“Very Nice Food”

No 1 Bistro
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Wick
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: World record holder for the shortest street in the world.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

had no reservation here but we were seated immediately.
Didnt have a starter but was offered bread which we declined...looked nice though
I had the burger and chips which was nicely presented and tasted lovely while my companion had the chicken and haggis which I had a taste of....delicious
we both had sticky toffee pudding which was nice but not worth the price...
overall I thought it was a nice setting and I would return but I wouldn't pay for a sweet again....far to expensive

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is the place to eat in Wick. The food is interesting well presented and good value and the staff are all trying to provide the best service.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a strange place! Walking in off the street, I certainly was not made to feel welcome. I recommend booking if you want to eat here. The lighting was uncomfortable.

The Mey lamb dish was truly delicious! That's a problem in itself, because the portions are very small, and I really wanted much more of this!

Disappointingly, there was only one fish dish on offer, and it was haddock and chips.

Service was variable, from highly enthusiastic to perfunctory. The manager/owner(?) comes around and asks you if everything is ok, but leaves before he has heard the answer.

Fresh petit-fours - wonderful.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in Wick for one night and enjoyed a very nice dinner at No 1 Bistro. It was busy but we didnt have to wait very long for a table. The food was very nice and the staff were friendly and pleasant.No 1 Bistro is situated on the smallest street in the world as per the Guiness book of records.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a small restaurant in the Mackays Hotel and, whilst staying at the hotel, was always busy. Booking is advised. The food is very good, but I felt that the chef was trying too hard to impress in a small, northern Scottish town. The menu choices were very limited and quite fancy – pigeon starter anyone? There is a ‘specials board’ but, again, this was very limited and did not change much. Some items were off menu at an early time, which is not good when the choices are limited.

The really big area complaint is the service. Way too slow. Ordering drinks was such a chore as they have some good, local ales displayed on the bar. 7 minutes later and it’s ‘sorry, we don’t have that beer in the fridge at the moment’.

‘What do you have?’

‘I’ll check.’

After about 12 minutes I finally got a beer (and it’s not much better if your selection is a draught beer either). Watching the five. I kid you not, five waiting staff take nearly 15 minutes to complete a drinks order for four people was sheer torture.

Free whiskey liquors is scant reward for such poor service.