“Bad service, overpriced.”

Oakwood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 258 Restaurants in Inverness
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Oakwood Restaurant is just 3 miles from Inverness on the Main A82 travelling towards Loch Ness, road side.Serving award winning Scottish food, Venison, Orkney Island Gold Beef, Hand dived scallops & Langoustine, along with chicken, lamb & a good vegetarian and vegan choices.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Bad service, overpriced.”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Owners were rude/unfriendly. despite buying a drink we were not allowed to use the toilet, ridiculous. Food overpriced.

• Visited October 2013
9 Thank u01yml0

Beauly, Inverness-shire
“Great food”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had a brilliant hamburger sandwich with some of the freshest bread I've ever eaten. One of my top ten hamburgers ever. Great menu with lots of information about the source of the food. Slightly quirky but well worth a visit.

1 Thank foodfan2
London, United Kingdom
“What a gem!!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Whilst visiting Inverness my friends and hosts promised me a trip to this restaurant as they had told me about it before I arrived. On arrival we were met by Gus (who has a gentle warm persona and lovely Orkney accent) and then we enjoyed one of the finest meals I personally had had for a very long time. You could taste the real freshness in the food which was prepared to perfection and all produce is locally sourced, which is a celebration for the taste buds!! I met the lady chef at the end of the evening and she was as lovely as what her food tasted like. This is a gentle casual atmospheric place with the local post office set up in the actual dining room, but I can assure you that it really is an experience of fine dining that you should not miss if you are in Inverness or the surrounding area.

Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
“Amazing food, great service”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

In terms of quality of food, this restaurant could compete with restaurants in New York City. I can't believe we ate like this in the Scottish highlands.

We stayed in Inverness for two nights, went in the early evening as a couple and had quick service with great recommendations from our waiter.

On the outside, this place doesn't look very special - I think it is titled "restaurant/gift-shop." Inside, it is decorated like a quirky old spinster's house. But it has an extremely warm and cozy atmosphere - not too loud, just right. The waiter is not too chatty but friendly. Plus - ingredients are local, with Scottish seafood and beef.

For starters, we had the field mushrooms with Greek olive oil and garlic and the Shetland scallops with bacon, white wine, parsley and garlic sauce. The scallops were tender and both of the sauces were so juicy and well-done, we used our bread to sop up the extra and eat the rest of it.

For entrees, we had the seafood platter and the Orkney Angus steak. The seafood platter had a delicate tarragon-infused white wine cream sauce and the steak was pure steak, big and juicy.

I absolutely loved the vegetable sides that came with our entree. I've never seen vegetable sides down this way: Each entree came with a generous plate of vegetables that was honestly a meal unto itself and mindfully placed together - a sweet caramelized purple onion half, curried carrot chunks, paprika-ed onions, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes and broccoli. I'm pretty sure if you are vegetarian, you won't be disappointed in their vegetarian (or vegan) options.

Dessert is very Scottish and not too sweet, but well-done. We had the bread pudding which had great warm custard with a hint of orange and whisky chocolate cheesecake.

I'm still baffled why the restaurant stays in the highlands when they could, with the quality of food they make, try their luck in the bigger cities.

If you don't have a car, Oakwood is a little difficult to get to (8 minutes from Inverness to Dochgarroch/Lockend by the #17/117 or #19 bus or taxi), but worth it, because you shouldn't leave Inverness without coming to this restaurant!

1 Thank foodie5000_12
“Lovely home style coming!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here late afternoon en route home from a country drive. The restaurant was empty upon arriving and we were promptly served by the owners.

The gentleman serving was attentive without being overbearing. He is very proud of their establishment and this shows in the passion when he speaks of the restaurant.

The food was excellent and I salute the fact that they do their own thing and don't buck to trends. What a lovely treat to go somewhere and not be served frozen slop. We both had the homemade lemonade which was outstanding alongside our steaks. The meal was very reasonable and portions generous.

1 Thank Caithnessian