“Great location”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our first impression of the hotel was not good because they messed up our booking. But the way the hotel resolved the issue was excellent and we were very happy. The location is ideal, just walk out the door and you are in the heart of Inverness. We had views over the river which was great. The car park is limited and does cost guests a nominal amount (I don't understand why the hotel does that) but be aware. The birds love the car park, they seem to fly around all day in some sort of thermal. Nice, but they leave little messages everywhere. Our car needed a good clean after we left. We stayed five nights here and found that Inverness was a wonderful place for tours out of town. Lots of places to go and things to do. Breakfast at the hotel was expensive but there are heaps of restaurants and cafes around that are much cheaper.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found time to enjoy the facilities our City has to offer.
I am sorry that our local Gulls took advantage of your clean car, they do seem to target the nice shiny cars!
I hope we can welome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel for one night during our tour of Scotland.
We stayed in a twin bedded room on the fourth floor with views over the river.
I was disappointed by the hotel room- it was an average size but bland and on the verge of being shabby- the beds were very small singles and the mattresses had definitely seen better days- we both had a uncomfortable nights sleep- especially my son, who, at 6foot 4 tall found the beds to be much too small.
The staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was fine but overall I was disappointed- we paid £140.00 for the twin room with breakfast- we wanted a central Inverness location but on reflection we could have got a good standard B and B for half the price.
On the plus side there is ample parking for hotel guests at £2.00 immediately outside of the hotel- and the location is good with an exit straight in to the centre of Inverness

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate all feedback and use this as we continually try to improve our service.
Our beds are all standard size, they are 6' 3" in length so as you say they may have been a bit short for your son.
I am glad that you enjoyed the location of our Hotel with the City on our doorstep and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your Scotland tour.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on a trip to celebrate my birthday. I note that some people have written adverse comments about the rooms but we booked a 3rd floor superior room and it was impressive. The room was very large with a separate sitting area, very comfortable and overlooked the river Ness. The bed was extremely comfortable though why we need 9 cushions and pillows I'm not sure. There was no noise from other guests apart from the occasional bedroom door slamming (they have extremely aggressive closing mechanisms).
During our stay the weather was very hot and as there was no air-con we left the windows open, which meant we had to put up with the noise from the seagulls and the occasional late night reveler.

The staff were friendly both at reception and in the dining room. The breakfast room also had views of the river and provided a good choice of freshly cooked food and continental breakfast options. The only things missing were ham and cheese for the continental choice and some decent bread (not standard sliced loaves).

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one of our recently refurbished Superior rooms. The cushions and pillows are part of the design of the room and I am sure you will agree do look very nice but perhaps not all guests like so many.
Thank you for your constructive comments and we will use these as we continually try to improve our service.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Great location, central to all the activities available. Close to bus and train stations. I upgraded to a superior room which was spacious and overlooked the River Ness. I had read complaints about noise but even though we had the windows open because it was so hot, I only heard people one evening/early morning and it was only whilst they were passing. So not a problem for us. bathroom was a bit dated and could do with a refit. The handle on the door did not work properly and a small bolt had been fitted to be able to lock. Otherwise the room was very nice with plenty of room for storing our clothes etc.
Did not rate the bar though. It was expensive and very hot, they did not seem to have the air conditioning on even though it was available.
Breakfast was very nice with a wide choice of hot and cold food.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river may be a bit quieter.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I appreciate your constructive feedback and we are in the process of a planned improvment programme.
I do hope you will stay with us in the future and see the improvments we are making.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Parking is limited, and it's not clear that as a resident you don't need to pay at the ticket machine, but you must ensure correct registration is given to reception. Car park is frequently blocked by delivery wagons so park near exit if you can.

From the car park, you have to take the lift to the first floor to get to reception. Again, this is not clear.

I'd recommend leaving the bags in the car until you've confirmed access to your room!

The first key card we were given didn't work. The second worked, but the room smelt strongly of cigarettes. This room, on the second floor, also had a small double bed against the wall, which is unacceptable for a couple.

We were then given a room on the third floor, but yet again the keycard didn't work. The next card worked on the second or third attempt, so we decided to live with it, and the room had a decent sized bed with access on both sides.

During this whole process the receptionist was very helpful and apologetic, and generally we found the service from the staff to be very good.

From reception, there is access directly onto the streets of Inverness centre, with plenty of shops and places to eat.

Breakfast had a good selection of hot and cold items from a well-stocked buffet.

Room Tip: Get a river-facing room to avoid noise. Insist on access to both sides of bed if more than one of yo...

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that the 1st room you were allocated was not acceptable and not to our usual standard. I am delighted that you found our team to be helpful and they will appreciate your comments.
I appreciate your constructive feedback and we will use this as we continually try to improve our service.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Room 232 - right next to Bank Lane, it appears - kept awake from 23:00 until 03:30 by wandering drunks shouting at each other. Then wakened at 06:20 by a delivery lorry right underneath me, with a road sweeper shortly after. Gulls making a noise most of the night too. So, less than 3 hours sleep in a boiling hot room. Was completely knackered for my meeting the next morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank George F

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that it was not entirely satisfactory.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com