“Great night !”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Never ate here because we were mostly here for the music . We had two days in Inverness and this was where we came to on both night . The band " Tweed " were outstanding and the beers on offer were also first class . This place is extremely popular with those of all ages both during the day and at night ( where it can get very very busy ) Great atmosphere , fantastic music and probably a hightlight of any visit to Inverness !

3  Thank scotia771

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We didnt eat here, just had drinks. The place was mobbed, and we were very lucky to get seats. We had a few drinks, and spent a great evening listening to a band called Tweed - very toe tapping and fun! I love the wooden tables lit with candles to add to the atmosphere. We will definetely come back here when next in Inverness.

3  Thank lovetravelling18
Reviewed April 6, 2014

...like most Scottish city bars it's stuck in a time warp, needs a good clean out and refurb to make it attractive to visitors. Make no mistake it's a grotty pub and the only outstanding feature was the well-kept Red Kite ale. If you're looking for comfort in a pub with pleasant surroundings look elsewhere in Inverness. Now, there's a challenge!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Hootananny (a Scottish word meaning "celebration" and/or party - most closely associated with Hogmanay) is touted as the ‘premier live Scottish music venue and pub in the Highlands’. I wouldn’t argue with that claim. It is very popular with a younger crowd than at other live music venues offering Scottish music in Inverness. It certainly has the most gigs. Music usually starts at around 9.00pm. There is something on every night of the week, unlike the competitor pubs. It can get very crowded and noisy. People go there more for the craic than to purely listen to the music. As I am more into listening to the music I find the noise and bustle a bit too much. I would probably be of a quite different mindset if I were younger.
They do food including some Scottish favourites such as Cullen Skink and Haggis, but the menu is mainly the typical pub food – fish and chips, steak and ale pie, roast breast of chicken etc. I have never eaten there but the stuff I saw other people eating looked fine. If you are in Inverness and you like live music it is practically impossible not to go and check out Hootananny.

1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I went to The Hoot with some friends on a Saturday night and although the bands playing were really good, the social aspect was kind of lost as it was really busy, (overcrowded to be honest). It took us ages to get served, and when we eventually were, our drinks were getting spilt everywhere as it was so crowded and people were constantly bumping into each other.

Aside from that the music was so load ya just couldn't speak to one another, so you kind of end up just standing there watching the bands (no room to dance either). So if your into going to music concerts then it will probably be your thing. The decor looks like it needs a lick of paint, also there was a constant smell of pee everywhere.

Overall we didn't stay long, not really my cup of tea, shame as I read so many good reviews.