“Old world charm, beautiful views, excellent food!”

Glenmoriston Town House
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We booked the Glenmoriston Town House based on the reviews and found it quite comfortable and pleasant. The room we ended up in had gorgeous views over the River Ness. The beds were excellent and the entire hotel was very clean and well kept. The only drawback to our room was the tub instead of a shower. The tub had a handheld wand for bathing so I managed, so if you want a shower make sure you ask for one.

The dinner was exceptional. The restaurant is lovely and the service and food is impeccable. My husband had the best lamb chops he's ever eaten, and my paella (topped by an enormous prawn) was delicious. We took a long stroll down the river walk after dinner and enjoyed the evening very much.

One final note -- the hotel puts a charge on your credit card when you check in that is substantially higher than the quoted rate for your room. Then when you check out they charge your card for what you have used. Maybe they think you'll drink lots of Scotch and run up a tab or something. Now you know so you don't think you're getting charged the wrong rate.

The front desk staff was helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was excellent, a piping hot Scottish breakfast served with tea and coffee, all while looking out over the stunning River Ness.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Glenmoriston Town House Inverness and many thanks for your kind words. It is great to hear that your experience with us was most enjoyable and that you truly appreciated a number of aspects of your stay. I will be delighted to share your comments with the rest of the team here and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Jonathan

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Booked this online , knowing Inverness well, and knew the location to be good. Was impressed by the charming and attentive wait staff and bar people and the room, inan annexe , was small , but perfectly clean and adequate. We ate I the A bus tract restaurant and it was immediately clear that it was slick and professional. My only small gripe, and I've noticed this from other reviews is the contrast of service at breakfast. The people serving were attentive and pleasant ( bar one !) however, what is going wrong with the service standard .? There seems no communication between anyone as to who has prepared the table, taken hot food order, offered tea/coffee, toast etc. and it seems an eternal bombardment of mis - communication regarding " would you like tea / coffee ? Has someone taken your hot order to the customer having to say can I have some toast ! All needing simlyfied by an overseer , which is so in stark contrast to the evening experience ! Also, inconsistency in the quality of the buffet - even early on, no fruit, dishes needing topped up etc. it's all ok, but somehow doesn't sit right with the overall standard impression of the rest of the hotel.would I return ? Yes, but after comparing similar options nearby.

Room Tip: Please ignore my points on fitness centre and swimming pool - typo ! - it's non - applicable
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

All the team really appreciated your very kind review and join together in looking forward to welcoming you back. With all good wishes, Jonathan

Reviewed July 1, 2014

we stayed overnight on a last minute booking where we got a great deal......getting there was a bit of a nuisance due to roadworks and one way traffic. the room was very nicely finished and very comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was spot on.

would definitley stay again if we can get a price like the last time.

Room Tip: river side views are lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review. Please come back and see us again soon but, in the meantime, happy travels. With all good wishes, Jonathan

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced given that it is situated right on the river bank. The staff could not have been more attentive - eg bar service was prompt and charming, reception staff always helpful and informative. Wonderful breakfasts, gracefully cooked and served with lots of smiles. The hotel is let down by its appearance - those uPVC windows are horrible and spoil what must have been a gracious building. My room was very small and cramped with a shower room that had been squeezed into one corner and the lounge area has too much furniture in it, all of it ugly (someone bought a job lot of dark red leather tub chairs).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Every guest who stays at The Glenmoriston Town House is special to us and your review means a great deal to us all – thank you so much. With all good wishes, Jonathan

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Our room looked out over the river and was more than adequate.The highlight of the stay was dinner at their restaurant Abstract. The food, and service, was much more than I expected from a small hotel. With over 200 bottles of whisky to choose from I was in heaven. Our only complaint was with breakfast. Our receipt when we checked in had the breakfast hours printed on the form, so we ate there the first two days. On the third day we sat down for breakfast, and after giving our room number, we were informed that our room rate didn't include the meal. At 17 pounds each our bill increased considerably. If you stay here be sure to clarify if your breakfast is included. The location of the hotel is excellent, and don't miss a walk to the islands in the middle of the River.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed June 26, 2014

As ever, I will review my stay at the hotel honestly and as I found it.
Location: Excellent location looking over the river Ness and a couple of minutes from the town centre
I arrived at the hotel and was booked in quickly by a friendly member of staff and directed to the annex section of the hotel. The room was clean however on the small side, which wasn't a problem to be honest, however I found the bed to be to small. I was staying on my own so didn't present a great issue but for two people would have been cramped. The lighting in the room was poor with only the light from two lamps. Getting drinks at the bar late was not a problem.
Breakfast, I have to say very poor: 1 Sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 Scone, I piece of black pudding (no beans). The guy serving was bordering on rude. One member of the group ordered Poached eggs on toast and gave up waiting and left.
I never moan unnecessarily however for £137 for one night is excessive

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kevnorth
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Where do I start to rave about this little hotel? Let's see...the staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone, at this hotel was friendly and service oriented and there wasn't any request that they didn't try hard to meet. Josh, at the front desk, was especially helpful and he even went so far as to pen a farewell letter to me since he was not working when I checked out, and he included 3 tea packets that he knew I especially liked! Now that is service! The breakfast is wonderful, with lots of variety.

I stayed in the deluxe king room in the new addition, just steps away from registration, the restaurant and the main building. The bed and bedding were great, it has a large closet (and they brought me extra hangers), the towels are great (the towel warmer is wonderful), and the shower was great with good water pressure and temperature and easy controls. The amenities include shampoo, body wash, soap, body lotion, shower cap, robe, ironing board and iron. There is no hair dryer or slippers, or cotton swabs or conditioner. There is also no tub. I had laundry done in a day and the service was fine.

The internet was fine and the TV worked great. The lighting in the room was fine.

This hotel is just on the River Ness. It is a little gem, not perfect, but the service is so good that I would stay here again in a minute. They made me feel welcomed and cared for. This staff could teach many of the 5-stars I stay in a thing or two about real service. Don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo