“Shame on them”

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
London, United Kingdom
“Shame on them”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We paid 180 pounds for one night. In a tour of 14 nights, this was double than any other hotel.
And the least on the list. No lift, we had to carry our suitcases to second floor.
The room was tiny, had bad smell.
Open the window the view was the next wall.
Went to the bathroom to find a cubicle with shower.
Wifi had to be worked with them for half an hour.
The excuse is that they sit on the river bank.
Than they charge whatever comes up to their mind. What a bad bad bad experience.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor. Avoid it.
2 Thank DANIELLA107
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for the review of your stay with us. Considering the number of things you felt were deficient, any one of our managers including myself would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person while you were onsite so we could have addressed these concerns.

Our team takes great pride in our product and service execution and we are very disappointed that you perceived your stay so poorly. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and we will continue to work on improving our offerings.

We do hope that we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you back to The Glenmoriston Town House so we may restore your faith in our product and hospitality.

Kind regards,

Joanthan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

...to the other rather scathing reviews as my stay was perfectly acceptable albeit well over-priced at £196 room only per night. Mind you, that's my only complaint. It wasn't worth that amount of money, but in general the staff in the restaurant were very pleasant, polite and helpful, particularly the two guys working the bar (one called Ewan). My room (detached from the main hotel building) was very comfortable and decorated tastefully with dual aspect windows; one overlooking the River Ness the other overlooking the main hotel building. Bathroom spacious enough and very clean. Bar was comfortable if a bit cramped but drinks / cocktails were made and presented well. Food in Contrast Restaurant was pretty good too. All in all a good independent hotel but couldn't help feeling a bit 'taken advantage of' regarding the price. I'd go back for sure, but only if the room rate were more realistic.

SG
Reviewed August 14, 2013

In the 'abstract' restaurant excellent and very nicely arranged food is being served, accompanied by good wines and of course rounded up by excellent whisky, whereof they have about 220 different ones, including some really rare experiences. We had a perfect stay at Inverness.

United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Whomever took the photos for the website deserves a star!!

Beware of the place that doesn't show a photo of the OUTSIDE, having seen this photo I would have said, "no thank you"!

This is a refurbished house-motel, with add-ons everywhere. It is not a Town House. It is not a Hotel. It is not 4 star if you are of American standards.

We arrived at 2 pm and were "greeted" by a grumpy twenty-something who ONLY said to us upon entering the "lobby"..."put your luggage in that room down the hall and come back after 4 pm, that's when check-in is'!!! Oh, then she interrupted us to ask if we wanted to reserve a table for dinner. NO and NO!!!

The room; It is clean. It has nicely appointed drapery and quilts and a small flat screen TV. It has a nice location.

The full size mattress - NOT a queen, nor a box spring included either, JUST a mattress - was fashioned over a few 4x4 boards on top of a wrought iron child's bed frame (my husband is 5'10" and his feet hung over the end!). THE most uncomfortable bed ever. The shower was a plastic walk-in shower that was too small for me (I'm 5'!). The walls were sloped and too imposing even for us. NONE of this was explained to us. The towels and robes shed all over us...imagine taking a shower and attempting to dry off only to be covered in lint! Had to take another shower. No face cloths either. Hmmm.

The room was above their piano-bar where few people visited, expect for the local drunks each night. They conveniently hung out until 4 AM talking and keeping us awake. Sure, there is security...except they are hanging out with the drunks.

We didn't give this nasty place any additional business or money.

Upon check-out, the nasty girls mother...chewing her toast and glaring at us with her bright red hair made a big deal when my husband asked for a receipt for the stay. Really? Receipts are customary.

Mind you, neither of these women welcomed us with a "hello", or "welcome". They certainly didn't ask how the stay was either.

Nasty to the core.

We were charged 144 BPS per night! What a rip-off!!!

When we returned I sent a copy of this review...never received a response. They know this place is not as advertised. Now, so do you!!!

Room Tip: Try the Best Western across the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AOneWorldTraveler
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Really must be better choices in Inverness. Room cost the equivalent of $300/night and we were told that a fan (which was included in some rooms due to no air conditioning) and face cloths were not part of our room. This was corrected when we spoke to the new person at the front desk the next morning but we had to sweat out the first night. Then they did not set our wake up calls as promised, nor did they arrange for the cab to pick us up at 8am as requested. To top it off when we were checking out we asked to have someone help us with our bags (we on the 3rd floor with no elevator). They pulled some kid out of the kitchen to help us, who we tipped, and then found out they added a charge for porter service!! all this a wallpaper pealing off the walls in the room! Cross this one off your lists!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Putter4459
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I read your review with great concern. I would very much like to liaise with you personally and if you will kindly allow me to may I please invite you to contact me directly on jon@adeoconsult.co.uk.

I hope to hear from you.

With all good wishes,

Jon
Aberdeen
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Check in was great considering we arrived at mid-day after being told the day before that our room probably wouldn't be ready until about 4o'clock but we could get changed in the toilets!! (We had a wedding at 2 and had driven quite a bit to get there) Room was a good size and very comfortable. Bar prices were a bit of a shock £4.75 for a pint of lager!! Breakfast was nice but again over priced at nearly £13. Location was lovely looking over the river but if not for the wedding probably wouldn't have stayed there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigredAberdeen
BHtlGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Glenmoriston Town House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
10 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your views. I am confident that our pricing is at the right price point and I am sorry that you felt that the the pint of Peroni lager was somewhat pricey, as I am sure you may be aware it is a premium lager and normally retails at over £5 per pint.

Please be assured that being complacent is the last thing on our minds.

With good wishes,

Jonathan
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The receptionist was nothing but helpful and pleasant anytime I had questions. The rooms are small but I don't mind it and I loved that my bathroom had a huge window letting in tons of natural light. The rooms are a bit dated but everything was functional. My only complaint is that housekeeping entered my room at 10am without even knocking and while she was opening the door, I kept yelling "excuse me, no!" but she was too preoccupied by something in the hall to hear me so she walked in on me. It wasn't a huge deal as I was decent and just hanging around but I didn't want to be disturbed and I could have easily been changing my clothes or something. It was very unprofessional and 10am isn't even that late where I would expect something like this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ADesai90024
Whilst it is never pleasant to read a review that shows that we have not achieved our goal of providing our guests with an exceptional experience I certainly want to look at it as an opportunity to improve.

I very much agree with your annoyance about the housekeeper accessing your room at 10am without knocking. I apologise for this error and have ensured that the team are clear on this.

I naturally do not want this to be your lasting memory of our hotel. When you plan your next visit to The Glenmoriston Town House I would be very happy to liaise with you personally.

Thanks,