“Fabulous birthday meal - best we've had in a long while” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nico's Bistro and Bar - CLOSED

Nico's Bistro and Bar
Cuisines: European, British, Grill, Fusion, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our in house bar restaurant - Nicky Tam's - offers a relaxed and casual atmosphere with a menu serving traditional Scottish food with the finest local produce, ales and premium spirits... While we have a wide choice of wine by the glass, cocktails, a selection of 80 pure malt whisky and more than 10 Scottish gin... Nicky tam's also offers all the favourite classics such as Steak Pie, Haggis, Burgers, Cullen skink and even more on our specials board. With a mix of granite and wood walls, tartan furniture, burning stoves, the scene is set for a family gathering, relaxing afternoon tea, business meeting or simply catching up with friends to get a away from the stresses of the daily routine. We have a large selection of wine by the glass, cocktails, over 80 pure malt whiskies and more than 10 Scottish gins... Please ask for our drink and whisky list at the bar. Definitely worth a look! Our bar is open all day for drinks and coffee, we serve food from 12 to 2:30pm for lunch and from 5pm until 9pm for dinner. Please note that we open for lunch during the winter on booking only
Derby, United Kingdom
“Fabulous birthday meal - best we've had in a long while”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was Yvonne's, er, 49th birthday again, and we decided we should should go somewhere special. We were having a look around Loch Ness and after having been for a cruise on the Loch, (very good but somewhat spoilt by this big fishy thing that kept on following our boat, we decided to consult Trip Advisor and we came up with Nico's which looked just what we wanted, so we made the booking there and then.

When we arrived at Nico's later that evening, we were very much taken by the restaurant and the friendly welcome. The meal itself was just what we wanted, Yvonne had the monkfish and I had loads of mussels. The highlight for me was the nougat ice-cream dessert the like of which I had never tasted before. I just couldn't get enough of it and could not stop talking about it.

Very friendly and efficient waiter, who, although, to me he sounded French, he came from an Eastern Bloc country, I can't remember which one, but he made our evening with his efficient and attentive service and gentle conversation. I hope he got to keep the tip we gave him.

We would both highly recommend this restaurant - very please we found it. Thanks Trip Advisor!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Nico's Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
The Manager

Edinburgh
“Too Greasy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We decided to take our meal in the bar which is well laid out with historical artefacts to give it highland feel. My wife ordered battered fish and I had the chicken breast and opted for the sautéed potatoes to go with it.
On arrival it was well laid out and presentable but we both found the fish and chicken to be greasy. Why that was, who knows but sadly it spoiled our meal. That said we saw another guest who had ordered one of their steak pies, which was huge and came in its own pie dish topped with pastry.
The guest was quickly on his phone and having photographed it; spoke to a friend highlighting its size and taste. So there you go, it all depends what you order. Would we go back, I have to honest and say no.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
glenmhormanager, Manager at Nico's Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal and would like to add that this is not representative from Nico's.
Please come and try again... in hope you might regain your faith in our restaurant.
We will look after you!
Best regards
Brownsville, Maryland
“Excellent food, good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We liked everything about Nico's. The atmosphere was pleasant and not noisy, the service was friendly and efficient, and the food and drink excellent.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank acdixon65
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Nico's Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
The Manager
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went into Nico's for my partner's birthday meal whilst staying in a neighbouring guesthouse and we were both really glad that we did.

It's a strange place - has some elements of a fine dining restaurant (can I take your jacket sir?) but in a pub-like atmosphere. Personally I usually avoid fine dining establishments because, outside of work (where I often wear a suit), I'm a jeans n trainers guy and I rarely feel comfortable in such places. In here though, despite a mostly older and better dressed diner population, I didn't feel out of place.

We went for three courses as it was a special occasion and I started off with a potted rabbit which was presented beautifully on a wooden slab with a small lidded pot and some salad and small toasted bred slices.. it tasted as good as it looked! For main, I went for the special which was a pork steak with peppercorn sauce, chunky fries and onion rings. My partner had the rump of lamb and both meals were excellent in both presentation and flavours.

After this, we pigged out and had dessert.. my partner having the cheesecake which was she enjoyed and I had the bread & butter pudding which was one of the best I've ever had (and I've had a few).

Overall, considering we had three courses and several drinks (including wine), the price was quite reasonable and with the service having been efficient but friendly (not stuffy which I appreciated), we left a decent tip too.

I'd highly recommend Nico's to anyone staying in Inverness ad looking for a nice meal.

1 Thank MProudfoot
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Nico's Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent meal with us and giving us such a fantastic 5 Star Review.

We're glad that you enjoyed your meal and the atmosphere in the restaurant. It will be my pleasure to share your good comments with the whole team.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

kind regards
“So disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend and I decided to go out for a special birthday dinner (friday 21st June). We decided to try something different and opted for Nico's. the restaurant itself has a cozy and casual atmosphere and the menu seemed to be rather interesting with a good selection of meat and seafood dishes. The only good thing about our dinner was the wine. Some if the faults we found with our dinner included rabbit hair in the potted rabbit starter. Dry, glutinous mashed potato that had been so overworked before serving it had pretty much turned into stringy glue. The homemade brioche that accompanied the pudding was so hard and tough it nearly choked my friend . When we expressed our disappointment with our meal, we were flippantly told that no one else has complained. We quickly paid and left. We won't be back. I think the thing that is most annoying is that they simply don't care. Money is too hard earned to be spent on people who honestly couldn't care less if you enjoyed dinner or not.

1 Thank Mrs E
glenmhormanager, Manager at Nico's Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Very sorry to hear of your disappointment.
We came to see you three time during your dinner. As you made a comment on the chicken dish that was a bit dry for your liking, we brought you some complimentary sauce. You looked delighted and your plate came back to us…clean!
A shame that you haven’t expressed your disappointment while eating. We could have done even more to please you!
We look froward to welcoming you back again soon hopefully.

Best Regards