No subterfuge here, it's exactly as I expected. If you like living amidst history, you'll love Culloden House. It creaks, it moans, it draws you into it's variable guest rooms. I say variable because my wife and I had a fantastic room on the second floor but our traveling companions didn't book the higher-priced room and were assigned what could best be described as a spacious closet. Just be sure you know what room type you're booking.
The manager was very accommodating and even moved our friends to a better room for their second night at no additional cost, so tip of the hat for service.
Great restaurant quality, yet the service seemed a bit green and rushed. They could use some additional training. No such issues with the bar staff, they were on top of their games.
The grounds are incredible. Take the time to walk them all, the natural and man-made beauty will put a smile your face multiple times. And the redwoods...I think there were three of them, each towering over 60 ft.
The location is great for sightseeing. We booked a private guide for a six hour tour and we all agreed he (and the Inverness environs) were the highlight of the trip. But if you want to be closer to town, be aware you're a good 15 minutes away by cab (it's not walkable).
Lastly, most (if not all) evenings they pay a single bagpiper to slowly walk the perimeter of the mansion. His plaintive playing draws you out into the setting sun. Great way to enjoy a single malt, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conde Nast Gold list property, Georgian Country House which boasts first class service in the Capitol of the Scottish Highlands. Award winning cuisine, magnificent walled garden and gracious rooms await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Culloden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Culloden House Hotel Inverness
- Culloden Hotel Inverness
- Culloden House Inverness, Scotland