All reviews junior suite loch ness garden cottage a separate sitting room the cottages cheese board beautiful hotel the main house venison scones four poster bed caledonian canal enjoyable stay stayed one night stayed longer tea and coffee lovely room
Reviewed February 12, 2017 via mobile

Stopped off overnight here and what a magical place it is. After an 11-hour journey I was pleased to be welcomed by very friendly staff and fantastic food. The building is magnificent! Wish I was staying a bit longer. I will definitely return. Thank you.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank FoodLoverHythe
Reviewed February 10, 2017

Visited yesterday with friends and had the three course lunch menu. Limited choice of courses but excellent food, I had the partridge as a starter and venison as the main course, beautifully cooked and well presented. The desert took a little while to be served as it appeared that staff were busy with a funeral tea, and appeared slightly frozen on arrival. The staff were excellent and very attentive and polite.
Overall a very good experience which I will be doing again soon. Thank you to all the staff there.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2017 via mobile

This trip was bought for my wife and I to celebrate my birthday. A weekend in the Highlands. There were four of us in our party and from the moment we arrived to the minute we left the hotel was a delight. John, who greeted us on reception (apart from his many other duties) was a joy. We checked in and started our weekend with a delightful afternoon tea.

We checked into our rooms and both were comfortable, well furnished and delightfully warm and cosy. Once we had settled and unpacked we explored Inverness before returning for a delightful dinner. We all had a very good experience with the food, dinner and breakfast. The chef has done a great job.

We stayed for two nights and I have to say I would recommend this hotel. We loved it.

To be honest and fair I must highlight a couple of areas that I hope get better as the season progresses. We felt that they might be understaffed as the only meat dish (Venison) was the same both nights. I had to ask to be served a dessert on the second evening and I had to find someone to serve us breakfast on our second and last morning. I twice asked that my safe be unlocked as it was closed on our arrival, nothing happened!

I must reiterate these were tiny things that did not spoil our stay. I suspect when they are fully staffed in the season that the service would be spot on.

We plan to return!

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2017

We wanted to treat our friends to a weekend in the Highlands and my wife found this Hotel on the internet. The Hotel website made it look appealing and we booked an off season package of two rooms, breakfast, discounted evening meals for four and a complimentary afternoon tea for four. We had two executive double bedrooms.
The location of this Hotel is ideal being just a short distance out of Inverness off the A82 backing on to the Caledonian Canal and a very short distance away from Loch Ness. It is set in beautiful country surroundings with ample car parking close to the Hotel entrance. When we arrived on the first day we were greeted by friendly staff and enjoyed the most wonderful afternoon tea with fresh scones and pastries. After tea we checked into our rooms which had just been given a face lift for the new season. We weee more than happy with the rooms which provided a superb bed, tea/coffee making facilities, shortbread biscuits, fridge, and complimentary still and sparkling water. As well as a large tv in the bedroom a second smaller adjoining room provide a second tv with a sofa that could be turned into a second bed if necessary. The bathroom was fitted out with bath, shower, toilet, bidet and wash basin with complimentary shampoo etc. I don't think I have ever been to an Hotel which provided as much storage space as this room did. The room was a large ground floor room with views to the lush green gardens. We slept very well on the large bed and were totally satisfied with everything it provided.
We took our pre dinner drinks in a lovely lounge where a lot fire had been lit for us. We then went to the dining room for our first evening meal which was exceptional. The menu was not vast but in the three or four selections for the various courses there was something to please every palate. Presentation was 10/10 and the portions were perfect. We were not rushed and service by the staff was very friendly and of a very good standard. See photos for examples. The ambience of the dining room was lovely with fresh flowers on the table and candles. Music was played at the right volume to enhance the experience without being so loud as to make conversation difficult.
The following morning at breakfast fruit juices, cereals and coissants were buffet style and hot food was ordered and delivered to our table. The full Scottish breakfast was excellent but so were the alternatives. After a full day out exploring we again ate in the Hotel to find that the menu was the same as the previous night. When we enquirer why this was we were informed that the Hotel had only just recently re-opened and the the kitchen staff were new and were just getting the kitchen/restaurant up and running again for the new season. This didn't bother us as the food had been so good the night before. We again enjoyed a hearty meal even if some of the choices we had were repeated. Againthe service was good but the Hotel was busier on the Saturday night having had several functions on throughout the day. In short We highly recommend this Hotel and give five stars to the staff for their service and friendliness.

Room Tip: All rooms would be considered quiet but rooms to the rear would have the better views of the landscaped gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank macksennett
Reviewed January 23, 2017

Stopped off here quite by chance after chartering a boat out of Inverness.
This grand old house is set in the most-beautiful countryside imaginable, nestled as it is at the base of the hills. In character, it’s like something out of the set of an Agatha Christie novel, and you could quite-easily imagine Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple snooping around and subtly interrogating aristocratic guests after the dastardly deed had been committed.
We sat on the patio to begin with and then, drinks finished, we adjourned 20 minutes later to the Drawing Room. It’s all archetypal tall ceilings, lovely old Victorian mouldings, intricate cornices and ceiling roses, architraves and panelling and high skirting boards too, and huge elegant wide bay windows... the ensemble typical of that found in a grand old country house. There was also a big chandelier, huge stone fireplace, a subtle colour scheme, ornate gilt-framed old oil paintings hung variously around the walls, chunky oaken tables and elegant furniture in abundance. We had drinks on big stylish comfortable striped red-and-white upholstered sofas beside the roaring fire. Its room was complete with a couple of very-friendly dogs stretched out full length and lounging in front of it. The pair were sleepily enjoying its flames and their heat as they lay in front of the hearth under the huge mirror above the fireplace.

The restaurant was first-class, the cuisine representing the very best of what Scotland had to offer, and there was a gloriously extensive menu, My amore had a delicious fillet of locally-caught salmon accompanied by dill sauce, and a quite-delicious complementary range of steamed vegetables, and I had an absolutely-superb piece of Scottish beef accompanied with haggis and black pudding, and we washed the delicious food down with a quite-delightful house white

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple