“Good place to stay!”

Ranked #203 of 229 Inverness B&B and Inns
Pordenone, Italy
“Good place to stay!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Mr. McKay is the friendly host that welcomes you and takes care of the flowers in the garden.
At Melrose Villa you'll feel like a guest, rather than a customer. The furniture testifies the history of the house and, as in many of our homes, it happens that furnishings are dusty and there's a bit of mold in the shower.
Breakfast is good, even if only sweet, with toasts, jam, honey, cereals, juices, lots of fresh fruit, etc., everything well presented and not just drawn out of the fridge.
Here you are a less than 10 minutes walk away from the rail station.
Unless you prefer to stay in a sterile white-painted hotel room (or unless you want to pay some pound more to stay in a more charming place), book with confidence at Melrose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Flavio1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I spent 1 night in Melrose Villa during a DIY rail tour of Scotland. Found the B&B on hotels.com. Mostly chosen for closeness to train station and price. Situated on a very busy main road. If a light sleeper, try to book a room at the back of the building. I would say it's ideal for someone on a short stop/ business trip. Decorated throughout in old-fashioned style but does have comfortable rooms all with free-view TV and ensuite facilities. My only real moan about this place was my initial meeting with the owner - although he was quite pleasant afterwards, I would not recommend arriving before allotted check-in time, unless you like an argument. My stop in Inverness was so brief, I cannot comment on what there is to do there, but Melrose Villa is a short walk from a Mall and transport links. From Inverness, I travelled down to Fort William by Citylink Bus for less than £5. A beautiful 2 hour journey down the length of Loch Ness on a sunny day. In July, Inverness does not get dark until very late at night (11pm).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was actually the first time my wife and I stayed at a B&B rather than a hotel in Scotland. Inverness was completely booked up and we were trying to find accommodations at the last minute on the internet. Found them on TripAdvisor and booked through Bookit.com. We showed up 30 minutes after booking online and the proprietor was waiting for us and knew our names. He showed us to our room on the third floor. It was quite small and difficult to move around the bed, but the bed was comfortable and everything was in working order. We had a rental car and had to park on the street. He warned us that it had to be moved in the morning, but that they had strict check-out times, so we would have to be gone anyway. There was a grocery about 2 blocks away and several restaurants within a few blocks. We missed breakfast as we were 30 minutes late and were pretty quickly ushered out the door. No problems and no fuss - but there seem to be thousands of B&Bs in and around Inverness, so I wonder if our stay might have been better somewhere else...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed May 25, 2013

stay was ok, and the bnb tender was friendly.
However, a curious smell in the whole house (smelled like toilet bleach) and at first annoying. Rooms and amenities are clean though. But still, smell and overall darkness of the house are not welcoming neither enjoyable. One of the windows was broken, and you could hear the noise in the street: earplugs!
Breakfast was ok, coffee as many other bnb is made of powder nescafe, that's a shame.
No discount for 2-days night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This B&B has strict check-in times. I arrived at 16:30 (on time) the owner was not present. 10 mins later he rolled up asking if I was waiting for him. I asked if he was the proprietor as he hadn't bothered to introduce himself. He shrugged off the fact he was late without apology simply saying he's usually there! Not true, read other reviews. The entrance vestibule was filthy, covered in scruffy hand-written notices barking do's and don't's at guests. The whole house is covered in such notices. The house smells of dogs, is very dusty and gloomy and the owner clearly has lost interest.
Although I had been led to believe from Eviivo website that a cooked breakfast was provided, I was informed that this had changed and I was asked to pay a hefty supplement (£8) for a cooked breakfast. I breakfasted elsewhere as I was put off by the obviously poor hygiene! I felt utterly misled by the 'Toprooms' description of this property and indeed my poorly rated review has been removed from their website! Disgraceful. All in all an utterly depressing experience and poor value even given the modest room rate. I couldn't wait to leave in the morning. This B&B owner is cynically exploiting unsuspecting guests and if I hadn't paid in advance, I would never have stayed at this location. The owner is as charmless and lugubrious as the property!
Please heed the low rated reviews, from my experience, they are the accurate ones!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jaime186338
Snow Lake, MB
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and found the place to be in a good location (short walk to downtown and to train station), have clean, quiet rooms, and serve an excellent Scottish breakfast. Kenny is a very friendly guy who makes you feel very welcome. The other guests were the real highlight and the breakfast conversations were quite engaging. If you want a genuine experience in a beautiful city, this is the place.

Room Tip: Single room was small, but perfect for a solo traveller.