“Unfair reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Unfair reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't like reviews or write them but on this occasion I'm making an exception. I was booked into the Ramada Encore (business trip) however parking is non existent so I asked Expotel to find me a hotel with parking, that was my only requirement! They found Glenmoriston for me and I immediately did a search for the postcode. The first search to come back was a negative review, not just negative but scathing. Therefore I was more than pleasantly surprised by what I found when I checked in. I'm a big girl I can carry my own luggage - I wasn't at the Ritz and I could find my own room too! The room was delightful, natural sunlight flooding in to allow me to do my hair, if I do desired, bathrobes on offer, every facility I could want plus a lovely seating area to chill it if necessary. Yes business people look for wifi but sometimes, in fact most times, business people need to chill out and pack the laptop away for a while. Unless you have cockroaches climbing in the walls or strange men climbing into your room then stop writing stupid reviews to upset other people. Don't like it, find somewhere else or take it up with the manager. Honestly some people are so high maintenance the Queen couldn't please them.

Beautiful food, lovely mannered staff, my only complaint? some of the guests need to learn to say hello and straighten their faces! I said smiled twice at a man sitting outside and he ignored me. A smile is universal! Chill out, enjoy your trip and worry about something worth worrying about!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RozBonnar
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest, The team and I are so glad that you enjoyed your visit. Your wonderful review means a lot to us all and we send you our good wishes. Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

In trying to get accommodation in Inverness at the last minute we were a little limited on our choices. THis was one of the choices which was extremely excpensive compared to most the other places we stayed across Scotland (including Edinburgh during the festival!). While the room was cosy and comfortable it was nothing special. The walls were paper thin and we could hear everything on either side of us. On arriving we were asked to review the menus in our room so we could book in at one of the restaurants, as we weremissing a menu we called to have one sent to us as it was pooring with rain ...but we had to collect it ourselves (for what we were paying we thought it could have been delivered!). Having said that the food in the restaurant was very good and we enjoyed our meal in the bistro section (sorry can't remember the name of this one).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyndal M
St Andrews
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked into a single room and found myself in an Annexe to the main hotel. I had a ground floor room with very poor lighting (the person who designed it clearly hadn't thought about how one might see to do one's hair). There were no drawers for storage and only one bedside cabinet.The room as small and the shower room tiny. It was well decorated and clean but that was all that it had to recommend it. The wifi signal was non-existent (business travellers need wifi) and I the public areas where I could get a signal it was painfully slow. I was told on arrival the the code open the door to the Annexe would change on the second day of my stay - it didn't and so I found myself traipsing back to the hotel to check that out. I wasn't offered any help luggage and was given a set of instructions on how to get into the Annexe and locate my room. On the second evening I sat outside on the patio area for an hour and then in the bar for another hour, not a single person asked if I wanted to order anything but I did hear two members of staff discussing how busy they were. I had lunch and breakfast and the food is good and high quality. The bed was comfortable if somewhat small (fortunately I am only 5' 3' so I could stretch out in then bed someone taller would not be so lucky). For £124 per night I had hoped for more and certainly for a decent wifi signal.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SandraSStAndrews
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I like to thank you for your recent stay with us. Reading your review, we are quite disenchanted to learn of the multiple issues you encountered during your visit. Any member of our management team would have welcomed the opportunity to learn of these issues so they may have intervened to help overcome these. We strive to ensure that every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and are sincerely disappointed that we fell short of delivering our promise to you.

Please be assured that your valuable comments will be addressed with our team in order for us to focus on our continuous improvement efforts. We do hope that we are afforded another chance to regain your confidence in us if your travels should bring you back to Inverness.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
Hertfordshire, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

On the surface, and, indeed, when viewed from their the website, Glenmoriston Town House seems lovely; a great location, nice rooms; indeed all looks perfect. But be cautious; things are most definitely not as they appear. They might succeed in hooking the unwary with their pretty marketing hype, but the hotel simply does not reflect the story or come anywhere even close to justifying the outrageous prices; it’s almost although you have arrived at a different hotel.

Our so-called “club” room - marketed as 20 square metres, with sitting area, separate shower and river view ("a generously-sized bedroom space and a compact seating area for private dining or work") seemed ideal for a two night stay with my wife in Inverness.

In reality, it was in an annexe across the car park, was only just large enough to house the bed (forget the “sitting area”), had a huge, dreadful extension immediately below the window obscuring the “river view”, and, whilst it certainly had a separate shower, the “bathroom” was so small it could only just contain the shower unit; there was actually no bath at all. Even the shower itself could only muster up a trickle of tepid water.

There was no safe, the trouser press was completely inaccessible at the back of the wardrobe (so uncleaned also), and the “desk” was so narrow that even a small laptop could not be used - not that you would have wanted to - there was such a weak Wifi signal in the room that my wife’s iPad could not even see it, despite the hotel being advertised as fully Wifi enabled.

