke in the night and would have loved a cold drink. I know there is 24hrs room service but this did seem excessive to call just for a cold juice/pop. One the whole it certainly earned it 4 fours for me and the next time my husband has the good fortune to be booked in this excellent hotel i shall certaintly be stowing away.

Room Tip: We stayed in 112. If you are intending to sleep during the day or late in the morning there are buil...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank takerbabe
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent stay at Kingsmills Hotel. I am delighted you decided to tag along to your husbands business trip and enjoyed your stay so much. We would be delighted to see you back in the future.

Our Kingsclub bedroom room types "Cacoon" and "Retreat" do have mini bars with complimentary fresh milk for the tea and coffee and a selection of wine, beer and soft beverages.

Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here a few times,but not for a few years,I am however delighted to say it is still a perfect place to stay.clean and spacious rooms,the bed was huge!used to have minibar in room,but unsure if that's no longer the case or if by using laterooms to book we were given a cheaper room? Only gripe I had was the type of wine I like could only be bought by the bottle.

Room Tip: May be worth paying a little more for a nicer room,ours was nice but have had much nicer in that hot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 228selkie
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that over all you really enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the hotel on yet another stay. You are right we do have different room types which are all very good, however if you pay a small supplement you can have an even better room.

Haste ye back.

Inverness
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went along for a Swim Lunch here recently after the experience had been recommended by a friend. At £15.00 per adult it's a fairly cheap day out considering there's full use of leisure facilities inc towels etc and then a two course lunch. The pool, jaccuzzi, sauna, steam room, changing facilities etc were all great and i had thought i could quite easily make this a weekly treat. Then I got to the restaurant! I had the audacity apparently to arrive at 13:55 for a 14:00 booking and was barked at for being the last table. Apparently it would've been okay if the lady in the leisure dept had phoned ahead, etc, etc but i really didn't see how this was my concern. The woman who served us said she'd have to take out order really quickly (we obliged - no messing with her!) as the kitchen stopped serving. But actually, we only wanted a sandwich and they serve sandwiches all day. She took delight in telling us that we weren't entitled to a starter if we were having a sandwich. The experience was pretty awful really and it became obvious to me that we were being treated in this manner because we had bought the package deal as advertised. The value for money ended up being pretty poor given that we each had a basic club sandwich for £35. Should anyone at the Kingsmills ever read this... If you're going to allow your staff to make people feel 2nd class because they've bought your package deal, then please stop putting together package deals! It's not my fault i bought it and the attitude of the staff really puts me off setting foot back in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amccinv
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your Swim Lunch offering at Kingsmills hotel. I was glad to read you enjoyed your time in the leisure club, our pool temperature is always nice and warm and never too busy. The swim lunches are fantastic value for both adults and children. I was disappointed to read about your greeting and attitude you received in the restaurant. I want to assure you that this is not our normal culture, far from it and I will be investigating and taking corrective action on the back of your comments.

Please do try us again.

Aberdeenshire, Scotland UK
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We came to the hotel looking for a relaxing night away and that's exactly what we got. We stayed in the new annex (kings club) and had booked a king size cocoon room. On arrival the heating wasn't working so we were offered a free upgrade to a room almost identical but upstairs with a sectioned off balcony, the staff were great. The room was gorgeous, very modern and the biggest bed we've come across and the bathroom just as indulgent. We loved it.
We made use of the free spa and spent the afternoon in the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Really nice.
In the evening we couldn't be bothered heading into town (it's quite a bit out of the centre) so had dinner in the main hotel. This was the only disappointing in part of our stay. The restaurant needs done up, the staff were all very young and the service was average, and the meal was okay but not great. It wasn't too expensive though.
Breakfast was lovely though, served in the new annex it was a much nicer experience. They should have this as the main restaurant in the evenings as its lovely.
Overall loved this hotel and would definitely go back, but would book a restaurant in town.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ReviewerAberdeen
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly the comfort of your luxury bedroom and relaxing time in our leisure club. Regarding your visit to the Inglis restaurant I was disappointed to read that you were not wowed by your experience. On Saturday we did have the unusual situation that a client hired the conservatory a la carte restaurant exclusively which is very unusual. We do not make a habit of this and if you were to visit again I would expected you to enjoy this experience.

Aberdeen
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights during 'twixmas'

The hotel has classic scottish hotel styling & we were greeter from a delightful older gentleman who on arrival. The room was as expected, although it would have been better to have a double bed as opposed to 2 singles pushed together (maybe some rooms would have an actual double)

The food in the restaurant was very nice and there is nothing to fault, other than when both me and my partner asked for ketchup they gave us about a teaspoons amount (not the end of the world tho, the food was very nice)
Breakfast was also very nice, thought on our 2nd day we were at last orders and I noticed the breakfast was not as fresh as the previous day when we made 1st orders

The hotels pool.jucuzzi,steamroom & sauna facilities were also fantastic

We left a jacket in our hotel room and the hotel posted it to us, thanks for that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am delighted that you had a great stay and our associates looked after you. I apologise that you did not receive King bed you requested. I would encourage you to return Kingsmills hotel, again and we will deliver this on your next visit.

Edinburgh
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had a good stay at the Kingsmills Hotel. My room was pretty good - the bedroom was very large and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was reasonable - the décor was a little tired and some of the fittings were not in great condition. The room was quiet - I slept very well on each night of my stay.

The restaurant was reasonable - the staff were good but seem a little overworked and hence service was sometimes a bit slow. The quality of the food was good - but the menu could have had more variety. The breakfast service was ok.

All of the staff that I came across were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay over all. I am disappointed that we did not manage to "WOW" you on this visit. I will investigate the staffing levels. I can also inform you that additional items are being added to our a la carte menu as of new week. It was slightly restricted directly after our Hogmanay period until our suppliers were back to normal.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Inverness.