We just returned from our Spring Break trip, originating in Atlanta Ga and headed for Inverness Scotland. We were warned by all of our friends that traveling to part of the world in the first week of April was sheer madness. That was not important to us, our goal was to experience a far off land, with very few tourists, and to relax in a picturesque setting. We were rewarded with 4 days of crystal clear sunshine and cool temperatures - every bend in the road was a post card.
We flew into London on a Saturday morning, stayed 1 night in London (Marriott Park Lane - wonderful location and service)...then we took the Caledonian Sleeper train from London to Inverness. The train departs London at 8pm and arrives in Inverness at 8am. You have not lived until you have slept the night away on a night train in a surprisingly comfortable bed!
We then checked into this wonderful Scottish manor house called the Culloden House. It is just what you imagine that it would be, built a few hundred years ago and sits on beautiful grounds. The rooms were unique, cozy, and very Scottish Highland. The bar and restaurant were a nice place to unwind at the end of a day of sight seeing. (The bar was stocked with every type of Scotch that is distilled within the country!)
But I save the best for last. The service was incredible. The General Manager Steven made us feel as if we were staying at Downton Abbey...except everyone had a great sense of humor. We also had great fun at night in the lounge (by a roaring fire) with our fine footman, Noel...who was a complete hoot.
Luxury, history, and that wonderful Scottish sense of fun. We WILL go back to the Culloden House.
Sadly, after our four days of heaven at Culloden (and driving a rental car on the wrong side of the road!), we departed and headed back to the train station to catch the Caledonian Sleeper back to London, and back to the US.
The trip was absolutely perfect, and it was sad to leave such a lovely place and lovely people.
Culloden House made it all work perfectly!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conde Nast Gold list property, Georgian Country House which boasts first class service in the Capitol of the Scottish Highlands. Award winning cuisine, magnificent walled garden and gracious rooms await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Culloden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Culloden House Hotel Inverness
- Culloden Hotel Inverness
- Culloden House Inverness, Scotland