We were charged just under £200 per night (yes, TWO HUNDRED POUNDS!) for this miniscule accommodation. I checked online to see if this was correct (I had to use my phone as could not connect to the poor Wifi), and, despite their own website offering this class of room at a clearly still outrageous £150–odd, there was to be no chance of even one penny of their margin being allowed to slip away; they were completely disinterested, despite the obvious misrepresentation.

We heard similar complaints from other guests, and notice Trip Advisor reports reflecting exactly the same issues (See DANIELLA107 below - I will always read these more carefully in future!). This place seems to be in the market of hustling tourists; they simply don’t care about their guests, and clearly don’t expect returning trade, or how many people’s holidays they ruin. It’s simply about maximising profit.

We rejected the room outright as soon as we entered it (no help there either – just pointed to another building and told the PIN number to the un-manned entrance. We were required to carry our own cases up several flights of stairs. We spoke (several times) to the duty manager but his words were hollow and unconvincing. We finally spoke to the owner – he said he would “look into it” when I pointed out that this was clear and blatant misrepresentation – the room was quite clearly not as described, and the price quite clearly not as advertised. He promised to get back to me “in a couple of days”. We have, as expected, heard nothing.

My wife and I travel extensively and stay in hotels regularly all around the world. We have never experienced such blatant mis-selling of accommodation or lack of a response when speaking to the management. We paid the bill under (documented) protest – no chance of any form of reduction, of course – and left, liking our wounds.

I implore anyone to consider carefully before making a reservation at this establishment. You may well end up hugely dissatisfied, your trip ruined and very resentful of having been both deceived and, frankly, fleeced. This is not “mere puff”; it seems to us as deliberate mis-representation.

In summary, we implore you to avoid this hotel. Inverness has several truly lovely establishments to choose from that are well described, correctly priced, properly managed and a pleasure to frequent.

Glenmoriston Town House is, manifestly, not one of them.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank RoadsterMan
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am naturally very disappointed to see that we did not leave a good impression on you and that your stay here was not special journey that you had hoped it would be. Every day we are motivated by passion to deliver exceptional service experiences and create lasting and meaningful memories. Complacency is not really part of our vocabulary.

With your review being rather candid you can imagine that I have looked into it in great detail. We mostly act on the principle that “the customer is always right” but I am sorry that I cannot agree with your description of the room you were allocated. I do not think it is a fair one for the upgraded accommodation that you were assigned.

Regardless of the aforementioned, I fully understand that you did not leave with the memories you wanted to and that The Glenmoriston Town House, as a hotel, has disappointed you (which thankfully does not happen very often). If at all possible I would like the opportunity to change your opinion of the hotel and to liaise with you further. Please feel free to contact me at - reception@glenmoristontownhouse.com

Jonathan
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We paid 180 pounds for one night. In a tour of 14 nights, this was double than any other hotel.
And the least on the list. No lift, we had to carry our suitcases to second floor.
The room was tiny, had bad smell.
Open the window the view was the next wall.
Went to the bathroom to find a cubicle with shower.
Wifi had to be worked with them for half an hour.
The excuse is that they sit on the river bank.
Than they charge whatever comes up to their mind. What a bad bad bad experience.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor. Avoid it.
2 Thank DANIELLA107
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for the review of your stay with us. Considering the number of things you felt were deficient, any one of our managers including myself would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person while you were onsite so we could have addressed these concerns.

Our team takes great pride in our product and service execution and we are very disappointed that you perceived your stay so poorly. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and we will continue to work on improving our offerings.

We do hope that we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you back to The Glenmoriston Town House so we may restore your faith in our product and hospitality.

Kind regards,

Joanthan
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

...to the other rather scathing reviews as my stay was perfectly acceptable albeit well over-priced at £196 room only per night. Mind you, that's my only complaint. It wasn't worth that amount of money, but in general the staff in the restaurant were very pleasant, polite and helpful, particularly the two guys working the bar (one called Ewan). My room (detached from the main hotel building) was very comfortable and decorated tastefully with dual aspect windows; one overlooking the River Ness the other overlooking the main hotel building. Bathroom spacious enough and very clean. Bar was comfortable if a bit cramped but drinks / cocktails were made and presented well. Food in Contrast Restaurant was pretty good too. All in all a good independent hotel but couldn't help feeling a bit 'taken advantage of' regarding the price. I'd go back for sure, but only if the room rate were more realistic.

SG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

In the 'abstract' restaurant excellent and very nicely arranged food is being served, accompanied by good wines and of course rounded up by excellent whisky, whereof they have about 220 different ones, including some really rare experiences. We had a perfect stay at Inverness.