“One of the best in Inverness” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe 1

Cafe 1
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe 1 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 251 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Inverness, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Inverness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good food and atmosphere and the owner is always about to supervise and give a hand. It serves meals all day which is a great plus. It can get quite busy though and I'd advise booking.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Could do with being a bit more personal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We really like this restaurant the only downfall is that we would rather have the same waiter/waitress all night and that you can't carry bin bags through the eating area. Other than that the service is really quick and the food and atmosphere are excellent.

Elgin, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

First visit to this restaurant, excellent food and attentive service. Didn't have a booking but managed to get a table, we both had butternut squash soup which was delicious. I had sea bass which was cooked to perfection and my husband had pork.
Will definitely return and make sure we book to guarantee a table,

• Visited October 2012
Nairn, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Inverness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Well I normally have a notepad and write down negative notes and positive notes when I have a meal for my reviews. Well the negative column has nothing in it.... nothing... that never happens.

Before we even arrived I was pleased when I had to call an hour before and knock our booking down from eleven people to five which even took us off the set menu which was very clearly and easily explained to us at the time. There was no fuss at all they just changed the tables quite happily.

We had the wood pigeon which could have maybe used something to give it more bulk, it was a touch light for a starter but my god was it cooked perfectly and the pumpkin puree and garlic were just perfectly cooked and the red wine and thyme reduction. So full of flavor. All round a great little appetizer.

For the main I had the Angus fillet steak , mushroom duxcelle, caramelized shallots, crisp fried potatoes, spinach & whisky grain mustard sauce. I couldn't fault it and I had to go and check what was all in there now because I dived on it. Steak was cooked perfectly and a very nice size. It's very rare I eat Shallots but the caramelisation on them was amazing. The potatoes made a nice change to chips and they were packed fill of flavor and I could have just had a plate of them and been happy.

and the Cranachan, god the Cranachan. It was perfect just what I want form a good Cranachan. plenty of raspberries to cut through he cream and subtle oats. It was perfect and the way it was presented was a work of art.

Well now lets gets down to the tiny little nitty little pokey things I could say that was bad just so I have something negative to say.

They had a new menu, one person out of five got the old menu which caused some confusion but one of the waitresses quickly noticed and changed it over for the new one without any fuss.

We didn't get asked if we wanted bread or drinks when we were seated BUT another waitress noticed right away and came over to offer us drinks, she knew the wine menu well and the cocktails well which prompted us to try on of the cocktails.

The oil and vinegar containers were quite small for the size of bread, being said the bread was very nice and fresh and for it's size not overly filling.

Atmosphere is tricky because there is nothing that could be done by the staff to help it but it was very noisy form other diners, I couldn't hear the chefs in the open kitchen right next to us over everyone else which made it hard to hear the waitresses and have a conversation it times.

That's it, the only negative points I can think of and if you've read any of my other reviews you know I'm not generous. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Hitting the money scale well there was five of us for three courses, we were sitting between £25 - £45 but that was with four of us having steak and cocktails and even without the steak I think it's well worth the cost.

In general the staff were very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable which made for a good dining experience and we had a wonderful time. The open kitchen was very nice to see as we were right in line of sight and it really makes you appreciate how much work goes into the food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
“very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

had the pork with asian style noodles (I think?) which was really really good. service was a little slow, and it was quite difficult to catch their attention, but the food pretty much made up for it. also had a coffee creme brulee which was just as enjoyable. prices were reasonable for the quality of food.

Visited September 2012