Review Highlights
Absolutely Fabulous

My husband and I took a 2 day Outlander tour with John Lyons. He was extremely knowledgeable of... read more

Reviewed yesterday
sminfl1127
Las Vegas, Nevada
via mobile
The Scotish highland with a true Scotsman,Scott Guthrie. Kilt and all.

We toured the highland from Edinburgh to Inverness, to Skye, to Glasgow and every imaginable... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Mitch S

All reviews george munro outlander tour culloden battlefield scottish history his knowledge isle of skye beauly priory loch ness castle leod tv series outlander fan took pictures glen ord bronze age standing stones private tour highlight of our trip
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I was leading an inaugural study abroad trip for my department. We had a group of 16 students, plus my family my husband and I and our two children (ages 2 and 3). Because of my children we were not able to participating if most highlands bus tours. I contacted tony about two weeks (possibly less) before we wanted to do the tour and he was able to arrange a coach for our group.

George lead out tour and it was great. So nice to have a tour guide who knows and LOVES the area he is showing you. We heard lots of great history and personal details. It was GREAT!

The kids were fine on the bus for the whole day, of course the stops every hour or so certainly helped (I was pretty sure our kids would be). The only challenge with our kids was the hike of Glen Afric. Our 4 year old son who is very energetic and loves to run made it about 1/2 mile to a mile . . . our daughter, then just over 2, was carried the whole time, and they both ended up on our shoulders for the second half of the hike. I would say an adventerous energetic 5 year old could handle it, younger kids might want to just hang out at the bus/car.

1  Thank Prof_D711
TonyLochNess, Owner at Inverness Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

I am so glad your group was pleased with the tour as the prime objective was for your students to get the maximum out of the visit. As you say, this particular tour and its nature walks is maybe not best suited to your own 3 & 4 year old toddlers, but I bet they slept well!

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Many thanks to Tony for a tour of the highlands and the Isle of Skye which he personalized to suit this family's interests. We're sure that he ordered up a day of spectacular weather, too! Tony's knowledge of the areas we visited was amazing. His narrations and discussions with us were in-depth and very informative. If we return to Inverness, we would not hesitate to use this company again.

1  Thank dustypots
TonyLochNess, Owner at Inverness Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Looking through the photographs you sent me I can't believe we fitted so much in to the day. Building Clava and Corrimony into our Skye tour is not the normal itinerary. So glad you enjoyed the day and that it has left really good memories. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We traveled around Inverness and were able to go up into the more highland looking areas. I very much enjoyed George and Tony and the stories and history they laid out for us. I believe we were with them most of the day. We stopped to eat in a quaint little place. We also went on a boat tour. They were flexible and gave us the option of walking in certain areas as opposed to riding. I was able to feed a live bird out of my hand--I felt just like Snow White or someone from a fairytale! They were intelligent and funny tour guides creating a fabulous experience! The best thing about this tour is that you are able to experience and see things that if you are alone, or with other tours, you may just drive by. There was a cemetery in the middle of the woods which was incredible and we almost drove by it, but Tony and George saw it and we stopped.

Definitely get lots of rest the night before! I was tired from traveling and the motion of the car put me to sleep at times which I was so upset about because I wanted to hear all of the stories.
Wear walking shoes (waterproof are best esp in springtime) and layers. (In March UnderArmor was a brilliant idea!)
I used my camera a lot this day!
I also had a backpack/purse that carried a notebook if I wanted to write down anything they said, and snacks/water.

2  Thank AKDahl
TonyLochNess, Owner at Inverness Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

What a great review! Thank you. I loved the image of George tucking into his lunch. I'm sure he has hollow legs. The cemetery we visited was that of Clan Chisholm in Strathglass and you were feeding the birds in Glen Affric. The man with the boat for your personal Loch Ness cruise was Gordon Menzies.. Once again thank you for the review and the photographs.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

First of all, a big THANK YOU to Tony and Hugh for letting me re-schedule when our flights got cancelled due to the volcano.

I would highly recommend Inverness Day Tours to anyone interested in a fun, informative tour. Our party took the Diana Gabaldon tour with Hugh and all agreed that it was the best day out of 3 weeks (despite the weather). Hugh is an extremely talented story teller and made the day fun with his stories, local knowledge, and contacts. My son was along, and even though he hasn't read any of the books, he thouroughly enjoyed himself. Hugh let him try his sword and shield (see photo) and this is one photo the ladies at the nursing home where we work will really enjoy. When we go back next year, we plan on taking more tours with Hugh.

4  Thank hiimjude62

We always do our very best to reschedule. Tried to stop the volcano, but weren't able to get the bung in in time! Glad you enjoyed your tour and thanks so much for the great review.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

My wife and I had a most delightful and informative tour with George at the end of September from our hotel pickup in Inverness into the Highland areas of Black Isle and Beauly and Dalmore Distillery. It was a very relaxing and comfortable tour and we learned a lot from George and enjoyed his company throughout.
JRT

TonyLochNess, Owner at Inverness Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2010

Thanks for that great review of George's guiding. I wonder if it is any coincidence that he always gets five stars when there are distilleries in the itinerary!