“Good value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Portsmouth, UK
“Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at the Thistle as we were arriving late in the evening to Inverness and had to pick up a hire car the next morning. Europcar has a desk in the hotel, so it was very convenient for us. We also found a deal on line which lowered the price by 25%. It is an average 3 star hotel, I sure there are better hotels to stay in around there but it suited our needs perfectly. The hotel itself is a little tired, but clean warm and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and even at the late hour we arrived served us with good hospitality. We stayed in room 103 and it was a little small but the bed was nice and firm and a good night's sleep was had. We had a soup and a sandwich in the bar which was okay, but we didn't try breakfast, see my review of Cafe Artysan.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Openered
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Thistle Inverness. I was glad to hear that you found the hotel clean warm and comfortable and the staff were very helpful.
With regards to your comment on the room being small, the room type you stayed in has a large king-sized bed which takes up more space than a standard double bed however we have both room types avaliable should you make a further booking you might like to try that room type as an alternative.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the city. Kind regards,
Dorothy MacLean - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed for the Saturday night on a weekend break to Inverness. The hotel was nice enough but if we had paid the full price instead of the deal we got I would have been a little less satisfied.

Myself, husband and teenage daughter shared a triple room on the fourth floor. The room was small but ok, it did have a proper bed for our daughter rather than a pull out sofa, which was good. The bathroom was a bit tired and in need of a freshen up also.

The staff at the hotel were without exception friendly and very helpful and the breakfast was superb, everything you could think of to eat was there.

The hotel is about a half hour walk from the centre of Inverness and if you are hungry and can't be bothered going into town then there is a KFC, a fish and chip shop and a Chinese takeaway directly across from the hotel

As I said if I had paid full price then I would think again about rebooking here next time but if a deal was available again then I would but probably just for a night at a time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear holibobin,
Thank you for your recent review on the Thistle Inverness following your stay. I was delighted to hear that you found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and very helpful and that breakfast was superb. I have passed your comments onto the team.
Kind regards, Dorothy MacLean
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 11pm after a long drive from Dundee .....and the bar was shut ! Room service would have been the only option with a £5 tray charge !
The room was basic but clean and breakfast was ok

All in all it was ok for one night but not for a longer stay

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear LizzieAn,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Thistle Inverness, I have passed your comments onto the night team for their review and to use this as a topic for training within the team.
Kind regards, Dorothy Maclean - General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I had a weekend break here in the executive double room. Lovely big bed and loved the bathrobe and slippers for a luxury feel to the break. Room and bathroom were spotlessly clean which isn't always the case in some hotels we've visited and is the thing that immediately makes me feel comfortable or not. We had got stuck in a queue of traffic due to a road accident which closed the A9 and decided to eat at the hotel to save us moving further - so glad we did as the food was lovely and prices were around average (we ate there the second night too). Husband's guiness was expensive but that's to be expected in hotels. Good choice of foods at buffet breakfast although the fruit was a bit tasteless which is a shame as that is my preference. Lovely fresh bread and toasting machine and the cooked food was excellent according to hubby. Didn't like tea from vaccum flask but waitress cheerily gave me a pot instead; coffee very good. Overall we were impressed by the hotel and staff who were very helpful and friendly. Not your usual anonymous hotel chain feel although large enough if that's what you prefer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Diane M, Thank you for your recent review on the Thistle Inverness hotel. I am delighted to read that you found the room and bathroom spotlessly clean, the food lovely with a good choice at breakfast. I have passed your comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Inverness in the not too distant future.
Kind regards - Dorothy MacLean, General Manager
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked in to the thistle for 2 nights in one of their suites. We were attending a friends wedding, but had some spare time to explore Inverness. The staff at the hotel were so friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean. The decor is a little dated, but fine for the reasonable cost of the room which included breakfast.
Breakfast had a wide variety of hot and cold, with a nice dining area.
The location isn't exactly central, but its not too far a walk from the shops and city centre. Or a 5 min taxi ride.
The cost from the airport to the thistle was around £13.
I'd pay the little extra for the suite again, as it gives you much more space.
The staff really made the stay welcoming and pleasent, we will return if we're ever that far up north again.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Tammy84, Thank you for your recent review following your stay here at the Thistle Inverness hotel. It was great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the room spacious and clean, breakfast had a wide variety and that you will be back.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards - Dorothy Maclean, General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in the hotel whilst visiting on business last week, I was greeted by Thomas on reception and had a very prompt check in and was glad to see I had a nice room which was clean with no problems. After a quite noisy but not disturbing sleep I went down for breakfast around 7:30 where I was greeted not so friendly (just got out of bed attitude) this was by the breakfast host but my opinion soon changed when I was greeted by a team of helpful polite waitresses. Rachel provided my with my hot beverage and provided me with a lot of information I was lacking from my company.ie directions and generally good conversation. Prompt check out and overall good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fergy99
Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments with regards to Thomas and Rachel and will pass them on. It is encouraging to hear such positive feedback for the team and we look forward to seeing you again when you visit Inverness.
Many thanks, Dorothy Maclean
Londres
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at Thistle Inverness couple of days ago, it was to my surprise that every single staff member was excellent, very warm and welcoming especially the staff at reception, the blonde receptionist, the reception manager and the front office manager I believe her name is Dorota? Rooms were comfortable and room service food very nice too. The location is not city centre however its just a few minutes walk away.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Inverness.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TSLondoner
Dear TSLondoner,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Thistle Inverness hotel. I was delighted to hear your kind words with regards to the team, rooms and room service food all of which I have passed onto the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle in the not too distant future.
Warm regards - Dorothy MacLean