Norseman Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewssunday carverybuffet stylefresh fruitwedding venuewould stay againbusiness trippuddingwarm welcomejohn o groatsroastberriesandrewradiatorsweetsstopoverrearhighlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I booked this reluctantly at first for my recent business trip. I had read some of the reviews which said that it was dated and in need of attention but decided to go ahead anyway as the other hotel was almost twice the price!! From the outside the hotel does look dated and in need of some TLC, however on walking through the doors into the warm foyer I was slightly surprised at what I found. The welcome from the owner was warm and friendly and she talked me through what I could expect. My room was on the ground floor at the rear (101) and I was slightly relieved after the reviews about the boy racers causing noise at the front. The room was clean and tidy with everything I needed for my stay. A comfortable bed, desk to work on my laptop, TV with freeview and a clean and adequate bathroom. The restaurant is very pleasant and inviting with a good choice of food at a reasonable price. I had the Mac and Cheese followed by Creme Brûlée; very nice. The staff were friendly and attentive without being overly so. I had a good night sleep, only waking once with someone walking about upstairs; no different from a Travelodge type stay. The shower was piping hot although the pressure wasn't too great but this wasn't a real problem. Breakfast had a good choice of cooked Scottish breakfast which I enjoyed except for the black pudding which was a bit dry for my liking.
Overall my stay was very good and I will certainly not think twice about booking again when I return later in the year.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Andrew M, Owner at Norseman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear rigomortis,

thanks for your feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your candidness on what you thought of the exterior. We have concentrated on getting the internal experience to the standard we are proud of and will be starting the exterior project very soon although we have upgraded the gardens to the rear already.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 11, 2014

A sad trip for us to the Norseman. We drove 497 miles or 9.5 hours to the town of my much loved Aunt who had passed away the week before. We were greeted warmly, the house rules explained and we made our way to the bedroom. Yes it was dated in decor, but decorating was going on further down the corridor and the place was spotlessly clean. We made our way into the bar area and met my aunt's brother and family who were just about to eat. The evening meal was reasonably priced and very good. The roaring fire in the lounge made a great welcome for the relatives who had travelled far and wide. Breakfasts were good and much has already been made of the fresh fruit, but the cooked breakfast whilst basic was well cooked and set us up for the day. The staff could not do more for the guests from the reception staff to the bar staff to the dining room, not forgetting the hidden band of cleaners. As everyone descend on the hotel on Friday night the hotel managed to cater for 40 more people for dinner than expected, all without complaint. We were the only two members of the family to stop over the third night and elected to eat in the bar area - much to our surprise it and the dining room was full of locals - indicative of how good and reasonably priced the food is. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Seagulls are a feature of a seaside town - you can't avoid them :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Andrew M, Owner at Norseman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Mairi M,

sorry your visit was under such circumstances. Thanks for staying with us and passing your feedback to us, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are decorating and continually updating the rooms and the roaring fire is a feature that signifies how happy we are to welcome guests into the Norseman and also to have them stay and eat with us too.

Thanks for bringing your friends and family to dine with us, hope you had a safe journey home,

kind regards

Reviewed February 8, 2014

A pleasant hotel, staff all very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts good and I did like the fact that they started at 6.30 am, which is great if you are on business and need to get out early. Room was very nice and comfortable, with free WiFi which is useful when you are away on business. Only down side as other reviewers have stated is the car park opposite with the boy racers who meet up in the car park opposite. Mind you that is not the fault of the hotel. They are noisy but one night of my stay it was raining cats and dogs so they left early!
Plenty of parking and a short walk into Wick centre. Also good if you use the bus to get about as I did as the bus stop is outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Purplehazze
Andrew M, Owner at Norseman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Purplehazze,

thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and service, we are happy to provide early breakfast and free wifi as standard to all our guests.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the carpark and we are working together with the local council and police to eradicate the inconvenience. We have made quite an improvement and with us at 11pm locking the car park gates on behalf of the council it has made further improvement to the situation.

Hope to welcome you back to the Norseman in the near future,
Kind regards

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during a Motorsport event as a stopover. We had a fine meal and the staff were friendly, helpful and very pleasant.

Rooms clean if a little dated, but all in all a good place to stay. The hotel is right in the centre of Wick, with good parking and amenities close by. Well done to the team at the Norseman, superb customer service .

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank pinkfoot
Andrew M, Owner at Norseman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Pinkfoot
Thanks for the lovely comments, delighted to pass on your feedback with the team.
Hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had our works Christmas do here, 50+ people all sitting down at once, but we all got served quickly and the food was amazing. every plate was full and no one left the table hungry! The final course was a buffet desert, and my plate was a selection of the goodies, and just finished the whole meal off. My main was the full turkey trimmings meal! and full of meat and goodies!
I can highly recommend here having eaten before but this was special and great!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ruan P,
Delighted you enjoyed your Christmas do and really appreciated you dining with us more than once. Hope you had nice festive period and ate lots more tasty puddings!
Thanks again