“Beyond a joke”
Review of City Hostel

City Hostel
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The reception staff are abrupt and rude. Though I was told my card had been declined actually the card machine didn't work. The lock on the door to the bedroom didn't catch. The room was rammed with cheap bunk beds and an extra mattress on the floor for good measure. The duvet and pillows stank. Loud music and voices hammered through a thin wall. I was charged £2 for towel hire, and £2,50 for laundry and then told to do it myself but that I couldn't use it till after 9pm. When I did finally get to use it, the machine broke leaving my things floating about in filthy water. When I told the receptionist he looked at me as if I was stupid and said, "Just ring it out, it's washed isn't it?" (It should be noted he was in charge of doing the hostels washing). All the computers were broken. There was no hot water for a shower in the morning. The large, filth common room was completely miserable.

Arguably this place is in the so bad it's good category of thing. If you're like the masochist Bill Murray plays in Little Shop of Horrors, and deliberately want to stay in the worst Hostel ever then this place is quite entertaining.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Arriving in Inverness, I found all B&Bs seemed to be fully booked, so I went to this hostel. There were beds available, so I booked 2 nights @ £20 per night. I was handed a bundle of linen to make my bed and told which room I was in and the combination of the lock on the door (I didn't need it, as the door opened if you just pushed it). The room contained 5 or 6 bunk beds with rather worn mattresses and duvets.
Of the 3 washrooms on the floor, the taps produced only cold water, only one had a sink plug, in another the shower fitting was broken and in the third the toilet had its seat and lid broken off. Worst of all, there was no toilet paper! (There was in one on the second evening, but it was soon used up. Fortunately I had my own, being prepared for camping.) I had to pay an extra £2 for hire of a towel and £2 for breakfast. I had to move rooms for the second night. Both rooms were of mixed sexes.
The large common room was fairly conducive to social activity, with 2 pool tables and a selection of board games and books. There were kitchen facilities to store and prepare your own food. The staff were adequately helpful.
I suppose the hostel's best feature is its centrality, being close to the bus and rail stations, tourist information centre, shops, etc. Try to avoid this place if possible, but if you must go there, be sure to take your own loo roll!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Roderick T
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was taking a group of foreign tourists around Scotland, and wanted cheap accommodation whilst they stayed in a local B'n'B (very good). This place was rubbish. Really.

I booked a place in a 3-person dorm via hostelbookers about five days before I turned up. When I got there:
- we have no notice of your stay.
- 'Can you show a print off?' I said I didn't have one. So they said go online and show the booking (fair enough). After 5 minutes of trying to get online while they dealt with another person I said I couldn't get online. They then gave me another internet connection and told the next guest their internet was off.
- I showed them the booking. They said they had no space there. Not even that they had given it away by mistake; they had no space and i could take a place left in the 8-bed dorm. I saved 2 pounds. Wooh.
- I went up and there was no pillow. i came back down and told them. After a sarcastic joke that they didn't have pillows they sighed and went to get one.
- It is right above a karaoke bar. Great.

I had no problem with the guests, but The Highlander Hostel is a perfect example of how the word 'backpacker' is used by hostels that don't care. As a Scottish person I felt it was a miserable example of accommodation in my own country.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank djwills
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We are working up here and they had sent us to this hostel for 2 nights whilst our original hotel was fully booked. As soon as we walked into our bedroom it was a disgrace there was peoples socks left over in the bathroom, blood on the bed frames, bed's was full of stains, shower was disgusting. The 5 of us walked out and went to find anoyher b and b out of our own cost because it was that bad. Dont stay here its cleaner on the streets!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank phillip l
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hostel was the worst smelling place I have ever stayed. The uncleanliness is what struck me first. I stayed at the hostel with my husband, teenage daughter and her friend. When we arrived we were given a room with a bunk and two single beds. There were two rotten looking matters on the floor with holes. The stench in the room was unbearable and the windows would not open. There were work materials and discarded items on the upper wall. We decided to go to lunch and upon returning found two more mouldy mattresses in our room! We had booked two nights but decided to leave the next morning immediately. There were two girls cutting their hair in the bathroom sink and a man using drugs outside. Our room was previously used as a movie room. There are NO REFUNDS so be careful.

Room Tip: Ask to look at rooms before deciding to stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DelorisG4
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Do not ever book at the Highlander Hostel. It was dirty (window, floor, toilets) and smelted badly, each floor of the toilets was totally wet like after a flood. There was no toilet paper in any of them. No waste bin in the dorm. the bed linen are old, very used and should have been replaced for a long time. I hardly met backpackers there, I think most of the guest try to settle down in UK. I totally agree with all of the negative ratings. I payed 20£ a night which was not worth it at all and there is the policy that you do not get any refunds. The best thing is: Just 1 min away, there is the visitor centre who helps you to find a new accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not book there
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dun_bern
Reviewed May 17, 2013

when i phoned to book a room they took my payment that night - when i got my statement through i saw that they charged me when i checked in as well. i emailed them and was told they would investigate and get back to me which they never did! they are rude lying people and i would advise avoiding this place - unless you want to be charged twice with no reason!

the place was greasy, filthy and just horrible. you have to make your own beds and dont even bother using the filthy toilets let alone the showers.

horrible place and horrible SCAMMING people!

definitely use the other hostel because it is far nicer.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends