Tripadvisor

Sat, 2/29
8:00 PM
Ranked #114 of 292 Restaurants in Inverness
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

We had a great time at Prime we had cocktails upstairs first and then a lovely meal downstairs in the restaurant. It was very busy and pre booking was a must.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (52)

Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

Ok for reference this is the 4th time my partner & I have been to prime. The other 3 visits were fantastic.

We booked well in advance & a few weeks later they called & let us know it’d be a set menu, then emailed it over.

We were disappointed with the set menu. Prime proudly advertises itself as a steak restaurant, no steak on the menu.

We made our choices & really in hindsight we should have just canceled.

Drinks -

The wine was nice, a large glass for £10. The two mocktails were ok, very sweet.

Starter -

I had seafood chowder. I couldn’t finish more than a quarter of it as it was very very salty, the seafood was very sad looking, and tasting. The server asked why I hadn’t finished it & I was honest. She just said they’d pass the feedback to the chef.

My partner had a pepper soup, fine, a little uninspired. Nice bread though.

Mains -

My partner had feta parcels that were just literally 200g of feta in filo pastry. Totally unbalanced.

I had beef brisket. The beef was really moist & well cooked. But besides a very small amount of mash & some kale, that was it. It was a totally one dimensional meal with no real flavour at all. Disappointing, but not inedible. Photo attached.

Desert -

(to be fair, at this point we were just keen to leave, so whatever came out we wouldn’t have been that excited)

My partner had an apple crumble. All apple mush & no crumble. She ate about half.

I had a large heavy sticky pudding with a quail egg sized ice cream scoop. The toffee sauce was great.

Christmas crackers -
Great quality crackers!

TDLR -
If there is a set menu on at prime, don’t go. It’ll definitely disappoint you.

The total for the meal was £115, definitely a lot more than it should have been given the quality of the meal. (£10 of this was a large glass of wine)

(If it’s any normal day, definitely go it’s normally great.)

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 30, 2019 via mobile

Visited this riverside restaurant and whilst we enjoyed our evening overall - there could be some improvements. We arrived around 10-15 minutes early and we were asked to go upstairs to the bar to wait for our table - we literally just sat down and ordered when we were told our table was ready so headed back down. We were seated next to a scalding radiator which meant we were unbearably hot for the duration of our meal - we asked for it to be turned down but it took around 40 mins to cool down, by which time we were finished. Whilst the service was good, the friendly waiter did have a habit of blaming everyone else for the numerous mistakes, ie wrong drink being delivered to the table, the card machine running out of paper and worse an overcharge of around £20 for two drinks we didn’t order. Food was very expensive for the quantity (perhaps we should have read previous reviews) so probably wouldn’t return as there are lots of other restaurants to choose from.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 28, 2019

A nice restaurant with a pleasant ambiance. The staff were attentive and helpful answering any questions.
The menu, particularly the starters, offered a really good choice of dishes making it difficult to know what to opt for. The food itself was very nice and could not be faulted. That said my starter (pigs cheek with haggis) came on a plate that had not been heated so the sauce accompanying the food was quite cold. The disappointment with the mains were that they did not come with potatoes or the like so had to be bought as an extra. I had chosen a chicken dish which at over £18 was pricey for what you got. There was not a lot of veg so I opted to splash out on potato meaning the main really cost nearer to £22.00.
I emphasise the food was nicely prepared and presented but was in my view overpriced.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 17, 2019

I took my family here back in January, I shared a Chateaubriand with my cousin while his fiancé chose another dish equally appetising. I’ve never had steak like this in my life nor where ever else I have travelled in the world. When someone says the meat just melts in your mouth!! Yeah it does and from here at Prime!
I simply can not describe the sensation, flavour and mouth watering richness that we had. I had to take my sister here at a later date. It has now become my favourite in Inverness. I will look forward to my next dining experience here.
Service was second to none, staff are really on the ball extremely attentive and they don’t wait till your mouth is full of food before they ask if everything is to your liking that is commendable as any diner will appreciate. I’ve actually observed their staff pause patiently before approaching a table.
Coming here to Prime will truly show you what dining out should be like.
For those that are interested in cost... they say “you get what you pay for” here you get more than what you pay for and if you can’t see that there’s a kebab shop in town.

Date of visit: March 2019