“Good curry, good service, good location.”
Review of Spice Tandoori - CLOSED

Spice Tandoori
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Spice tandoori Inverness is under new management as of 01/10/2011.we are child friendly,excellent location by the famous river ness in the heart of Inverness which affords us some stunning view that no other indian restaurant can come close to.So if it's small to large parties we can do the lot.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were enticed in by the smart looking entrance and the menu which looked reasonably priced. Inside was very smart with the waiters well dressed in black and white with waistcoats. The tables were well laid out with plenty of room, intimacy, comfy chairs, and a great view over the river and the city streets. We had dressed smart casual, shirts and clean jeans, shoes rather than trainers, and the other diners were dressed similar. The food was fine. Not the best I've had but very tasty. There were some specials on the menu I'd not heard of before. I ordered peshwari naan to go with my biriana and what arrived looked more like paratha, but tasted like peshwari, so pretty much a peshwari paratha. Very tasty. The usual selection of drinks, we had Cobra of course. We didn't have dessert having seen the menu which was the pre-packaged flavoured ice-cream.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Food was all freshly cooked and tasted really fantastic.staff were really great and happy to help.we will be back.has stunning views overlooking the river a great location!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The place had a minimal but professional looking interior design, with mirrored walls as you walk from the entrance up the staircase to the main restaurant. For our late lunch, we were greeted at the top by a couple of friendly, suited waitors, who showed us to our table. It certainly looked the part, with southern asia themed paintings on the walls and related music playing, setting the mood well. The scenic view of the river ness and surrounding area from our table, was also a big plus, all lit up, of which im sure many tourists would enjoy. After selecting a drink and our choice of food from the main menu, we were asked if we would like some poppadoms, and they arrived with an arrangement of sauces to try, followed by our starters. It was all as expected, and very good.
Our main meals arrived quickly after we had finished too, and were well presented on our plates. My rice was cooked although questionably not hot throughout, but the rest of the meal was, as it was seperate from the rice, if tasting a little burnt. Being familiar with the meals main content (king prawn and mushroom), I put this down to sitting too long in the kitchen on the same hotplate that it arrived at our table on. Slightly disappointing was the restaurants use of one familiar sauce that my meal was accompanied with at the side of my plate, and therefore not sticking to a true asian theme for all of its ingredients (tomato ketchup), but the biggest letdown of all at the time was that it wasnt spicy at all-as it was stated as 'hot' on the menu, and that the prawns were chewy. I trusted the restaurant, continued to eat, and assumed they were simply overcooked.

How wrong I was. After leaving, around 4 hours later at home, I was being sick. Whilst my sickness didnt last more than an hour until the meal was out of my system (drinking a lot of water helped), I still felt uncomfortable the rest of the night. I was much better the next day, so an obvious case of food poisoning. This meal was the most I had eaten that day, so it would seem the seafood was either stored incorrectly and overcooked, or the kitchen staff were reheating food. Either situation with prawns, mushrooms and rice-not a great combination for good health. I eat seafood alot, and have no known allergies to any food. I have only ever had one other case of food poisoning in my life (an indian restaurant in 2010 with another king prawn dish-not likely to be a mere coincidence, of which the managers excuse at the time was indeed an 'allergic reaction' to cover up their mistake). I know seafood can be easy to spoil, but with the prawns being chewy and rice not piping hot, strongly suggested the chef was simply reheating in order to serve quickly.
If I was not ill, I would have stated the Spiced Tandoori restaurant was good but not great (3 out of 5), and pricey considering my own main meal portion size. The cost for two people (2 initial drinks with 2 starter, plus 2 main with one bottle of budget wine=just over £50). The staff were attentive throughout, asking if everything was ok, although admittedly this may have been because there were so few customers in at the time, with only two other tables in use. I didnt feel rushed into finishing my meal. My relation enjoyed their night and found no problem with their non-seafood related meal, but unfortunately I would not visit again due to my own experience.

1  Thank alexandr30
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very friendly and professional staff, great and delicious curry. Good choice of meals and desserts. Definitely will come back there.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

After having lost all hope of finding any life in Inverness on 25.12.12 , we finally landed here, we were told the restaurant was open that day just for the sake of tourists! Thank god!
We ordered way any Non vegetarian Indian would order: chicken tikka masala but to our greatest relief we were told by some other Bangladeshi person who waited on tables that we will oit like it, he himself came to check with us, even though the dish was prepared he changed it for us.he made me try it and I agreed it was sweet for the Indian palette! We were very thankful indeed!