Macdonald Drumossie Hotel
$131
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewslovely hotelseparate bath and showerattending a weddinglounge areadinner menugood sizeinverness areaculloden battlefieldleisure facilitiesenjoyable staylovely roomcomfortable roomssconesblack puddingcar parktea and coffeestayed for one night
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would've given this hotel 3 stars rather than 2 had it not been for the fact that we happened to stay one weekend when there was a wedding on. Apparently weddings are big business in the hotel, so do check before booking if there's one on when you want to stay - very likely, if you plan on staying over a weekend. If there is a wedding booked, avoid it like the plague! We were constantly woken during the night by loud and boisterous young wedding guests partying in the room opposite ours - and in the corridor outside our room - until the early hours. They only finally stopped when the night porter - harrassed at having to keep running up and downstairs to keep up with complaints about the noise - finally gave them an ultimatum (the duty manager's polite and wimpish, "Please keep the noise down" earlier in the night had predictably had no effect whatsoever. The hotel is clearly not geared up for dealing with weddings AND non-wedding guests at the same time. They should increase the number of night porters on duty on wedding nights and/or seriously consider separating wedding guests from non-wedding guests, or - failing that - not accept regular guests when they've got a wedding on. It's a recipe for disaster.

Aside from the wedding, we experienced the same problems that have been reported by other guests, and which one doesn't expect in a supposedly 4* hotel. First, there weren't enough sockets in the rooms (there was only 1 - possibly 2 - spare ones, but since these were just above the desk they couldn't accommodate an extra large plug that was a mobile fridge adapter, because the desk got in the way. Second, we needed the mobile fridge in the room because although the bedrooms have the standard hotel bedroom fridges, apparently none of them work - they simply haven't been activated! God knows why not - but, more importantly, there's nothing to tell you that they're not working, so you put your food into them, unsure whether or not they're working, and only find out an hour later that it's not been chilled. The lack of sockets is a serious design fault and a chain with the experience of Macdonalds ought to have got this right. Coupled with the fridge fiasco, it's decidely amateurish.

The restaurant, however, was very good. We ate dinner there and the quality of food was excellent - though it was pricey, as other guests have commented. The restaurant staff are excellent. Breakfast, too, was good. That is, it was good the first morning - the morning after the wedding - when, because the hotel was quite full with so many wedding guests, the full buffet spread was laid out for guests to help themselves, and cooked breakfasts were made to order. Very disappointingly, though, the following (Monday) morning, when there were far fewer guests in the hotel, they decided not to go to the trouble of laying out all the buffet, so nothing at all was laid out and we had to ask the waitress for absolutely everything. This was a huge disappointment because for us one of the pleasures of going to a nice hotel is to be able to browse over the breakfast items and linger over the meal, getting up to keep replenishing your plate with whatever takes your fancy - we choose hotels partly on the basis of the quality of the breakfast and the range of items in the buffet. Not only was this pleasure denied us - in the interests of saving the hotel staff time and effort, presumably, rather than meeting guests' needs - but it was also a very inefficient way of serving breakfast because there was one single waitress on duty to deal with about 4 tables and the poor young woman (excellent though she was) was rushed off her feet and couldn't keep up with demand. So we had to sit there waiting before she came to us and we could order the first items: fruit juice, cereal, grapefruit, etc. Then we had to wait for these to be brought, whereas, if we'd been allowed to serve ourselves from a buffet, we could have made a start on the fruit juice and cereal, etc. As it was, we were just sitting there ... waiting. And then she brought the cereal before the fruit juice, so we were waiting yet again before she could bring the fruit juice - such a lot of 'dead' time. If we hadn't had the benefit of seeing the full spread the morning before we wouldn't have known half of what was available to ask for!

This experience has definitely put us off staying at this hotel again. If there's a wedding on we wouldn't want to stay because of the noise, and if there isn't a wedding on there could potentially be so few people staying that the hotel doesn't bother going to the trouble of laying out the full breakfast buffet. All in all, it's difficult to imagine a set of circumstances that would make for a satisfactory stay.

My advice to anyone wanting to stay in Inverness - avoid the Drumossie and go for Premier Inn! All things considered, this is by far a better - and in most cases, much cheaper - option.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SmithersMidlands
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The best thing about the hotel was the evening menu as the fish selection was very good and was beautifully cooked. I had wild halibut which was superb and my husband was also very pleased with his meal. Our bedroom was large but the mattresses were poor, not of a standard one would expect in a four star hotel and I was left with bad backache and a poor nights sleep. Also, the lack of proper plugs in the room was a real pain as I kept having to charge my phone at reception. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return but management, please sort out the mattresses!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Have stayed here twice now and great quality hotel with fantastic food. We had a package DBB deal with a free cream tea thrown in which was a lovely surprise. Always my first choice in Inverness. Only gripe was the free WiFi is rubbish in the bedroom we were in but reception is great in the lounge area so no really a deal breaker for us. It meant we had a wee dram while we caught up on Facebook and Twitter before bed....!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I love this place. Gorgeous room (lucked out with the honeymoon suite as it was the last room available the night I showed up). Very comfortable bed, large tub to soak in, higher end toiletries, fluffy towels, beautiful view, staff who couldn't do enough to make the visit comfortable and happy. Excellent food, really excellent. Eggs perfectly poached each morning. Best mushroom risotto ever. It's not cheap, but still quite reasonable I felt. I was just making my way round Britain, finding accommodations as I went and tried four hotels in town that were booked full or wanted too much given their look (same rate, but overlooking garbage bins and alleyway). I decided to head out of town to see what I could find and I came across Drumossie by chance; stayed three nights in heaven, for about the same as I was quoted in town. Town is only a 5 min drive away if you want to spend time there or to find cheaper food. I love this place and if I ever get back to Scotland, I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon suite if you can; even if you are a single traveller like me.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ExplorerGrl72
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed overnight prior to business meeting the following day. Room was lovely, large and clean, staff were very pleasant and helpful.

We chose to dine out since we thought the dinner menu was rather pricey and limited in choice for one of our party. Discovered room service menu on our return and thought it a shame that the hotel did not offer this in another part of the hotel as an affordable option.

Breakfast was delicious as was lunch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business