“A Scottish Country House as it should be.”
Review of Culloden House

Culloden House
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Toronto, Canada
“A Scottish Country House as it should be.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Culloden House is off the charts. The Adams house is beautiful, the lawns manicured, the walled garden much more attractive then some of the more famous gardens in the UK especially because of it's serenely private nature.
The staff is excellent and take real pride in making guests feel comfortable and well looked after in this country house environment. The only one negative comment is to make sure you get a big bed as the four poster bed we slept in was attractive but too small.
The food at dinner was fabulous, smallish portions of delicious things, whereas breakfast was anything from continental to a heart stopping Scottish breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I doubt there are many more splendid views available when you first arrive and see the striped lawn with Culloden in the background, it does look spectacular and Cyril our groundsman puts a lot of effort into ensuring it looks good.

Thank you for all your comments, I agree that some beds should be bigger and will pass your comments onto the owners.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Stephen Davies, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night here, just to say that we had stayed one night in a castle. This hotel is very beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and the flower garden is calming after a long day. The staff were all courteous and helpful. This is a beautiful and relaxing place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Cindy L,

Thank you for your lovely review, and I am pleased you managed to relax and enjoy all that the house had to offer, rooms such as our Adam's Lounge and Library Bar are fantastci for lounging in and enjoying some afternoon tea or reading a book.

Hope to welcome you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I will never forget our stay at Culloden House Hotel and cannot wait to return. From the moment you drive up the courtyard to the rear of the House to park you know you are in for a treat. We were met at the door by two lovely members of staff who straight away helped us with our bags. We were then shown to our room which was up four flights of stairs but well worth it. We had a four poster bed on the top floor which was so lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable. The first evening we went for a drink downstairs, I have never seen so many bottles of different whiskies. A member of staff kindly explained a few to me to enable me to make my choice. I have to agree with other reviewers that the best thing about this hotel though is the staff. They are incredible and so friendly, nothing is too much trouble and they certainly aim to please. On our second and last night we had a meal in the dining room. Unfortunately I am a very fussy eater and did not really fancy anything from the menu. This was no problem to them and they were able to suggest something to me that worked. The meal was perfect but please leave room for a dessert, they are amazing. The breakfasts are again outstanding. I am just so sorry we only spent two nights here - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela T
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we delivered a memorable experience!

Thank you for your kind comments and hopefully we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This has so far been one of the highlights of our trip. An historic homestead located near the battlefield visitor centre. Set amongst magnificent garden and lawns. The dinner was superb. The staff were first class and a place I would return to anytime it was offered. The rooms were very spacious and I would highly recommend the experience .

Room Tip: Have learnt to pay a little extra for superior double.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Brian S,

WOW, high praise indeed and I am so happy to read you enjoyed your stay at our small but friendly hotel!

Superior room upgrades are by far a good idea, the classic entry level rooms tend to have obscured views and for the little difference in price an upgrade makes total sense.

Kindest regards,

Stephen Davies
New York City
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for one night last week and we had a great time. The drive up to the house is impressive, it really takes your breath away and the exterior of the house itself is awesome, in the literal sense of the word. Honestly, I was expecting a bit more in terms of luxury with the interior, but it does have the unintended feel as if you are staying at a friends country house - it's comfy,cozy and clean.
We had tea, and then dinner - which was excellent. Breakfast was a treat too. The food was tasty and well presented.
We went for a little walk around the grounds and into the walled garden which is like something out of a movie - it's beautful and so fragrant. I could have sat there forever.
But I have to save the best for last - the real gem here is the staff without a doubt. I wish I was better with names, but there was not one person we met there that didn't wow us with their friendliness, helpfullness and wonderful senses of humor. Everything just seemed very genuine. The man that staffed the front desk while we were there (wish I could remember his name!) pulled us into the bar for a little impromptu whiskey lesson, learned more there than I did on the distillery tour! His suggestion for my whiskey-hating husband (when I got back home) was very well received, he loved it. I also have to mention Jim,the bagpipe player,who comes out every evening to play - he was so personable and friendly and stayed around to clue us in about everything bagpipes. The staff really make this place special.
Lastly, it was a huge thrill for a history lover to stay in the place that Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at before the doomed Culloden Battle.
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I am delighted you enjoyed your "Culloden" experience, and happy to learn that your husband made a good recovery following his accident.

Michael our Head Chef has been with us for many years and he and his brigade always try their best to ensure they treat local produce right and prepare it skillfully but simply.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully we will have Duck on the menu!

Kind regards

Aberdeen
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while my husband was in hospital following an accident. The staff were kindness itself and could not have been more helpful. Stephen the manger and his staff asked after my husband with genuine concern.

As for the hotel itself it is the most beautiful building and the rooms are very tastefully decorated. I stayed in 2 different rooms as I was originally only staying one night, one was very Scottish in decoration and other equally beautiful. I had dinner both evenings and I have say the food had obviously been prepared with love and attention. The duck was the best I have ever tasted and although you can get dinner locally at a cheaper price I don't believe it compares with Cullodens kitchen.

The walled garden was a peaceful delight and I spent time admiring the flowers and plants. Unfortunately as my husband was in hospital he did not get to appreciate this wonderful place. Therefore I will be booking a weekend in November as I would really recommend this lovely hotel where you can relax after enjoying what Inverness and area has to offer.

I will also be looking for forward to Duck for dinner if it is on the menu.

Thank you once again Stephen Davies and you wonderful staff

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been looking forward to my visit to Culloden and Culloden House Hotel for months. For the money, I had very high expectations. I suppose what you are paying for is the building's history and the very good service, because the rooms are uninspired. Other than the age of the stone wall that completely blocked any view out of the room, I could have imagined I was in a Motel 6. The decor was...well, hotel industrial. The bathroom was wall to wall linoleum, the toilet did not flush easily, and the shower water pressure was weak. There was a towel warmer, but the bath towels were stacked on a shelf. There are no lifts, so with the stairs, winding halls, and multiple fire doors, it's not easily negotiated with luggage. There seems to be only a few staff doing everything. The same young man who helped us with our bags, also served us dinner. The same gentleman who bartended in the lounge also hosted us at dinner. That said, all staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The dinner at Culloden House is very good, but way overpriced for what it was. That may explain why the two of us were the only ones in the dining room for dinner for the first bit. The server mentioned that the guests who have already dined there usually go into town for dinner for additional nights they stay. I can see why. I had the tournedos of beef with cauliflower purée. It was $55 USD just fornthe entree and my steak knife would barely cut it. For that price, I should have been able to cut it with my fork. The dessert was very attractively presented and very good. But for a $200+ price tag on the dinner for the twonof us, everything should have been as stunning to the palate as to it was to the eye. That just wasn't the case. All in all, the place just really needs some loving attention to make it feel authentic and classy. There are just some very ratty features that could easily be addressed to let guests know that the owners care about maintaining this historical site. Other old buildings we have stayed in have the charm of their history, but the recreated luxury and class of the period, plus the. Modern creature comforts we've come to expect in high priced accommodations. I am just not sold on Culloden House, but I give the multi-tasking staff major props.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia B
Thank you for your feedback, we do take all customer feedback seriously and will ensure that the points raised are investigated and actioned.

Stephen Davies, General manager