“Truely, a lovely place”
Review of Fraser House

Fraser House
Ranked #61 of 232 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was a tad late arriving at the Fraser house, but nevertheless the hostess was still welcoming at my arrival. She even carried my luggage up stairs.

My room was a single with it's own bathroom. The room was clean, roomy and just really lovely. It had a desk by the window with a gorgeous view of the river.

Breakfast was traditional Scottish and was delicious, and cooked perfectly. You even had you choice of things, or you could just have it all. If you felt like it, you could also switch it up for porridge.

Unfortunately, events had me leaving Inverness earlier then anticipated. The hostess was gracious about it, and even refused extra money.

Really, it was the perfect place to stay in Inverness, I would recommend it to anyone.

They were really wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 24, 2012

There was plenty of parking on the road in front of the house. We were met by Jenny who was very warm and friendly and insisted on carrying my bag to our room, which was on the top floor. The compensation for the two story climb was a really pretty room with excellent views of the river. There was a well designed en-suite with an adequate electric shower. The kettle was accompanied by lots of coffee, tea, chocolate and Horlicks, as well as some chocolate chip biscuits. The whole house was very clean, looked recently redecorated and well kept. In the morning there was a great Scottish breakfast and lots of advice for places to visit. The price (July 2012) was £65 and the top end for our three night trip, but really good value for money.
A note about dinning in Inverness. We found a very good and reasonable restaurant (The Kitchen) just down the road for lunch, but don't think you can find much food after 8.30 in the evening. We had to settle for a kebab.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bytchy
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We selected this from the Visit Scotland brochure on the day of arrival. We will stay here again when in the area as the proprietor was friendly and extremely helpful. Very reasonable and central.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ann2307
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Booked this place after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and wasn't disappointed one bit ! The owner Sandra was really sweet and helpful and even allowed me to keep my bags at her place the day I was checking out as my train was later that night. The place is very clean and well maintained. Though I had booked a single room it was very comfortable and the bathroom was once again very clean and nice.
The view from my room was awesome and it was great to wake up in the morning with the river right in front of me. Location wise the B&B is a just about 8-10 mins walk from the City centre as well as the bus / rail station so its very convenient to move to and fro. The walk around the river is fabulous and is a must do in INverness. PLenty of eating places close by so no worries on that front either.
Would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to INverness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river view if possible
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Shwe_n
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at Fraser House in Inverness with a friend for four nights as part of an independent travelers holiday to Scotland. The guest house is situated on the south bank of the River Ness in Huntley Street. It is approx. 15 minutes walk from the railway station and bus station. A footbridge crosses the river from the city and then turn right and the accommodation is a few yards on the left from the bridge. The room which I had was the top one and thus although ideal and compact, one had to remember not to hit ones head on the slating roof! Towels, liquid soap, tv, alarm clock, tea, coffee, horlicks, drinking chocolate all provided in the room. Breakfast was the normal choice of cereals but added porridge - cooked breakfast - adequate supplies of tea,coffee, toast etc.. This is ideal for a short stay as it was comfortable, affordable and adequate. Please note though the host does do have any credit card machine, so you will need to deal in cash.

Room Tip: The stairs are a little steep but the front rooms would have a River and City View.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ashurstdave
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed there about a month ago with my brother and my girlfriend on a roadtrip throughout the area. We called to book on the same day but said we would be arriving late in the evening and the lady held the room for us regardless.

The place was spacious and clean with comfortable beds, a great view of the river and in a wonderful location just 5 minute walk from the city center which was literally just crossing the river.

The lady who welcomed us was kind and serviceable and did not give us any fuss for leaving a few minutes after the check out time. Not that this was acceptable behaviour on our part but she definately won my review for that and everything else.

I'm definately staying here again.

Oh, and the English breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor to the right.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank gabriel m
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Price was reasonable, the location was absolutely phenomenal, and the river views out of our room were great. I loved Inverness, and I loved this B&B. I stayed here July 9-12 of 2011 with my wife and 3 children, and overall, I was quite impressed. Here are a few things I noticed:

In addition to being very updated and modern where it had to be, my room was spectacularly clean, and that is important to me. The bathroom was pristine, and the bedroom was meticulously taken care of every day, adding special touches like lining up the children's dolls that they sleep with on the bed and organizing things that they didn't have to. Beds were comfortable enough. I would give ours a 6 or 7 out of 10.

I was surprised by how much room there was. I've been in many B&Bs where our family of 5 was quite cramped, but the usage of bunk beds made it roomy enough to not drive each other crazy for the time we were in there.

Some of the other travelers mentioned no internet, but as of the time we got there, there was good wireless internet that was free and I never had any problems with. This may have been a new addition, and it was a welcome one. I didn't use it much (vacation!) but it was useful for those moments i wanted to check the bank account, etc.

The breakfast was very complete, and very good. For whatever reason, none of us cared for the sausage, and we weren't wild about the scrambled eggs, but these were small issues for a overall amazing breakfast that consisted of cereals, fresh fruit, potato cakes, tasty scones, good toast, and an assortment of juices or coffee.

The owners have a limited number of parking passes that they were able to hand out, and we were fortunate enough to get one. However, we didn't have one on the first night and we had no problem finding a spot out of the permit holders/pay area just about a half block up the street. I would say that if you are coming in during the evening time (like any good tourist) you should have no problem whether you have a pass or not.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family