“Better than 3 but not quite good enough for 4”

The Riverside Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a small family run restaurant along the River Ness. We are a family team with over 12 years experience in the hospitality trade. Our restaurant reflects our passion for excellent Scottish fayre. We offer lunches, high teas, early evening and a la carte meals with a selection to suit all tastes.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I'd probably rate our experience as 3.5 but it just wasn't quite good enough for a 4. We dined on a lovely, sunny Sunday evening. There were two other couples and a Belgian family of 5, all tourists like us. I think the restaurant has a lot to be thankful for from Trip Advisor reviews, which is why I wanted to give a little more balance. Our starters, the scallops, were very tasty but the (free) bread and breadsticks offered beforehand were dire. Perhaps they were so stale because it was Sunday and no one had been baking that day. But in which case, serve nothing rather than stale leftovers. Our mains were mixed: the pork cutlets were plentiful but one was dry, the other succulent. My husband's steak was overcooked but he did ask for it 'medium well'. It's a challenge to get it cooked so there's no pink but without it becoming tough, and this was not a successful example. The desserts though were absolutely wonderful - coconut pannacotta with chargrilled pineapple and passion fruit sorbet was light and soft and tart and sweet all at the same time, whilst my husband thoroughly enjoyed his cranachan on a brandy snap basket. The service was very attentive and unobtrusive and the ambience was pleasant, looking out onto the river and the setting sun. I would enjoy dining there again but would perhaps select different mains - the fish for other diners looked wonderful.

1  Thank Ozzielass

Reviewed July 7, 2014

As most places are closed Sundays we chanced upon the Riverside Restaurant at 9pm. They were incredibly gracious with our late arrival and treated us warmly. The halibut was incredible, as was the beautiful presentation. Everything was fresh including the bread made on the premises. The staff could not have been more friendly and warm. We can recommend this establishment with no hesitation. We hope to return soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Came here for my mams birthday, food was lovely, and fresh, the wine was fab too! Staff were very good and polite, this is a fab wee restaurant will defo be back, service was excellent! Thank you.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had a delightful lunch here with our family from Norway, seafood enthusiasts! They had squid starters and a dish composed of two different kinds of fish which they all thought was brilliant-and Norwegians know their fish! The menu was interesting and varied with vegetarian options for people like me who don't eat things with faces. We were served promptly by courteous staff and I would have no hesitation in going back. It was very quiet when we visited, despite it being Saturday and I asked the staff about this-it was so good I couldn't believe people weren't queueing up to get in! One of the staff explained that due to the flood protection work going on outside the restaurant, that people seemed not be be looking just that tiny bit further along the riverbank thus overlooking this little gem.Worth a visit or ten!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The owners of our bed and breakfast recommended this restaurant and they were right to do so. The restaurant is small but the service from the waitress and indeed the chef/owner was first class.
My husband had a scallop starter which my husband said was the best ever. This was followed by mussels and a steak for myself and again, first class