“Couldn't be better; and I'm picky!”
Review of Oakwood Restaurant

Oakwood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Oakwood Restaurant is just 3 miles from Inverness on the Main A82 travelling towards Loch Ness, road side.Serving award winning Scottish food, Venison, Orkney Island Gold Beef, Hand dived scallops & Langoustine, along with chicken, lamb & a good vegetarian and vegan choices.
Reviewed November 17, 2009

By recommendation, on 14/11/09 my wife and I enjoyed one of the BEST meals we have ever had (North east corner table, 7p.m. reservation).

This charming small Restaurant/Post Office/Gift Shop is a 'hidden gem'. Great ambience (nothing posh), great food, no rush and very reasonably priced; some might even say cheap. ...don't be fooled 'though; you'll pay twice the price for half the quality elsewhere! Delighted to recommend.

This restaurant is NOT licensed however, you are encouraged to bring your own bottle/s and, there is NO 'corkage' charge.

Please don't rely on reviews from people who have no 'soul', or who have had a humour bypass !!!

P.S. I'm not easily pleased !
P.P.S. The 'Pea and Ham' soup is from a recipe your Mother would kill for !

Stuart Mackay
Queensferry, Edinburgh

2  Thank stumackay

Reviewed October 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I had driven up from Fife in hunt of the Lochness Monster.. however after some hunting we continued on the road up to Inverness hoping we would find somewhere to have lunch. We were not disappointed having stumbled upon the Oakwood.

It is a very eclectic mix with the post office in one corner and various articles for sale hanging from the ceiling. We were after a filling and warming lunch and opted for a jacket potato with beans and cheese(Lockerbie cheddar). This is an establishment that cares about where they sources their produce, and is evident from the menu which has a good selection of Scottish home cooked food.

We were served by Gus who has an interesting sense of humour but was very welcoming.

Our stop at the Oakwood made our trip round Loch Ness a memorable experience. If your after home cooked Scottish food you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank StNicholas50
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We were endlessly searching for a good restaurant in the lochness area. We came to this restaurant in Dochgarroch just because we saw it from the road (we were quite hungry). We were lucky to find it, because the food is really good here.
The orkney island roast beef was excellent. We drank sparkling water, but there was good choice of drinks. Service was very nice: Gus has a "Clint Eastwood" style.
50-60's music helped making a very nice atmosphere. Good value and quality. It deserves a visit!

1  Thank NoQuarter
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The Oakwood has quite a quirky atmosphere, with the shop's wares hanging from the celings and on the walls. The BYO policy on drink was great. The food was okay, but not particularly inspiring. I had mixed seafood in a cream sauce. The fish was all cooked okay, other than one piece of swordfish or tuna (I forget which, as it is a few months since I was there) which was very tough, but the sauce did nothing for the fish, being rather gloopy and tasting starchy. All in all, okay, but nothing to excite me. I would describe the food more as home cooking than restaurant cooking.

4  Thank Traveller001Scotland
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Going to Scotland, you must try the langostines I was told!. As it was not easy to find a restaurant in Inverness which had them we resorted to the internet. Oakwood came up and we enjoyed a very nice meal. The price was very reasonable and the quality of food excellent. The host was amusing and very knowledgeable.. This place is used a lot by locals which always tells you something about the good value and quality. I was surprised by the amount of good veggie and vegan food on offer. They really care about food at Oakwood.

1  Thank cathedralfan