“Lovely ambience”

Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was our favourite restaurant in Inverness and we fit a lunch and dinner in.
The best thing for us was the ambience and staff who are so lovely and accommodating. We arrived on a Friday night and promptly took over the restaurant and they let us stay on probably until past close as when we left they were all sitting at a table just waiting for us to head off..oops.
The next day was one of those gloriously sunny days that Scotland is known for :) We took advantage of the outdoor seating on the third floor and enjoyed the outrageously cheap lunchtime special.
I notice some reviews lamented the decor and it was quite modern and casual as opposed to formal which perhaps it used to be? From our perspective that was exactly what we wanted so it suited us fine, although I can understand that it would be disappointing to have expected white tablecloths and seen the syrup tin.
Foodwise, the burger is on the small side and the fish dishes (I ordered the salmon special) could maybe have done with a sauce, but otherwise we found the food lovely.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have been coming here regularly for a while now and have always loved it. Unfortunately not anymore!
On our last visit we discovered the menu had been changed (I assume to milk the tourists). We didn't think too much of it as we don't mind paying a bit extra for good food, although I think hiking your prices up in tourist season is cheeky to say the least.
On top of this, the place has changed, the tables are bare which makes the place look really cold. They also don't set the table anymore, instead you get your cutlery in a syrup tin.
The food has really gone downhill, as has the service. We paid £18.25 for a rump steak and all it came with was chips! No bowls of lovely veg like you used to get, it was literally steak and chips, overcooked steak at that! My boyfriend had the 3 slider burgers which aren't far off £10, these 3 burgers came on a slate with nothing to accompany them.
In short, the prices have gone way up and the quality and service have gone way down.
Unfortunately we will be looking for a new favourite place to eat.

2  Thank SaraAY86
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Came here 4 years ago, and remember an absolutely wonderful steak. Came again in May 2013 - food wasn't bad, but experience wasn't quite as amazing as last time. Service standard used to be absolutel excellent - now it's good. Food was superb - now it's London prices for good but not sensational food. Wife's starter was definitely on the small side - just a few thin strips of trout and a couple of pieces of watercress, but at London prices. My main was good but for the price I'd expected something rather better. View of the river is nice though.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Have frequently gone to sister restaurant The Mustard Seed (just across the River Ness) but this was our first trip to The Kitchen. Some of the staff were familiar from the Mustard Seed as was the high quality of the food (both in terms of the ingredients used and the way they are cooked). Its a more modern menu though, quite different to anything else available in Inverness and all the better for it. The set lunch menu was incredible value - loved the beetroot and feta salad too. Have to mention the staff, very friendly but not overly intrusive. Highly recommended

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant has a very nice location, close to the river, and if you sit next to the window, the views are excellent. The menu is varied, and anyone can find something they would like. The food was good and tasty, the wine selection decent, and the prices as you would expect. I found the starters to be average both in quantity as taste, but the main dish, I would order again (I had fish, as most in my group), and my dinner company agreed with that. We had a local dessert that was good, but very rich and heavy. Service was friendly and casual and worked very well in the setting of the restaurant.