“Acceptable - just - for one night near the station”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Brussels, Belgium
“Acceptable - just - for one night near the station”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is a concrete box disfiguring what the hotel calls the old town. The entrance is anonymous, the inside is a bit shabby and smells of chlorine. My £95 privilege room was large, the rest small. Two small radiators kept the room borderline cold, even on max. The small, clean bathroom had no flat surface save for the wc cistern, baffling controls for the bath /archaic shower, with warning notices about the hot water and not to let the steam out the door. Hanging and storage space was limited for a double room. The safe was at floor level (!). On a wet Thursday night on the fifth floor to the front I was not disturbed, except by the noise of rain hitting galvanised metal. A N*spr*ss* machine was no compensation for the deficiences.

There was no information in the room about facilities, probably because they cannot be guaranteed from one day to the next. The description, timings and photos of the restaurant on the website are a petty fraud. On my Thursday night, it was closed; dinner was in the nondescript bar, with industrial-looking food on the menu, which sent me elsewhere. For the Friday night, it seemed only a row of tables at the window had been set for dinner, while all the rest were ready for breakfast. If the restaurant is so wonderful, why is it not advertised at the hotel entrance? For breakfast, there are plenty of alternatives in the vicinity.

I have registered my opposition to marketing from Accor (I have a card) yet, next day, I received a marketing e-mail from an outfit called Jupiter hotels, to whom Accor seems to have handed the Mercure brand in the UK. In 2013, I stayed in Mercures in Tokyo, Strasbourg and Bratislava. If the owners/managers of these hotels stayed here, they would surely be dismayed at this debasing of their hotel name.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Felix0309
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this stay. I appreciate your feedback and will look into the issues you encountered during your stay.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, also gave directions to places we wanted to visit. I do agree with other comments, rooms , especially bathrooms need upgraded. Would def stay again, ask for room with river view

Room Tip: River view if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to review your stay. I appreciate your constructive and positive feedback. I am glad that you took the time to explore our beautiful city and the team were on hand to guide you.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My friend and I decided to stay at the Mercure hotel due to the central location. We stayed here for two nights and was situated on the four floor with a nice view of the river side. The room was small although if it's just a kip at night you are after then it's perfect. The beds were however very uncomfortable. We did not manage to view the spa area so can not comment. The breakfast was very standard. However, overall the hotel was nice and I would probably visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river side view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terri M
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry that our beds did not suit your preference. I appreciate your feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Recently stayed here for two nights. The rooms were clean and tidy and the reception staff very helpfull. The room was a little cold and an additional heater was requested from reception. This was supplied very promptly. Our room over looked the river and had a nice view. Parking was difficult on the saturday as the hotel was fairly full, however additional parking was available near by at cost. A good location for inverness centre!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors facing the river to get a nice view, and avoid the noisey...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am glad that you enjoyed our central location and I appreciate your constructive feedback. All feedback is used as we continually try to improve our service.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Dundee
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I attended here for one night on business. Found the room cleanliness and amenities to be sufficient however the television and ambient noise from the corridor and neighbouring rooms to be a little frustrating. Not the guests fault I might add. The noise from each and every door being opened and closed was prominent with little to no sound proofing used from the sounds of things. This is a real annoyance of mine and a fundamental basic that a hotel should get right.

The television struggled to receive a channel that was possible of being watched and the remote control standby button didn't work so the it had to be switched off at the mains socket.

The already limited parking wasn't helped by the several vehicles that appeared to belong to local workman that were working outside the hotel/hotel grounds.

The staff were all very polite and helpful throughout the stay.

The conference suites that we were using the following day was well catered for and the service here was good. The only downside is that the door lock functions on the conference suites always required assistance from the staff as the key cards never worked.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and provide us with some good, constructive feedback. We will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We checked-in here for a night on our way back to Manchester from Isle of Skye and we were glad we stayed at Mercure.
Meeting Laura upon checking-in was a most pleasant experience as we have met the most polite, patient and helpful front-desk staff ever! Laura was knowledgeable and most accommodating to our requests, a real gem of your hotel indeed. She was even apologetic for not being able to get a river-facing room for us except a suite which was really not our choice for a one-night's stay. We wish we had a chance to meet her again upon check-out but it was not meant to be. Regardless, this hotel had plenty of other priceless gems as their staff and their rooms are comfy to boot. Had a great time here despite a night & will be back should we drop by Inverness in future. Thank you Mercure Inverness staff!
ps. Love your pool table too & your lobby is so cozy/warm & homely. Kudos!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much and will share your feedback with Laura on Reception. We have 2 Laura's that work on Reception so although its difficult to tell which one you met, I am confident it could have been either one of them as they are both valued members of our team.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.