“Attention to detail....1st class”

Bunchrew House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Attention to detail....1st class”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I recently stay there, as a stop off on my way to Wick. As the hotel is very centraal to a lot of key destinations, and only 5 mins drive from Inverness. The location is simply stunning, you have the grounds of the hotel to enjoy a walk, or you can walk along the waterside, either way, you'll enjoy it.If you are a keen photographer, this is the place to stay, the photo oppertunities are endless.The hotel itself is an old castle style hotel, the decor has been well thought out, and it has a really great "rustic" feel about it. The service from ALL the staff was 1st class, especially the 2 gents that greeted me as i arrived, as I arrived quite late on they quickly got me checked in and served me a much needed drink, before i sat down to dinner. Although they did this very quickly, not at any point did i feel as if i was being rushed, they were both very friendly and took the time to chat away with me. Unlike so many other places i have stayed at, where the staff get you checked in, as quick as they can and barely give you the time of day. The dinning room has a large bay window, where you can enjoy the views overlooking the water, while enjoying your meal. And you will enjoy your meal, because the food is to die for. All credit to the chefs, as that is some of the best food i've tasted in a long while. I have never stay here before this visit, but I guarantee, the next time i'm going to be staying in this area, I'll be staying in the Bunchrew.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
R J, General Manager at Bunchrew House Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Jh03ham18,

Thanks a million for such a great review - It really gives us a spring in our step when your stay comes together so well. Extra-large gin for you on the next visit! From memory I think by the time you arrived with us you thoroughly deserved it!

We look forward to seeing you next time you are up and thanks again for leaving such lovely feedback.

Roddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed here during our visit to Europe and it was definitely a highlight! The whole house is beautiful!!! We stayed in the Wyvis suite and were blown away by how beautiful it was. The bed was this huge thing that needed a step to get into it and the view out of our windows would have been much better if it wasn’t raining but impressive all the same (what’s a Scottish holiday without some rain). The food offered in the restaurant was delicious and I think I had some of the best mussels I’ve ever had here! I would defiantly recommend a stay here if you are venturing into the Scottish highlands and would return in a heartbeat if I return to Scotland!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kartia123,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We are so pleased we made your holiday memorable - especially when you had come such a long way.

When you make the return trip be sure to look us up - we'd love to have you back.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We choose this venue for our wedding in April 2013. Can't fault it at all!!

In organizing the staff were extremely helpful, friendly, insightful and patient. Nothing was to much and never felt we were being a nuisance.

I stayed the night before with some friends and the meal in the restaurant was fabulous, great local produce with friendly service. The small bar was lovely and friendly and the staff ensure that we were served when we needed our glasses refilled but didn't crowd us.

Breakfast was fabulous on the day of the wedding, great selection and as we requested. The coffee was well received, in fact several of my friends said it was the best they have tasted in a long time!!

On the day of the wedding the staff within the hotel were extremely helpful and made sure everything went smoothly and without issue. No request or question was to much. Everything was laid out and organised for the ceremony without fuss, my guests all felt very welcome when arriving at the venue.

The staff made sure that we were where we needed to be, when we needed to be but we were not rushed or hassled.

The wedding breakfast was fabulous, all the guests thought the food was superb and complimented on it. We couldn't fault it, it was just as we'd envisioned.

We had a small reception within the bar area and the staff ensured that the seating was laid out so that our guests could easily socialize and dance. They also gave us a portable stereo so that we could play our own selection of music. Everything was as we wanted it.

I got ready for the wedding and we stayed in the Wyvis room that night. It was an amazing room, stunning, awe inspiring views from the windows and the bed was brilliant. Huge and comfy!!

The hotel is in a fabulous location and we loved it. All our guests loved it as well, there wasn't one thing that I could fault. Highly recommend this hotel for a romantic break or a wedding.

Truly memorable day at a truly memorable location. Faultless.

Room Tip: The Wyvis room is the room of choice for me!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank weeyin83
Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to have you all with us.

It cheers us especially to know you had such fun on such an important day. Bunchrew will always be a part of your life know and we are honoured that you chose to come to us.

Wyvis is here for you and Scott when you are ready! We'd love to have you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

a lovely pink country house hotel with first class dining and staff on the tranquil shores of the moray firth.I really enjoyed my stay and the sense of history that the hotel embodies.Did not see resident Ghost perhaps the peace and quiet meant everybody got a good night sleep

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jame m
R J, Resident Ghost at Bunchrew House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Jame M,

Thank you so much for such an overwhelmingly positive review!

We try to do the best we can for everyone who comes through our doors so it's great to get nice reviews - thank you for posting this
I'm so sorry I never visited you when you were here (deputy ghosts can never be trusted). Rest assured I am on the prowl tonight!

Isobel
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you enjoy stepping back in time to 1986 when this hotel was opened by Malcolm Rifkind the then Scottish Minister then this place is for you. No decoration since this time is traceable as evidenced by our bedroom which was very dingy with a badly worn carpet, dark furniture chipped everywhere and a bathroom from the era where the bath tap had become loose making it difficult to operate.
The food was nouvelle cuisine which was a shock as it didn't go with ancient surroundings. Quality was excellent but portion sizes so small that a number of overseas guests were seen to ask for more vegetables. If I was in the centre of London the prices would have seemed reasonable but not in this location.
Staff were very pleasant.
This Hotel obviously suits a number of people judging by many of the reviews, but for us it fell well short of the standard set by most of the Hotels we normally stay at and for a lot less money.

2 Thank Trusler
R J, General Manager at Bunchrew House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Trusler,

Many thanks for your review of Bunchrew House.

We are saddened to hear that your experience of our decor was not up to your expectation. I'd be delighted to talk to you in person about this as we can use your comments to help focus our rolling refurbishment program. You'd be most welcome to call me on 01463 234917 so we can act on this.

So many people love the waterside location and the comfort of the hotel it saddens us that you didn't enjoy this and would love to put this right.

Our Chef has been putting out some great food this summer and many people have passed comment on how good it was. It seems on this occasion we could have provided a little more. We try to make sure that meals are nicely balanced for all palates and appetites to make sure that everyone loves their dinner.

We will take you comments on board about size to make sure that this is not the case in future as the feedback we get is overwhelmingly positive.

Thank you for mentioning the hospitality of the staff. We pride ourselves in our friendly and natural welcome that so many enjoy. We hope that you'll return to Bunchrew and see a few changes based on your comments too.

Kind regards,
Roddy Jamieson
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stopped just one night, but felt we would have enjoyed staying longer, if we hadn't have been heading further north. The staff were all very welcoming, chatty and pleasant. The hotel had a comfortable country feel it and traditional Scottishness about it. We had a good nights sleep, a tasty breakfast and romantic dinner, with red roses on the table and a sunset view across the loch. The dinner was a little highly priced for what we had, however it saved us having to drive back into Inverness and allowed us the pleasure of having a drink and relaxing.

Room Tip: We booked our room through late rooms.com and got a good rate.
northamptonshire
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We attended a wedding at in was wonderful.
The staff are outstanding, the setting wonderful. The food superb what more could we wish for.
This is an excellent wedding venue or quiet getaway hotel and we would return if in the area.