“Real value for the money”

Waverley Guest House
Ranked #219 of 232 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We live 65 miles west of Inverness and enjoy taking the train to see the opera twice a year. I'd made a reservation that turned out NOT to be in Inverness (a real senior moment) so at the last minute I was desperate. I went to Late Rooms and saw the Waverley at £60 a night, right near the railroad station, and thought, "How bad can it be for one night?" I read a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor, but they were old, so I took a chance Lucky me!!

Six months ago new management took over this guest house, and the place is immaculate. Yes, it's "basic," as in no frills. But we were only looking for a clean, comfortable place with a decent breakfast. We certainly got that! Angus is very solicitous and caring of his guests. (He also made us a fabulous breakfast!) Best of all, our room was QUIET, even though it's right in the middle of the city and 2 minutes from the train station. The only loud noise was the screaming of the seagulls, which is its own kind of lullaby.

During the "high season," Inverness, like most tourist attractions, can be quite expensive. If all you want is a comfortable, quiet place to spend the night, you'll NOT find a better deal. You'll be in the middle of the city, close to all of the local attractions as well as busses and trains. I recommend the Waverley without qualification.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, as ones facing the street may be exposed to nightlife noises.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel was excellent value for money, the room and most of the hotel appeared recently decorated, was very clean and had everything I expected for the price. All the furniture in the room appeared brand new.

I had opted for a room without an en-suite, the bathroom was just across the corridor and was spotlessly clean and recently retiled. My room was towards the back of the hotel, which meant it was relatively quiet; I suspect the rooms at the front may get a bit of street noise as there was a bar opposite.

The location was bang in the centre of Inverness a couple of minutes walk for the station. I have a continental breakfast included the in price, I could have paid more for a cooked breakfast, but the continental breakfast was suitable and sufficient.

Areas for improvement would include a chair or armchair in the room. I also found the shower a bit disappointing – not much pressure.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front may get noise for the pubs on the road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Paid in advance 2 days prior to stay with cash for room and breakfast. On way to room saw kitchen and couldn't believe the filth and smell - decided not to have breakfast after all. Even though we were a family, we were put in a room opposite a fire exit, which was used as the main entrance and exit after midnight. The fire door was constantly banging shut the whole night. so there was no possibility of getting any sleep. Double glazing was rubbish as noise from pubs and crowds below went on until about 5.00 am. At 4.30 am guests in rooms about put on ghetto blaster at full volume for half an hour. Foreign guests running rampage around the corridors banging doors till the early hours. I only managed 30 minutes sleep during the night and had a long drive ahead the next day. Room was dirty, pillows were dirty, bathroom was dirty. The only positive point was that there were plenty of toilet rolls. Left next morning without breakfast and was phoned an hour later by manager asking me to come back and pay. Did not believe me when I said I had paid in advance - luckily I had insisted on a receipt or I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. Can honestly say this was the worst night I have ever, every had. The entrance was quite deceiving as it didn't look too bad but the room was dreadful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Travellerwithbaggage
Reviewed September 6, 2009

If you're looking for all the comforts of home, this is not the place. If you're looking for a basic stopover with staff that will put themselves out for you, it is. You need a sleep sack and remember to ask how the heater works. The bed was comfortable; the tv and bathroom was small. We had the family room which worked for the two of us. When Slyvia found out we had to leave earlier than breakfast was scheduled, she got up early just to make breakfast for us. She helped us with the bags and made the stay special. Also, the chinese resturant on the first floor was excellent for dinner!

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank vacanow99
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Room wasn't cleaned in a whole week and no new towels were given in this time. The windowsill was covered in cigarette ends. The staff were very rude and wandering about in vests, I was shouted at by a female member of staff at one point (who did not address herself as staff so I had no idea who she was). Had to pay for breakfast even though I informed staff when I booked in that I would not be able to take it as i would be leaving before they started serving it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank thehotelinspector01
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Stayed in a clean double room, bed was a bit small but the room was tidy enough. Did not face the road so it was nice and quiet. Breakfast left a lot to be desired, it was pretty basic compared to the other breakfasts we had on our trip around Scotland.

Excellent location for the price however and our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Spent a plesant night here while touring Britain. Not quite as well appointed as other B&B’s we stayed at but the price was terrific! The people were friendly. A good choice for those on a budget.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple