“Fantastic restaurant, definately go back”

The Riverside Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 251 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a small family run restaurant along the River Ness. We are a family team with over 12 years experience in the hospitality trade. Our restaurant reflects our passion for excellent Scottish fayre. We offer lunches, high teas, early evening and a la carte meals with a selection to suit all tastes.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic restaurant, definately go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

Ate at the rivercafe after being recommended by our taxi driver! We arrived to a lovely warm welcome and we seated by the window( views are amazing).We had the scallops to start with as they are a favourite of mine, and they were lovely! Main course i had the venison with the haggis mash and my husband had the chicken from the specials board, both equally lovely, the venison so tender. I could go on and on how lovely the place is, you must try it when you go to Inverness as we will definately go back! Thought i must write thie review after reading the most awful one, as our night at the river cafe was amazing and don`t let it put you off going!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
U.K.
“We must have come on a bad day ???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Don't know why everyone else raves about this place and we didn't get it, no doubt my review will generate much rage among devotees - we came in here about 9pm one night last week. There were 2 waiting staff, one blonde and one dark-haired girl - the former was really snooty and supercilious with us and if it weren't for that we just needed to eat, we'd have left, also this place is highly-rated, and in our book, good food always takes precedence over difficult staff. ( The other waitress was lovely, btw. ) I ordered pork and black pudding, my partner haddock and black pudding risotto. Mine was no big shakes, it was dry and mediocre, and I was sick a few hours later. My other half's said his risotto was like a dog's dinner, that the different ingredients were indistinguishable from each other. He said it tasted okay, but he felt queasy later, and as result, we avoided black pudding for the rest of our visit to Scotland, as you always try to identify a common factor if you're both sick - maybe their b.p. was off ??? Very disappointed, had high hopes.

2 Thank DESERTBOOTS
benson6499, Owner at The Riverside Restaurant, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
I am very sorry and deeply disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience with us, had you had the courtesy to mention any of this when asked was everything okay then we would have done our uptmost to resolve any problem. I must state that I do take offence to your suggestion that we would serve anything that was, as you put it 'off', and can assure that, as we are a small establishment, we have everything delivered fresh daily. Please in future have the decency to give someone the chance to rectify themselves, rather than hiding behind a computer screen and writing damaging nonsense.
Pittsburgh, PA
“Excellent high tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

We had the High Tea here, which is a great deal for about 10 GBP. We got a rack of toast (and as another reviewer said, it was the best toast ever. Really big pieces and thick enough that you could stick your teeth into it but thin enough that the whole piece was one texture instead of being crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside). That was followed by a nice serving of salmon which was, and I mean this in a really good way, the fattiest piece of salmon I've ever had. It was so moist it practically melted in your mouth. That came with a salad and when they asked us what kind of dressings we wanted, I was sure they would just bring out some pre-packaged salad dressings. But no - out came two bottles of homemade dressings that they shook up and then we were free to put on as much or as little as we wanted. I had the lemon basil, which was excellent - very fresh and herby. The assortment of cakes was huge. The scones would have been even better if they had been warmed, but were also fine the way they were. I tried not to eat a lot of sweets, so only had a taste of everything else. They were all a bit sweet, but not overly so. All around, a great place for an early dinner.

London, United Kingdom
“My favorite restaurant in the U K !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

Well what can I say, food fantastic along with the wine nothing is too much bother for this restaurant, staff great and friendly, remember to book though its small but cosy, I had the salmon its was first class, you can always have a lighter meal if required also vegetarian meals on request. Would recommend this restaurant to all ages ?

5 Thank docabd
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

It has been 10 years since I was last at the River Cafe & Restaurant and had very good memories. My return visit was well overdue and lived up to the memory. Excellent setting on the banks of the Ness in Inverness. The starter was seared scallops with a smoked bacon, red onion and rocket salad with balsamic viegar dressing, superb, main course strips of tender steak with bacon in a red wine sauce presented in a filo pastry basket accompanied by a selection of seasonal vegetables, delicious. The desserts here have rightly acquired a reputation for excellence and the homemade gingerbread with butterscotch sauce and creamy vanilla ice cream was exquisite. My wife's roasted cod on a bed of Stornoway black pudding, followed by shortbread withe cream and strawberrys was equally good. Needless to say the staff were very attentive with a very good wine list, many available by the large or small glass or like the French pichon method. Very good value and Highly recommended. It won't be another 10 years until I return.