“A great lunch!”

Cuisines: Scottish, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I visited Loch Ness at the end of October and stopped here to get a view of the Loch. We decided to have lunch at the inn and we were very impressed with the food and the service. We had the curried root vegetable soup which was delicious and now I'm trying to find the recipe to make at home!! Highly recommend the Dores Inn!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,652)

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is the place to meet the locals...and all the mountain bikers stop here. I really enjoyed the food and met some very interesting people.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This pub is one of the seven wonders of the world. The food is always great 'pub grub', staff brilliant, amazing atmosphere, stunning views, and almost 50 ducks to share your lunch with ! No matter what time of the day or year you go, it is always busy.

We pop in on a Sunday, after walking in the area. Usually armed with 1 or 2 loaves of bread for the ducks. Sadly, they are not allowed in the bar, so we retire outside, regardless of the weather. Hoards of ducks shout at you, peck each other and stamp all over your walking boots - it is the highlight of my week !

Stay inside when the wind is quite strong though, unless you sit behind the perspex screens. The 1st time we went, we retired outside with a beer to see the views. It was mid December, and quite blustery. My friend turned round and opened his mouth to say something, and half his pint blew out of the glass, onto his face, and almost drowned him - funniest thing I ever saw !

This pub is a hidden gem, only enhanced by the husky dogs lying around the beer garden, from owners who have had a race or training that day. Go once, and you'll become hooked.

1  Thank Maria W
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Meal was let down by an awful pint of real ale. Crab starter was excellent.

I had a pork chop main which was good but would have been much improved by an apple sauce. The girlfriend had a lamb henry which was good, however, was the standard macro fare places serve up.

We had to sit in the far room which was empty while there were only a few people in the main room. This didn't do much to help the ambience of our meal.

You won't go far wrong with the Dores and there isn't anything better anywhere nearby.

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and i visited for lunch yesterday (3rd November) and we have dined here for lunch and dinner quite regularly over the past few years. Our general impression and experience has been good on every prior occasion. However, yesterday was somewhat different.
My wife ordered the Salmon main dish from the "specials" blackboard and for myself i chose the vegetarian bean "pie". The veggie bean pie was more like a 'bake' in its little dish. My Wife's Salmon came with some nice vegetables. The first mouthful of the fish appeared to taste "off" and smelled that way too. We mentioned this to staff and they apologised and offered a replacement which my wife declined as the vegetables were eaten.
The fish was checked by the chef and we were told it was OK and was fresh in yesterday. My wife was not convinced. Almost immediately after this, a couple on the next table to us complained that the Venison starter they had ordered was not cooked properly ! So Dores Inn, what is going on ? Had the chef been having an "off" day too ?
We were not charged for the meal i hasten to add.
Also, our table server, when asked about the 'guest' ales on offer, didn't know what these were ! Lucky i noticed the hand pumps when i first arrived .
Could do a lot better here i think Dores. Your normally good standard has slipped !

1  Thank ArcticExplorer51