“Swim Lunch - Be on your best behaviour!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Inverness
“Swim Lunch - Be on your best behaviour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went along for a Swim Lunch here recently after the experience had been recommended by a friend. At £15.00 per adult it's a fairly cheap day out considering there's full use of leisure facilities inc towels etc and then a two course lunch. The pool, jaccuzzi, sauna, steam room, changing facilities etc were all great and i had thought i could quite easily make this a weekly treat. Then I got to the restaurant! I had the audacity apparently to arrive at 13:55 for a 14:00 booking and was barked at for being the last table. Apparently it would've been okay if the lady in the leisure dept had phoned ahead, etc, etc but i really didn't see how this was my concern. The woman who served us said she'd have to take out order really quickly (we obliged - no messing with her!) as the kitchen stopped serving. But actually, we only wanted a sandwich and they serve sandwiches all day. She took delight in telling us that we weren't entitled to a starter if we were having a sandwich. The experience was pretty awful really and it became obvious to me that we were being treated in this manner because we had bought the package deal as advertised. The value for money ended up being pretty poor given that we each had a basic club sandwich for £35. Should anyone at the Kingsmills ever read this... If you're going to allow your staff to make people feel 2nd class because they've bought your package deal, then please stop putting together package deals! It's not my fault i bought it and the attitude of the staff really puts me off setting foot back in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amccinv
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your Swim Lunch offering at Kingsmills hotel. I was glad to read you enjoyed your time in the leisure club, our pool temperature is always nice and warm and never too busy. The swim lunches are fantastic value for both adults and children. I was disappointed to read about your greeting and attitude you received in the restaurant. I want to assure you that this is not our normal culture, far from it and I will be investigating and taking corrective action on the back of your comments.

Please do try us again.

Craig Ewan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Aberdeenshire, Scotland UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We came to the hotel looking for a relaxing night away and that's exactly what we got. We stayed in the new annex (kings club) and had booked a king size cocoon room. On arrival the heating wasn't working so we were offered a free upgrade to a room almost identical but upstairs with a sectioned off balcony, the staff were great. The room was gorgeous, very modern and the biggest bed we've come across and the bathroom just as indulgent. We loved it.
We made use of the free spa and spent the afternoon in the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Really nice.
In the evening we couldn't be bothered heading into town (it's quite a bit out of the centre) so had dinner in the main hotel. This was the only disappointing in part of our stay. The restaurant needs done up, the staff were all very young and the service was average, and the meal was okay but not great. It wasn't too expensive though.
Breakfast was lovely though, served in the new annex it was a much nicer experience. They should have this as the main restaurant in the evenings as its lovely.
Overall loved this hotel and would definitely go back, but would book a restaurant in town.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ReviewerAberdeen
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly the comfort of your luxury bedroom and relaxing time in our leisure club. Regarding your visit to the Inglis restaurant I was disappointed to read that you were not wowed by your experience. On Saturday we did have the unusual situation that a client hired the conservatory a la carte restaurant exclusively which is very unusual. We do not make a habit of this and if you were to visit again I would expected you to enjoy this experience.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights during 'twixmas'

The hotel has classic scottish hotel styling & we were greeter from a delightful older gentleman who on arrival. The room was as expected, although it would have been better to have a double bed as opposed to 2 singles pushed together (maybe some rooms would have an actual double)

The food in the restaurant was very nice and there is nothing to fault, other than when both me and my partner asked for ketchup they gave us about a teaspoons amount (not the end of the world tho, the food was very nice)
Breakfast was also very nice, thought on our 2nd day we were at last orders and I noticed the breakfast was not as fresh as the previous day when we made 1st orders

The hotels pool.jucuzzi,steamroom & sauna facilities were also fantastic

We left a jacket in our hotel room and the hotel posted it to us, thanks for that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am delighted that you had a great stay and our associates looked after you. I apologise that you did not receive King bed you requested. I would encourage you to return Kingsmills hotel, again and we will deliver this on your next visit.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had a good stay at the Kingsmills Hotel. My room was pretty good - the bedroom was very large and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was reasonable - the décor was a little tired and some of the fittings were not in great condition. The room was quiet - I slept very well on each night of my stay.

The restaurant was reasonable - the staff were good but seem a little overworked and hence service was sometimes a bit slow. The quality of the food was good - but the menu could have had more variety. The breakfast service was ok.

All of the staff that I came across were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay over all. I am disappointed that we did not manage to "WOW" you on this visit. I will investigate the staffing levels. I can also inform you that additional items are being added to our a la carte menu as of new week. It was slightly restricted directly after our Hogmanay period until our suppliers were back to normal.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Inverness.

Truro, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

A delightful hotel with, by and large, excellent service. Cleaning in the shower wasn't first class and the Table d'Hote menu was too similar for two nights running. Breakfast good enough but we had to ask for fresh eggs - and when are waiting staff, or whoever, going to realise the difference between a tea pot and a coffee pot? It's not rocket science and tea tainted with the taste of coffee is vile.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay and enjoyed the experience and service. The points that you have raise are relevant and I will address these with the various heads of department and ensure these are acted upon.

Oxenhope, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first time, for the 4 day Hogmanay celebrations. We had a wonderful time, because the staffs are so friendly and welcoming, led by the hands-on approach by the manager. Their team effort was demonstrated by the delightful staff pantomime presented to the guests and written by the House manager.
The food was top notch; we have never tasted beef so good (locally sourced from the Black Isle). Haggis became an eagerly awaited breakfast regular! The wine list was diverse and reasonably priced, plus a selection of Scotch which included local distilleries which we would not find south of the border! There was no hand-pulled beer on offer, but all the standard keg beers were there including a couple of Scottish brands.
Our room on the ground floor was spacious with a queen size bed, warm and quiet. The bathroom was big enough, as it contained a shower as well as a separate bath.
The location was about 1 mile from the city centre; only 5 minutes from the A9 (we arrived by car). It is opposite a park in a very pleasant spacious urban area. Car parking on the site was plentiful and next to the entrance. The hotel interior is full of character, with plenty of cosy spaces to relax and the restaurant is also divided into different areas, making it all feel friendlier.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a guest review on your Hogmanay experience at Kingsmills. I am delighted you choose to spend Hogmanay this year at Kingsmills and we did deliver your expectation of a first class Highland Hogmanay. We work very hard to ensure that all guests are looked after and I have a fantastic team who work very well together and thrive on delivering the experience with friendly service. As you now know we have a high percentage of return guests and I do hope we will see you again either next year of throughout the year.

Peebles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This is not the first time I have stayed here and I have to say that it is much better now it is not a Marriott. My room was big, clean and quiet even though it was near the lift. The staff were cheerful and even open to a bit of banter. Breakfast was great, couldn't help but have some of the haggis and black pudding. I wish the stay was more than the flit in flit out that it turned out to be this time. I look forward to going back to Inverness.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Skytourist,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on Kingsmills hotel. I agree with you, we have developed, invested, refurbished and improved the quality of service since the Marriott days. We will continue to work at all of these areas in the future. Success is never final. Thank you for the recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills hotel at some point in the future.