“Excellent Tours with Hugh”

Inverness Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Discover the city of Inverness. Step back in time to understand the dynamic history and rich culture hidden our streets. Come on a journey and delve into our unique folklore, prophecies, curses and tales. Understand the stories behind Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Discover the true hidden stories of rebellions, the Jacobites, the Clans and our traditions.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We went on two tours with Hugh at the end of November. He adjusted the time of the tours to make the best of the daylight hours, so he picked us up for the first one at 0800 on Thursday morning. We did the Outlander Tour that day, and it was awesome! I've read all the books and have been dreaming of taking this tour for years. My husband hasn't read the books - neither has my 5-year-old son - but that didn't matter. Hugh was excellent!! He had some great stories about Diana and tied in much of what we saw to the books, but he also knew so much history and so many interesting facts that kept my boys interested. He got into a discussion about whiskey with my husband and ended up taking us to the Glen Ord distillery for a quick tasting at the end of the day. We got to take the personal tour of Castle Leod, and it was so worth it! The Earl was an extremely nice man with great stories about his family. While my husband and I listened to him, Hugh kept our son entertained, showing him things around the rooms, answering his questions, and letting him look at pictures on his iPad. The day was perfect, and it felt magical to walk in Claire's footsteps. I'd recommend to fans of the books that you read them again within a few months before going on the tour. It had been almost two years since I last read them (for the 4th time, I think), but I still had trouble remembering some of the people and places that Hugh brought up. Even so, it was still one of the best days ever that I will remember and talk about for years to come.

On Saturday we took the 2nd tour, which we actually changed at the last minute. Since it was raining and miserable at our original destination, Hugh gave us four options, and we decided to do the Isle of Skye Tour via Eilean Donan Castle. That was an excellent tour also! It was a lot of driving, which I thought would be quiet and maybe a little boring, but I was very wrong! Hugh had so many interesting stories to tell along the way and even stopped to let us all have a chance to feed a cute little pony with apples he bought just in case.

All of the places we went on both days were beautiful, and we had a great time! There wasn't a question Hugh couldn't answer - he has a wealth of knowledge about history, current events, plant life, animal life, people, movies, superstitions, the Outlander books, great souvenirs, and more! I highly recommend Inverness Tours! You will be so happy you chose them, and you'll have amazing memories to last a lifetime!

1  Thank OutlanderFan-Carrie

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I arranged this tour six months in advance with Hugh Allison by email who made the organising and booking of the tour easy and straight forward. The tour itself gave myself and my young family a greater appreciation of the Highland Clans, the geography of Scotland and the history that binds it all together. My 5 and 8 year old daughters thoroughly enjoyed Loch Ness and Castle Urquhart and were comfortable enough with Hugh Allison to ask him a number of questions that were fielded with respect. I can not thank Hugh and Inverness Day Tours enough for making our stay in Inverness the best it could possibly have been. I would recommend Hugh to anyone who wants to see the real Scotland.

1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This tour is very well organised to see all the best places of interest. The guides are well informed to tell you all you need to know about the places being visited. You get plenty of chances to take lots of pictures. Liked the personal stories they tell you to get a feel of what it's like to live here.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Hugh Allison is simply one of the very best guides ever!. Friendly, knowledgeable, timely - he provides a greater dimension to one travels resulting in a fantastic experience. I wholeheartedly recommend this firm for its tours and any custom tours you may wish to take. Simply the best.

1  Thank Angela J
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently did the Inverness Day Tour. What a fabulous day. I don't think we missed a thing. It was well organised down to the ferries. The grand tour of Mull, Oban and other places of interest was extensive and most enjoyable. My tour guide was great fun and very informative. We took lots of pictures and had a really great day.

Would highly recommend this tour to everyone.