“Kind Owner, Super-clean, Great Value for money”
Review of Melrose Villa

Melrose Villa
Ranked #203 of 229 Inverness B&B and Inns
Applecross, United Kingdom
“Kind Owner, Super-clean, Great Value for money”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I overnighted in Inverness after dental work and was feeling fragile when I arrived. The owner welcomed me, warmed up some soup and brought it upstairs, offering any further help I needed. Room was great value compared to others in the area, super-clean, and an additional small heater was provided, which one really appreciates in a place with central heating. The location means one is minutes walk away from the centre of town. Breakfast was delicious too

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Catherine S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed at the Melrose Villa for 3 nights on a business trip and I couldn't fault it for the money I paid. This was excellent value for money, the cheapest B&B I could find, in a great central location 5mins walk from the High Street and you get a lot for your money. Despite my room being small it had everything I required and was very clean, tidy and quaintly decorated. The housekeeper does a marvellous job keeping the room clean and tidy and providing fresh towels every day. Kenny was a wonderful host, a very friendly, kind, generous and caring man and I would like to thank him for making my stay such a hassle free and enjoyable experience. The breakfast was very quick service and generous portions and indeed I would go as far to stay the cooked breakfast was cooked perfectly! Kenny is a very approachable man, and I felt if I had anything I required he would do everything he could to help and genuinely cared about his guests and them enjoying their stay. I would definitely recommend staying at the Melrose Villa to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David M
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I lived at Melrose Villa for two weeks while waiting for accommodation after starting a new job in Inverness and I am very happy with my stay. My room was very fresh and clean and was fitted with everything I required whilst living there. I found the owner, Kenny, to be very attentive, friendly and accommodating, providing genuine highland hospitality. I appreciated this as I was living entirely on my own in a new city.

The breakfast provided was excellent, with Kenny the owner asking me each day what I would like the following day, personalising my meal. This was a really lovely touch. I was made to feel very at home, and the various personal touches provided made me feel very welcome.

Melrose Villa is a very pleasant, fresh, clean, comfortable and affordable guest house and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good value, central stay in Inverness.

Room Tip: The room with the Jack Vettriano painting in the reviews is where I stayed and it's lovely!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Alexander M
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

It was interesting reading previous reviews and I can but guess that cultural issues come to the floor. Expecting a guest house or bed and breakfast, or even come to that a hotel to allow guests access pre-noon is almost unheard of in the UK - there is one hotel chain, with a bright purple logo, who do permit this for a price!

And now to Kenny's place.... Melrose Villa is a pleasant enough venue when visiting Inverness. It is quite well situated to the centre.

Kenny was out to the shops when I arrived, but he was charming and welcoming. The hallway was dimly lit, but the colour scheme added to the darkness - a lighter scheme might have made it feel lighter.

The room was adequate for my needs - no plasma, but what do you expect!? there was a thick duvet and additional covers plus a heater fan in my wardrobe.

Kenny did warn about the noisy shower room fan.

The breakfast was adequate - home made fruit salad - different fruits, pineapple, prunes, fruit juices, and although only there a week after one reviewer the cereals were not hand labelled, but in plastic containers each labelled with a properly typed identity of the contents. The coffee/tea was fine, as was the toast. The moose head and colour scheme of the dining room added to the darkness. But the house had a lived in atmosphere - there was no smell of either dogs or bleach!

I presume another recent reviewer was in room 3 as this was the only room below the staircase I found. It was an adequate size, unless you had an enormous amount of luggage.

All in all, whilst not a home from home, Melrose Villa provided me with a good night's sleep - until my neighbour let their mobile phone alarm bleep bleep bleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aberl00n
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

House and rooms were dirty, lock on the bedroom door was broken, dog hairs all over the carpets. Owner was unhelpful and rude. On a busy noisy road, difficult to get any sleep. A disgrace to Scotland!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Colleen L
New Delhi
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I would never recommend this place to anyone. We arrived at 11.00 Am, in the morning and rang the bell 7 times. But no one opened the door. Suddenly at the 8th ring the owner came out and said that you can’t check in before 4.30pm. We were with our luggage. But he started a huge argument. When we arrived at the appointed time there was a list of do's and don'ts. The owner never switches on the lights of the staircase. The stairs and the rooms were dusty and dirty. The breakfast was most horrible. The packed were without any labs. The cereals provided were labeled with hand. The breakfast room had rooms nos mentioned on the tables for sitting. The TV was just a piece of computer monitor. Wi-fi was very bad. The rooms was located below the staircase. The bathroom was so small that you cannot even stretch your arms. No place to move around. We kept our luggage in the ground floor area as the rooms were so small that if we kept our luggages then we could not even turn around. There is no facility of heating in the rooms. The owner is not present in case of an emergency. A terrible experience. Will never recommend it to anyone. A worst experience of my life

Room Tip: Never go ther place. It is a very bad place . The owner is terrible with his own rules and regulatio...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SGoaP
Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Mr. McKay is the friendly host that welcomes you and takes care of the flowers in the garden.
At Melrose Villa you'll feel like a guest, rather than a customer. The furniture testifies the history of the house and, as in many of our homes, it happens that furnishings are dusty and there's a bit of mold in the shower.
Breakfast is good, even if only sweet, with toasts, jam, honey, cereals, juices, lots of fresh fruit, etc., everything well presented and not just drawn out of the fridge.
Here you are a less than 10 minutes walk away from the rail station.
Unless you prefer to stay in a sterile white-painted hotel room (or unless you want to pay some pound more to stay in a more charming place), book with confidence at Melrose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo