“Questionable place to stay”
Review of Pottery Bunkhouse

Pottery Bunkhouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Pottery Bunkhouse
Reviewed February 17, 2014

You can stay here; the location is fine, sleep quality is fine, it is reasonably well equipped.

However, the owner is very rude and may try to rip you off. We ultimately paid £17pppn, as website says, which is the standard for this kind of accommodation - good value overall.

For peace of mind, you might want to try the village hall instead (google for details), which also has cooking facilities and is closer to Gaskmore Hotel (should you want a restaurant).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank cristobaldela
There are newer reviews for Pottery Bunkhouse

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Wonderful coffee shop with stylish gifts, clothing and jewellery. Lynda, the owner, is a delightful person and make some yummy cakes. The carrot cake is fantastic!

The recipes for the cakes are in Joan"s Recipes by Ken Whitty
All the proceeds from the sale of this book will go to St.Teresa"s Cheshire Home in appreciation for the way Linda"s brother Martin was looked after who died in August 2007 age 53 at St.Teresa"s at Long Rock ,Cornwall
Couldn't recommend more highly.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay in the area and this seemed one of the few places to offer group accommodation. When I rang the owner to enquire about booking the 5 bed bunkhouse room I assumed the price on the website was correct but I felt like I was being almost told off because she had changed the prices but hadn't altered the website and I was made to feel rather stupid even though I could have possible known that the prices had risen by £20. Initially I was anoyed at her rudeness and I put the phone down, however after searching for other accommodation I realised I couldn't get anything else in the area so reluctantly phoned back and booked.
We paid in full but when we arrived the owner had forgotten we were coming and seemed rather flustered at first but was then very friendly and seemed pleased to have us stay.
We luckily had the whole place to ourselves. The bunkhouse is basic but it did have everything we needed for our overnight stay. The kitchen is well stocked with pans and utensils and the woodburning stove was a nice touch in the lounge area. the bedrooms and bathrooms are basic and compared to other accommodation which we stayed in during our trip to scotland. we paid the same price in other areas and seemed to get a lot more for our money. But it suited our needs and if I were in the area again I would stay another night.
The owner is currently building a pizza restaurant which could be a good option for an evening meal in the future.
We were not lucky enough to make use of the coffee shop but it looked lovely and we did try some of the cakes which were very tasty but again over priced.

overall I think the bunkhouse Is a good place for an overnight stop for a group of friends.the bathrooms and the general living area could have been cleaner but its a bunkhouse not a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank charlie_pigeon
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Visited the Pottery Bunkhouse for lunch on a rather cold, overcast summers day (typical!) looking for something warm and homely and that is exactly what we found. I cannot praise the home-baking enough. One of us had just a scone and tea which was reportedly wonderful, the other two had the soup of the day, courgette and basil, accompanied by homemade bread which was possibly the best I have ever tasted. However, none of us could resist the tempting selection of cakes and treats on offer. I succumbed to a slice of coffee cake which was once again up there with the very best, I could have eaten three more it was so delicious! The other two members of the group had a lemon slice and another cake leading to likewise favourable reports.
In terms of service the very small cafe/shop was packed with tables and chairs jostling for space amongst the goods from the shop. In some cases this is unavoidable although we felt that the space could have been better utilsed. Additionally the man taking the cash and operating the till seemed rather clueless thought he did not get flustered despite queues of customers building up and dealt with everything with a brilliant sense of humour. The woman who was clearing tables did not appear so calm on the other hand and became quite agitated. Despite these hiccups everything was alright on the night and judging by the amount of sit-down and take-away customers most people were pleased.
Overall this is the perfect stop for replenishment on a long journey or just a tasty treat and cup of coffee. Pottery Bunkhouse would definitely be 5 stars for what it offers if not for the crowded cafe and shaky service. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stop here on the way to the Isle of Skye, we were served by lovely people and had delicious tea and cakes. On our way home we headed for the cafe again, what a mistake. We were served again by 2 pleasant young men and sat down to enjoy our tea and scones. Then the owner arrived, she started berating the 2 men and was so loud. She came to our table and was very rude to us, felt like we were back at school, she saw i had jam with my scone so the men were told off for giving jam with the scones and washing the jam pots up after being used instead of just refilling them very unhygenic.This went on for about 10 mins. Feeling very uncomfortable we quickly left with our scones in a napkin. As we left she was still shouting at the 2 men outside. I think this lady needs a course in customer service. We will go back again but will check if she is around first.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JanBridlington
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stopped by on our travels through the Cairngorms and were very pleased to see such a selection of cakes and snacks. The homemade soup and cheese scones were delicious and the coffee was perfect. Worth stopping by if you are a little peckish!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I have been customers at the Pottery/Cafe for over 20 years (never had need to stay in the bunkhouse although we have viewed it). Unfailingly good quality home-made cakes, filled rolls, soup and hot drinks. It makes a great 'pit stop', only 6 miles off the A9, but we were on a 'day out' and it says something that we chose it as a 'destination', driving a 100 mile round trip for sublime lemon drizzle cake and tea bread. Good, proper, coffee too. Despite never needing anything we always end up being seduced by the beautiful clothing, cards and pottery oddments. Yesterday it was cards, but the knitwear is very hard to resist. Unfortunately there isn't so much pottery to be had these days, but what remains is good. The service is always friendly, but it's a small place: if you happen to arrive at the same time as a lot of other people, you'll need to be patient. Customers have trouble choosing between the amazing cake selection and the staff won't rush you! In fine weather there is a 'sit-ooterie' but yesterday wasn't that great so we enjoyed the wood burner in the cafe instead.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends