Looking over the more recent reviews, I have to say that I agree with most of them. The food is particularly good. The wine list is seriously overpriced; the wines themselves are excellent, but if you know what their retail price is, it tends to take the edge off your thirst!
The hotel has some free facilities that (I think) are not shown on their website: they will lend you a TomTom SatNav; there is a PC/printer for guest use, or you can hook your laptop into their Bluetooth system; there is a sauna; tennis; croquet.
One quirky thing they do is that every evening a piper plays outside, at the front door. If it rains, he still plays there, and gets wet.
The rooms are very comfortable, but as it is a real country house they are not all identical. If you don't want to climb lots of stairs, you should ask for the larger rooms. There is no air-conditioning, of course, (you would only use it on one day in 700), but the rooms are provided with an electric fan. There is also an ironing board and an extra electric heater. Coffee/tea facilities are not provided in the bedrooms.
The furniture is a mix of high quality reproduction and the real thing. The decor is of genuine private country house, not the garish mix of colors and patterns that some hotels love.
They seem to run with a pretty small staff: the bar is not permanently manned, and sometimes there is no-one at reception. However, it's usually not a problem to find a member of staff, and anything you ask for is immediately provided.
Their customers include Prince Charles and Tony Blair (is that a suitable detail to include in a review?).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conde Nast Gold list property, Georgian Country House which boasts first class service in the Capitol of the Scottish Highlands. Award winning cuisine, magnificent walled garden and gracious rooms await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelsClick and Travelocity so you can book your Culloden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Culloden House Hotel Inverness
- Culloden Hotel Inverness
- Culloden House Inverness, Scotland